Let 'em both walk? Build around Zeke, Pollard and Gallup?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
2000 Bmore Ravens with Jamal Lewis and Shannon Sharpe (close enough to a dominant WR back then) along with their dominant defense? Dilfer... enough said. Lol. It worked for a year.
yes, and they had one of the all time best defenses. if not the best defense of all time. conveniently not mentioned......if you would have said lets build a top notch defense, ala ravens or SF, then you might have had a case...enough said.

and its funny. you mention the 2000 ravens. in over 50 years of superbowls...and 100 superbowl participants...one team...I guess you like to go by exception rather than the rule

so if I applied your rule can I mention rams greatest show on turf?

no really enough said!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Which team has won a Super Bowl tying up 20% of the cap on its QB and a third of the cap on just three players? The list is probably equally empty. By the way the 90's Cowboys and Broncos were both built around their running backs. They had a QB capable of greatness in their back pocket.. but both those teams won because of the running back and of course.. playing good defense.
the 90s...that's 2 decades ago. the game has changed and is more pass oriented. and playing good defense. so lets talk about building a defense instead of building around gallup and pollard and zeke!!!

its a non disputed fact that our defense has been pretty bad. our special teams have been pretty bad. so we need to focus on those areas. we have had a bad draft this past year and the previous year wasn't anything to write home about outside of gallup. we need to draft better.

and outside of the ravens, no team has been able to win without good QB play, unless you have a great great great defense. we have a lot of holes in our defense. most teams win with QB, good passing offense and a good defense. no need to be a great all time defense.

I can understand the angst about paying Dak, but what's the alternative...lets say we don't sign Dak, how do we fill the gap on defense? when we need two safties, two CBs, two DTs and a RDE and perhaps a LB if LVE is not fully back. and they all better be really really good.

btw, 2013, manning had 19 mill average salary and cap was 123....that's 15%.

Eli Manning in 2011 salary was 11% of the teams cap...he was the highest paid player in 2009 and yet went on to win the superbowl...

Peyton Manning in 2006 was at 10%

I think when brady signed his extension at the age of 33 (wow almost 10 years ago), it made him the highest paid player in the league at the time...

so its not about where you are now, but given league cap is rising every year and with new CBA rising even faster/larger, then the percentage becomes smaller

and if we applied the logic, then should KC not sign Mahomes as I am sure he will break the bank...the all time bank. if we had mahomes, and he wanted to average $50 or 52M a year, would you say no?

Last edited:

montgod

Reaction score
yes, and they had one of the all time best defenses. if not the best defense of all time. conveniently not mentioned......if you would have said lets build a top notch defense, ala ravens or SF, then you might have had a case...enough said.

and its funny. you mention the 2000 ravens. in over 50 years of superbowls...and 100 superbowl participants...one team...I guess you like to go by exception rather than the rule

so if I applied your rule can I mention rams greatest show on turf?

no really enough said!
Lol.. I agree. Was just playing devil's advocate. I've said all along, there is a way out of all this, but no matter what it is (i.e. trade, draft, etc.), I wouldn't feel comfortable with this FO to do anything that would end up being more successful than to take the easier road in re-signing Dak. I do give them a very very small amount of credit for not trying or wanting to repeat the mistakes of the past (i.e. Romo's contract), but at this point in the offseason/contract negotiations, it's way to late to consider much else. So I still blame them for being inept in making a clear decision on what their future direction would be and acting on it when they had the time to do so.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lol.. I agree. Was just playing devil's advocate. I've said all along, there is a way out of all this, but no matter what it is (i.e. trade, draft, etc.), I wouldn't feel comfortable with this FO to do anything that would end up being more successful than to take the easier road in re-signing Dak. I do give them a very very small amount of credit for not trying or wanting to repeat the mistakes of the past (i.e. Romo's contract), but at this point in the offseason/contract negotiations, it's way to late to consider much else. So I still blame them for being inept in making a clear decision on what their future direction would be and acting on it when they had the time to do so.
I think we are all worried about the numbers as its represented today.....Eli became the highest paid player in the league in 2009 (I think) and they went on to win the superbowl in 2011....so everyone points to the year the superbowl was won and the QB salary percentage that year....given salary cap goes up and is going to accelerate with the new CBA, then in a couple of years Dak's cap hit will be much smaller....

and we have escaped dead cap money and have had lowest actual payout to players over the past few years, but we probably need to change a few things and accept the fact that we may end up in cap hell in 5 or 6 years, but we can have a window of 5 or 6 years to make a run.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The poster tried to save money. I was giving him the only real option.
that's the problem with most posters...its not about winning the spreadsheet cap math....its about winning superbowl...put the winning formula together or present the winning formula...realistic one, not a Madden 2019 version....that's what most posters ignore.

blueblood70

Reaction score
thats not a great plan entirely BUT

Dak under the FT SHOULD HAVE AN OFFENSE BUILT AROUND THOSE 3 IN AN INNOVATIVE PASS GAME USING THE RBS AND TE MORE THEN THE LAST FEW YEARS..add in we have an opportunity to draft stud WR and not overpay for Cooper..so cooper gone isnt that big a deal..SO ALL TEAMS LOSE A FEW STARS AND THIS YEAR ITS COOP AND BJ most likely gone..

theres vets out there a lot cheaper to FILL IN ..its not over lol

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I didn't include it in the OP but it goes without saying that building around the running game and Gallup means flipping the script to becoming a hard nosed defensive team that runs the ball down your throat. I didn't think I needed to say that but I guess I should have. This comes for a place of my being a person who loves Dak and Amari.. but just doesn't believe signing them both to monster deals is in the best interest of the team. If they do it we will suck for the foreseeable future because we will be gutted of our other good players with no end in sight. I would rather go the other direction because at least if we do that and do it right we'll be a good team. I like the odds of being a good team in that scenario better than the odds of being a good team with a bunch of bums on defense and a boatload of overpaid talent on offense. We saw that play out in the late 90's and nobody liked how that turned out.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Brady would cost more then 33 million to get him to Dallas. Maybe Winston would sign cheap. Everything else you wrote sounds good in theory.
Not liking Brady personally. Winston is the top turnover machine now, maybe in all of history of the world.

I'd like to get Bridgewater, dump Dak.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Not liking Brady personally. Winston is the top turnover machine now, maybe in all of history of the world.

I'd like to get Bridgewater, dump Dak.
You would give Bridgewater 30+? He is a top 25 quarterback while Dak is top 12. Also he has played for three different teams and had a bad injury. No thanks, better off drafting a quarterback.

starfan1

Reaction score
The move is to either tank or move up for a QB.

Getting Case Keenum is just stupid.
Tanking is more stupid. Not that i want case Keenum but you dont overpay a RB and overpay a DE and overpay a LB just to decide oh well the QB is being uncooperative so lets tank. If you cant get Dak into camp you get the best stop gap that you can and change you're draft plans a bit.If Keenum is that stopgap then so be it. And I dont believe the cowboys can tank enough to have a shot at Lawerence or Fields (not sure who the 2nd best prospect is. While theyre talent can be over rated at times they are not chopped liver

Rush may be able to get 4-6 wins probably 6 in our division. I dont think we have enough ammo to move up because of defensive needs.