Let's assume Dak gets what he wants

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Haters and slobberers take a seat for a moment,,, this is a neutral opinion, observation.
So if Dak does get resigned I imagine we get 4 years min, and just drafted CD, so my point being there will be valuable time together in the near future.
How good could this chemistry develop?
Pairing two talented players is never a negative.
Im just trying to keep it real here.
Ive never said that Dak sucs,, all Ive ever looked at is the Dak implications on this teams ability to build and potentially win meaningful games.
If Dak is in the equation than his contract will negate a lot of what everyone expects from this FO to be able to change, esp on defense.
So the question really is and this "NEW" NFL model where contracts and player salary demands far exceed franchise building expectations.....
Can Dak and Lamb become a Brady to Moss connection that cant be defended?

I suppose the issue with your Dak to Lamb comparison to that of Aikman to Irvin is that in 2018 Dallas traded their 2019 1st round draft pick to then Oakland for WR Amari Cooper to provide Dak with that 'WR connection'......so now less than 2 years later (and after giving Cooper a $22M/year contract extension) people are proposing a Dak to Lamb connection? My point being first it was Dak to Dez....then Dak to Cooper....and now Dak to Lamb. That is 3 'QB to WR combinations' in 5 years........something is seriously wrong with that picture as it shows me that regardless of what WR Dak is in 'combination' with the team is not improving......so figure out the variable.

How many more 1st round picks and lopsided financial resources are going to be committed to the offense only to see little return on investment?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dak is a top 5 quarterback. You sign him and go get two 1sts if you want to move on. One thing I’ve noticed about the kid is every year he’s gotten better. Watching how stiff and bad his mechanics were his first two years in the league it’s like he’s a completely different quarterback today. I hope the progress would continue in spite of getting paid. It rarely does for players.. However, That said.

5,000 yard 30+ TD quarterbacks don’t grow on trees. He’d have a market.
We love developmental and rehab projects, Jerry missed his true calling, he should have invested in a rehabilitation clinic, he would have had the entire world praising him with his money and his compasion.
Instead he chose to buy a hobby that he has no clue how to operate, this game passed Jerry up when Jimmy left, and Switzer digested the hot dog.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I dont argue that premise at all,, my point was just that Aikmans strength was his ability to lead, that establishes trust, and then chemistry evolves.
Whats your point

Next time I feel moved to type it again, I'll type slower for your benefit.

Swagger

Reaction score
My long winded point was, can a talent like CD elevate an over payed decent QB like Dak Prescott with time together.
Like Aikman and Irvin had.
That was my point of emphasis.
I'm obviously not sold on Prescott but also Lamb made a significant number of key drops which were regulation catches as well. The Dalton haters just blanked those out but in reality it's a worry heading into next season regardless of who the QB is as they really were key drops that cost a bunch of points. I appreciate he generally looked very good and has immense scope but those drops are a worry - hopefully he will clean that up going forwards.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I suppose the issue with your Dak to Lamb comparison to that of Aikman to Irvin is that in 2018 Dallas traded their 2019 1st round draft pick to then Oakland for WR Amari Cooper to provide Dak with that 'WR connection'......so now less than 2 years later (and after giving Cooper a $22M/year contract extension) people are proposing a Dak to Lamb connection? My point being first it was Dak to Dez....then Dak to Cooper....and now Dak to Lamb. That is 3 'QB to WR combinations' in 5 years........something is seriously wrong with that picture as it shows me that regardless of what WR Dak is in 'combination' with the team is not improving......so figure out the variable.

How many more 1st round picks and lopsided financial resources are going to be committed to the offense only to see little return on investment?
Yes, and I understand,, believe me I understand...
Im just trying to somehow live in reality is all.
You know it to, but you just havent accepted the fact that Jerry is going to keep his projects, his toys, Jerrys toys.
Its hard to be a Cowboys fan, I respect all that endure... lol

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm obviously not sold on Prescott but also Lamb made a significant number of key drops which were regulation catches as well. The Dalton haters just blanked those out but in reality it's a worry heading into next season regardless of who the QB is as they really were key drops that cost a bunch of points. I appreciate he generally looked very good and has immense scope but those drops are a worry - hopefully he will clean that up going forwards.
Swag, the rook endured 4 QBs in his rookie season,,,,
Did you not see the glimpse?
Did you not recognize the potential greatness?
Just a glimpse?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dak 666 consumes and destroys all.....:(

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Houston radio shows are talking a "Herschel Walker" deal for DeShart Watstain when he's traded. He's getting 40M/yr according to them, and they will receive "franchise changing" draft picks for him - to the tune of 4 first rounders. LOLOL

Are there 2 Watsons and is there another football league I am unaware of? Watson is ok. He’s fine. 4 first rounders? Who believes this crap?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
At the end of the day this is on Jerry. Dak should have been the focus not the Cabo King. Market moved against Jerry. He screwed up. Again.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
With an elite team around him. He wouldn't last in todays NFL. He'd be sharing hospital rooms w/Wentzie!
Aikman would carve this league up with today's rules. Aikman played in a time when QBs could get hit without flags being thrown and his head was constantly bouncing off carpet laid over concrete instead of this soft, rubbery turf they play on today. Aikman could probably play into his 40s like Brady with the rules they have now.

Swagger

Reaction score
Swag, the rook endured 4 QBs in his rookie season,,,,
Did you not see the glimpse?
Did you not recognize the potential greatness?
Just a glimpse?
Yes I see the potential for him to become an excellent receiver but some of those drops were just inexcusable in my opinion.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Aikman would carve this league up with today's rules. Aikman played in a time when QBs could get hit without flags being thrown and his head was constantly bouncing off carpet laid over concrete instead of this soft, rubbery turf they play on today. Aikman could probably play into his 40s like Brady with the rules they have now.
Aikman played in a very fortunate era, and thats not taking anything away from Aikman as an athlete.
He was prototype QB in his era.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yes, and I understand,, believe me I understand...
Im just trying to somehow live in reality is all.
You know it to, but you just havent accepted the fact that Jerry is going to keep his projects, his toys, Jerrys toys.
Its hard to be a Cowboys fan, I respect all that endure... lol

Oh believe me I understand. Jerry has ruined this team for years and has turned into the Al Davis aerial offense show headed by his beloved Dak. Well, look at the difference between what Dallas does and what KC does in terms of asset allocation even while KC has the best QB in the league in Mahomes:

Dallas Positional Spending

2018: Offense $72.8M Defense $64.4M
2019: Offense $92.4M Defense $72.1M
2020: Offense $100.6M Defense $61.4M
2021: Offense $111.1M Defense $65.2M (projected based on current contracts; does not include Dak possible contract)

Kansas City Positional Spending

2018: Offense $71.6M Defense $77.5M
2019: Offense $85.2M Defense $57.5M
2020: Offense $98.3M Defense $97.7M
2021: Offense $99.9M Defense $94.1M

While dead money and injured reserve can play into the overall figures, the point is that KC has been maintaining a very close equal balance of salary cap dedicated towards offense and defense whereas Dallas is severely lopsided towards the offense.......and it continues this way with all of the talk to re-sign Dak Prescott to a large new contract.

Until this ownership commits to a total rebuild to include drafting a new QB and doing a better job at evenly allocating the salary cap we will continue to watch Dallas be an average at best team.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yes I see the potential for him to become an excellent receiver but some of those drops were just inexcusable in my opinion.
of course,, kid, rook.
The flash of greatness is what is most extractable at this point.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And here I thought I weeded out all the Dak haters. Ignore Ignited! With an elite team around him. He wouldn't last in todays NFL. He'd be sharing hospital rooms w/Wentzie!

I think you have this backwards. Troy would play until age 50 in today's "you can't even talk mean to the QB" league. It's the girls who can't be hit in today's game who would have trouble lasting in the eras when defenders could take the qb's head off and pick them up and body slam them. Oh and did I mention they played on AstroTurf? Which was basically green carpet over a concrete floor.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Oh believe me I understand. Jerry has ruined this team for years and has turned into the Al Davis aerial offense show headed by his beloved Dak. Well, look at the difference between what Dallas does and what KC does in terms of asset allocation even while KC has the best QB in the league in Mahomes:

Dallas Positional Spending

2018: Offense $72.8M Defense $64.4M
2019: Offense $92.4M Defense $72.1M
2020: Offense $100.6M Defense $61.4M
2021: Offense $111.1M Defense $65.2M (projected based on current contracts; does not include Dak possible contract)

Kansas City Positional Spending

2018: Offense $71.6M Defense $77.5M
2019: Offense $85.2M Defense $57.5M
2020: Offense $98.3M Defense $97.7M
2021: Offense $99.9M Defense $94.1M

While dead money and injured reserve can play into the overall figures, the point is that KC has been maintaining a very close equal balance of salary cap dedicated towards offense and defense whereas Dallas is severely lopsided towards the offense.......and it continues this way with all of the talk to re-sign Dak Prescott to a large new contract.

Until this ownership commits to a total rebuild to include drafting a new QB and doing a better job at evenly allocating the salary cap we will continue to watch Dallas be an average at best team.
Im totally onboard with the process of dumping vet QBs and reinvesting while building the rest of the roster, you eventually will hit, just like a slot machine in vegas.
My point on this whole subject is as fans we have to accept the fact that Jerry with all the financial resources at his disposal, knows that father time cant be beat.