Let’s talk about Dak’s completion percentage

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Another interesting stat there, is that among full time starters, Dak is 2nd in aggressiveness and tied for 3rd in fewest interceptions, behind only Rodgers and Brees.
I should have looked further, but was focused on comp % since that was the original topic.

Good find.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Plenty of short passes these days.
Even the TD pass last game was basically a handoff.

As long as you have a decent run game, you can sometimes get away with dink/dunk..and it can even effective in controlling the clock.
Sometimes

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
2016 he didn't ball out.. 13-3 ROTY
team went 13-3, not Dak.

I don't put much stock in ROTY, POTY or any of that fan/media driven stuff. totally irrelavant to any debate about any player..... and realistically if anyone deserved the ROTY it would have been Zeke, who produced almost 2000 yards from scrimmage..... and was tops or top 3 RB in the league including carries, yards, average, TDs...compared to Dak who was 19th in passing, 23rd in pass attempts, 15th in TDs....the TEAM played it safe with Dak. They still do. they put the game in Zeke's hands. its no surprise when Zeke was out Dak was 3-3. and even this year, when Zeke does well, we win. when he doesn't we lose. regardless of how Dak does.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Romo also completed 70% of his passes with an 8.5yds avg and 34 TDs on the year. He was still incredibly productive. Those are great passing numbers considering Murray had nearly 400 attempts on the year.
very true. we had a top 10 offense and top 5 scoring offense.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Completion % on its own and out of context is meaningless. We benched Brandon Weeden in 2015 and he was completing 72% of his passes. Completion % is a small part of a much larger picture.
That's pretty much true for any stat.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
team went 13-3, not Dak.

I don't put much stock in ROTY, POTY or any of that fan/media driven stuff. totally irrelavant to any debate about any player..... and realistically if anyone deserved the ROTY it would have been Zeke, who produced almost 2000 yards from scrimmage..... and was tops or top 3 RB in the league including carries, yards, average, TDs...compared to Dak who was 19th in passing, 23rd in pass attempts, 15th in TDs....the TEAM played it safe with Dak. They still do. they put the game in Zeke's hands. its no surprise when Zeke was out Dak was 3-3. and even this year, when Zeke does well, we win. when he doesn't we lose. regardless of how Dak does.

Zeke averaged 3.2 ypc against the Saints, lowest of his season, and we won.

Zeke averaged 8.7 ypc against Seattle, his highest of season, and we lost.

Dak was incredible in 2016, there's no denying it. 19th in passing yards and 15th in passing TDs despite only having the 23rd most pass attempts is so damn impressive. They didnt play it safe with Dak, we were ahead so often that we ran out the clock and grinded our way to victories.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Come on man, you know that's false.

If it was up to the same people who hate Dak, Tom Brady would have never been allowed to sign a second contract with the Cowboys. Tom Brady did not become "Tom Brady" until his breakout year after teaming up with Randy Moss in 2007.

Before Randy Moss? NEVER had 30 TDs in a season. And in 5 of 7 years as a starter, was UNDER 7.0 ypc all the while NEVER hitting more than 64% of his passes.

Sure he won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, but go look at his playoff game logs. Only 2 of 9 games he was over 300 yards. But outside of those two games, he never broke 240 and had more games UNDER 150 yards than he had over 300 (3).

Tom Brady RARELY carried the Patriots his first several years. What he was was careful to not put his defense in bad situation and clutch when he needed to be.

"But that was before all the rules that made offense so easy!!!" I can hear now. While true, it's not like the Cowboys run a modern offense either. Instead, we go by just beat the man in front of you every play, even if the routes tell you to run RIGHT TO the defender and just turn around.

QB's are not like coaches or other players. You cant just go out and get one. Great ones don't become available often and young ones have to be developed and a lot of assets can go into it. Nothing is guaranteed. Were lucky to find Dak with a 4th round pick. Until the next great QB is possible Dak is the guy. Develop the guy you have until the next guy comes.

SackMaster

Reaction score
QB's are not like coaches or other players. You cant just go out and get one. Great ones don't become available often and young ones have to be developed and a lot of assets can go into it. Nothing is guaranteed. Were lucky to find Dak with a 4th round pick. Until the next great QB is possible Dak is the guy. Develop the guy you have until the next guy comes.
I'm pretty sure Bill said something to the effect that finding a QB was easy. All you had to do was dial 1-800-Quarterback and just order one.

I'm getting older, so that may not be right. But I'm going to assume it is correct since sooooooo many think that replacing Dak with someone better can happen just like that.
[/sarcasm]

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Bill said something to the effect that finding a QB was easy. All you had to do was dial 1-800-Quarterback and just order one.

I'm getting older, so that may not be right. But I'm going to assume it is correct since sooooooo many think that replacing Dak with someone better can happen just like that.
[/sarcasm]

This is the HUGE void in their argument. The answer is pretty simple. Continue to develop Dak and continue to draft young QB's with talent.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
please watch the video'/
Xavier Su'a-Filo & Cam Fleming || Dallas Cowboys O- Line Film Session
su'a or Williams? who many criticized and wanted benched.

and those same linemen blocked for Zeke too....read my post again.....regardless of the OL, when zeke does well, we win. when he doesn't we lose.....Dak about the same in either case....

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
2016 he didn't ball out.. 13-3 ROTY

I'll help you further waving

In 2016 the Cowboys passing attack was one of the best in the league. We completed 68% of our passes- 483 attempts that resulted in 191 first downs and 25 TDs so on nearly 45% of passing ATTEMPTS not completions we gained a 1st down or touchdown.

We are 5th best in the league in net yards per attempt. 5TH BEST IN THE LEAGUE ON THE MOST IMPORTANT PASSING STAT!?

Despite having only the 30th most passing attempts we had the 14th most passing TDs, that's damn near incredible and we wont see anyone repeat that for a long time.

All of this while only giving up 6 INTs on the entire season(Dak only had 4 of those, while Sanchez had two in 18 attempts).

Balling out might be an understatement haha.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Zeke averaged 3.2 ypc against the Saints, lowest of his season, and we won.

Zeke averaged 8.7 ypc against Seattle, his highest of season, and we lost.

Dak was incredible in 2016, there's no denying it. 19th in passing yards and 15th in passing TDs despite only having the 23rd most pass attempts is so damn impressive. They didnt play it safe with Dak, we were ahead so often that we ran out the clock and grinded our way to victories.
you must be hard of reading and comprehension

again, I said yards from scrimmage not average YPC....

and I did mention we are 6-1 when he does. 1-4 when he doesn't...which if you pay attention is not all or nothing. we have when he doesn't do well, but only once, losing 4 times....we do well when he does well, but we lost one game...

19th in passing, 15th in TDs is not amazing. its good. when things are perfect for Dak, he does good (not great, not elite). when something is off, wheels come apart seemingly

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
you must be hard of reading and comprehension

again, I said yards from scrimmage not average YPC....

and I did mention we are 6-1 when he does. 1-4 when he doesn't...which if you pay attention is not all or nothing. we have when he doesn't do well, but only once, losing 4 times....we do well when he does well, but we lost one game...

19th in passing, 15th in TDs is not amazing. its good. when things are perfect for Dak, he does good (not great, not elite). when something is off, wheels come apart seemingly

Yards from scrimmage doesnt mean ****. YPC is much better indicator of performance.

Of course you have more total yards during wins, EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD KNOWS THAT, because youre playing with a lead. Unless you dont have a knack for comprehension. And when you're losing you tend to pass more to make up.

Strictly using bulk stats like you do really highlights how little you know about football.

And that's such a ridiculous thing to say that everything has to be perfect or the wheels come off.
Dak is playing at a very high level right now with three backup Olinemen, two of which are taking spots of All-Pros. His starting TE has been injured and the TEs under him are even worse than the starter who is nothing special. He plays under one of the worst OCs in the league. So yeah OTHER THAN PLAYING BEHIND THREE BACKUP OLINE SCRUBS, HAVING NO ABOVE AVERAGE RECEIVING THREATS OTHER THAN COOPER, AND PLAYING FOR LINEHAN EVERYTHING IS PERFECT FOR DAK AND THAT'S WHY HE'S DOING WELL. Lol, can't fix stupid.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yards from scrimmage doesnt mean ****. YPC is much better indicator of performance.

Of course you have more total yards during wins, EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD KNOWS THAT, because youre playing with a lead. Unless you dont have a knack for comprehension. And when you're losing you tend to pass more to make up.

Strictly using bulk stats like you do really highlights how little you know about football.
no its not. in the end, how you play and how many Yards you get and the game plan. if the YPC is low and you still get your yardage, it was part of the game plan the coaches carried out.......

and in many of those games, we were within one score in the 4th quarter, so its not like you can just burn the clock, except maybe in the last couple of minutes. including this past game....... I think you comprehension and football knowledge lacks. its like you are watching a movie through a keyhole and making over arching conclusions.......

the fact is that when we are down a couple of scores in the 4th, our passing game has not been able to bail us out. so Dak collects garbage yards to pat the stats you like to throw around so much. two games come to mind, including Panthers and Titans.....

fact are we are 25th offensively....but 6th rushing team in the league..... tells you who we are and what Dak is.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
What you need to be looking at is situational stats. What’s the % on third downs for a first down,red zone,ect ? That tells the story more clearly than just completion percentages.