Let 'em both walk? Build around Zeke, Pollard and Gallup?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
They are rebuilt. Who wants to go through another decade of rebuilding?! This new coaching staff will bring out the talent this team has that Garrett couldn't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tanking is more stupid. Not that i want case Keenum but you dont overpay a RB and overpay a DE and overpay a LB just to decide oh well the QB is being uncooperative so lets tank. If you cant get Dak into camp you get the best stop gap that you can and change you're draft plans a bit.If Keenum is that stopgap then so be it. And I dont believe the cowboys can tank enough to have a shot at Lawerence or Fields (not sure who the 2nd best prospect is. While theyre talent can be over rated at times they are not chopped liver

Rush may be able to get 4-6 wins probably 6 in our division. I dont think we have enough ammo to move up because of defensive needs.

Losing 1 year for the greater good is not a bad thing.

Being absolutely terrible for a season and getting a top flight QB wouldn't be a bad thing.

Right now we're about to lock our team into a QB that needs the 85 Bears defense and the 90's Cowboys offense.

Beaker42

Reaction score
You don’t build around skill positions, you build around a QB.
What if he has no one to QB to? They go hand in hand. Look at our WR play and production pre-Cooper. Dak was trying to pass to JAG’s. I rest my case.

starfan1

Reaction score
Losing 1 year for the greater good is not a bad thing.

Being absolutely terrible for a season and getting a top flight QB wouldn't be a bad thing.

Right now we're about to lock our team into a QB that needs the 85 Bears defense and the 90's Cowboys offense.
Thats a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion but youre entitled to your opinion. We cannot tank enough to get Lawerence if youre thinking that.Do you think these players have that mentality and the division we play in well get 6 wins easy. Did you see our schedule 3rd easiest?

If you were going to tank you should not have overpaid you're RB and DE don,t forget them while you're critiquing players

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just rolling this around in my mind. What would be the results if the team just let Amari and Dak both walk then loaded up on defense and signed a Brady, Brees or Rivers to lead the offense? Let the old vet hand off to Zeke 20 times a game and throw it to him another 5? Draft a defensive beast (or three) and get one of the 10 NFL caliber receivers in this year's draft to pair with Gallup who I think is about to make another leap. Then bring back Quinn and Byron and play like the Titans and Niners did last year, with a guy who CAN make the throws when asked that Tannehill can't and who won't choke on the biggest stage like Jimmy G. I would wager a team thusly constructed wins 12 games next year and has HFA in the playoffs.

LOL...……..yah, Zeke the great. And what a great leader Zeke is. Zeke the drunk, one drunk night away from a year long suspension.

Zeke didn't even show up until the 2nd half of the season.

Where has this team gotten handing off the Zeke 20 times?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Which team has won a Super Bowl tying up 20% of the cap on its QB and a third of the cap on just three players? The list is probably equally empty. By the way the 90's Cowboys and Broncos were both built around their running backs. They had a QB capable of greatness in their back pocket.. but both those teams won because of the running back and of course.. playing good defense.

So your advice is get a QB that sucks so bad you don't want to pay him? LOL

eromeopolk

Reaction score
No way they let Dak walk. He will at least play a year on the tag. Dak will not turn it down. he will bet on himself under the tag just as he bet on himself playing out his contract last season.

If Cooper is gone, it may not be as devastating as many think, it will just change their draft strategy. As many fans will not like it, as it may mean one less defensive player they could draft. However it opens up cap room to sign some defensive players as well.
Yes the draft strategy goes from only defense to needing offense (Jarwin can not block and could not make the Cowboys move from Witten) and defense. You are know back to the beginning of 2018 with no no.1 TE, no no.1 WR, a franchise QB on a 1 year deal, and Jerry Jones in the Hall of Fame before Jimmy Johnson.

How did that work for you. I guess Dez Bryant has a job now.

basel90

Reaction score
Just rolling this around in my mind. What would be the results if the team just let Amari and Dak both walk then loaded up on defense and signed a Brady, Brees or Rivers to lead the offense? Let the old vet hand off to Zeke 20 times a game and throw it to him another 5? Draft a defensive beast (or three) and get one of the 10 NFL caliber receivers in this year's draft to pair with Gallup who I think is about to make another leap. Then bring back Quinn and Byron and play like the Titans and Niners did last year, with a guy who CAN make the throws when asked that Tannehill can't and who won't choke on the biggest stage like Jimmy G. I would wager a team thusly constructed wins 12 games next year and has HFA in the playoffs.
Exactly right . Dak can go and embarass himself with another team . He is simply not accurate and we have seen him fold in big games. Heck , he was not able to wear the right glove against the patriots. He missed some receivers by 7-10 yards in many cases. He is not the type of QB to get you to the SB, he is just a serviceable bus driver.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
You would give Bridgewater 30+? He is a top 25 quarterback while Dak is top 12. Also he has played for three different teams and had a bad injury. No thanks, better off drafting a quarterback.
No, no way. I'd give him Bridgewater 24-25, let Dak go to whoever wants to pay his price.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Makes sense. Build a team around a questionable character guy that takes plays off. Especially a guy that has maybe 3 years left as a productive player. Yeah go with him.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
No quarterback? You'd better have the Raven and Bear defense together in this new NFL:facepalm:

Even that might not be enough these days. SF had a great defense and still could not stop Mahomes when it mattered. Seahawks won with a great defense but lets not kid ourselves and think Wilson was some spare who was carried. He was always a great QB. And showed he can still win playoff games even without that defense.

And even in SF, they still spent a ton of money on Jimmy G. It's not like he is some spare guy making little money like Dak was in his rookie deal.

You are not winning these days if you do not build around the QB.

Gallup is not even a #1 type WR. He looked good because Cooper. Make him the star guy and he will be badly exposed. Pollard is a generic RB. Why on earth would anyone think they are worth building around right now?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
thats not a great plan entirely BUT

Dak under the FT SHOULD HAVE AN OFFENSE BUILT AROUND THOSE 3 IN AN INNOVATIVE PASS GAME USING THE RBS AND TE MORE THEN THE LAST FEW YEARS..add in we have an opportunity to draft stud WR and not overpay for Cooper..so cooper gone isnt that big a deal..SO ALL TEAMS LOSE A FEW STARS AND THIS YEAR ITS COOP AND BJ most likely gone..

theres vets out there a lot cheaper to FILL IN ..its not over lol
which stud WR you have in mind? are you sure they will be available when we pick? are you sure they will turn into a stud in the NFL?

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd be fine w/ it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
which stud WR you have in mind? are you sure they will be available when we pick? are you sure they will turn into a stud in the NFL?
the draft is 3rounds deep with starting WRs..you saying its not carp shoot paying 100mil dollars to player who basically showed up I half the games last year and was hurt more then helathy? its all a gamble...part of the thrill of a season is not knowing the story that unfolding.. change is tough and io think the DC FO made huge mistake in year this deep with WRs paying AC that money..the dude is not motivated to be the best , he relies solely on his natural talent and plays when he decides he wants to Ie hes not driven or passionate.. its why the raiders traded him..dont get me wrong I like him but id take Julio, Hopkins or Thomas any day over coop and give up a draft pick in a trade vs just keeping coop..

I have bad feeling about this one....hope im worng