Lets do a Comparison

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Lots of folks seem to be stuck on the idea that we NEED Earl Thomas. He sees to be the greatest player in the NFL. Lets check some stats and compare him to Byron Jones over the last 3 years.

Thomas- 200 Tackles (125 solo), 26 pass deflected, 9 ints (2 in each of the last 2 season) and 1 TD.

Jones- 236 tackles (177 solo), 24 pass deflected, 2 ints and 1 TD.

outside of the ints not much of a difference, Thomas wins the int catagory and the PD catagory (by 2) while Jones wins out on the tackles and solo tackles. They both have 1 TD in the same 3 year span.

Jones is moving back to corner I get that but Thomas is not going to solve our problems. You want a safety, us the pick to move up in the draft and get ones that will be here for the next 5 years and not break the bank!

conner01

Reaction score
Compare his 2017 stats with Jeff Heath's stats if you want something else to ponder. Thomas is a far superior player to either Heath or Jones, but the talk of giving up 2nd and 4th round picks for the guys is nothing but foolishness.
That’s the thing
Love to have the player if he was a free agent
Not in love with giving a top 3 pick for him

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I remember Anthony Brown's rookie year where people used "stats" to prove he was as good as Jalen Ramsey.

It was silly at the time and has not aged well.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lots of folks seem to be stuck on the idea that we NEED Earl Thomas. He sees to be the greatest player in the NFL. Lets check some stats and compare him to Byron Jones over the last 3 years.

Thomas- 200 Tackles (125 solo), 26 pass deflected, 9 ints (2 in each of the last 2 season) and 1 TD.

outside of the ints not much of a difference, Thomas wins the int catagory and the PD catagory (by 2) while Jones wins out on the tackles and solo tackles. They both have 1 TD in the same 3 year span.

Jones is moving back to corner I get that but Thomas is not going to solve our problems. You want a safety, us the pick to move up in the draft and get ones that will be here for the next 5 years and not break the bank!
Comparing a future HOF to Byron Jones. This is new. Just. Wow.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Come on, man. You can't be seriously comparing Earl Thomas to Byron Freaking Jones.

Stats aside, this is a laughable and insulting comparison. Byron Jones is not even a real football player.
He played just as well as Thomas did over the last 3 seasons, and that was changing positions. So how is it laughable?

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Come on, man. You can't be seriously comparing Earl Thomas to Byron Freaking Jones.

Stats aside, this is a laughable and insulting comparison. Byron Jones is not even a real football player.
Comparing one player to another is the wrong approach, unless both players are in their prime, and even then it might not be a fair argument. Thomas is entering his 9th season, I don't care who the player is...I feel like their best football is behind them with the only exception being a QB in some cases.

Unless we are in a win it all now mode, like the Rams for example, you might entertain that idea, but to give up the resources it would take for him plus that type of salary I think would be idiotic, I would rather go with an upcoming talent like Woods then someone like Thomas who may be looking for his last big contract.

Last edited:

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Gotta love stats. It's what the Cowboys are known for these days.
Isn't "stats" the reason people want Thomas? Do you think if he had horrible stats people would be wanting to trade for him? Lets not forget the d-line and the LBers and the rest of the secondary Thomas had to play with, did Jones have that?

ksg811

Reaction score
Tackles are meaningless for a FS. If a FS is making a tackle, it's not a good thing. It means either the front 7 got beat, he got beat in coverage and had to make a tackle, or he's covering for someone else who got beat. None are good.

As for the other stats posted, Thomas accrued those better stats in 7 less games. Furthermore, nowhere have you listed opportunities to make those plays. You can't deflect or pick off a pass if you're not thrown at. How many times was each thrown at to accrue those particular stats?

How about preventing a pass from being thrown? How many times did Earl Thomas's positioning prevent a pass from being thrown? Same for Jones? That's ultimately the most important aspect of a FS's game; positioning to alter or even prevent a reception and it can't be measured in stats. You have to watch the tape for that. All in all, using stats to compare the two is just laughable.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Here is the question. Is Earl Thomas a football player with skills and leadership qualities or not?

Simple question. Now this.

Would his skill set help the Dallas defense win games or not?

Another simple question.

Notice neither requires stats to answer.

phildadon86

Reaction score

I still cant get over how flawed this mindset is. Lets also take into account how often QBs don't thrown anywhere near ET because of fear. Lets now ask ourselves. Does Jones make QBs scared to throw his way? Or does he invite being thrown at? lol

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Here is the question. Is Earl Thomas a football player with skills and leadership qualities or not?

Simple question. Now this.

Would his skill set help the Dallas defense win games or not?

Another simple question.

Notice neither requires stats to answer.
Here's a question for you

Is Thomas' best football ahead or behind him at this point?