Lets do a Comparison

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Lots of folks seem to be stuck on the idea that we NEED Earl Thomas. He sees to be the greatest player in the NFL. Lets check some stats and compare him to Byron Jones over the last 3 years.

Thomas- 200 Tackles (125 solo), 26 pass deflected, 9 ints (2 in each of the last 2 season) and 1 TD.

Jones- 236 tackles (177 solo), 24 pass deflected, 2 ints and 1 TD.

outside of the ints not much of a difference, Thomas wins the int catagory and the PD catagory (by 2) while Jones wins out on the tackles and solo tackles. They both have 1 TD in the same 3 year span.

Jones is moving back to corner I get that but Thomas is not going to solve our problems. You want a safety, us the pick to move up in the draft and get ones that will be here for the next 5 years and not break the bank!

Apparently you havent watched much Seattle football in the last several years...:facepalm:

zerofill

Reaction score
I wouldn't be breaking the bank for a safety no matter what.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If we give a fifth or lower, bring him on. But I don't want to give up anything above a fourth to get Thomas.
His best days are behind him.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
lol, sooooo...Thomas is FAR superior...except in stats.......which virtually gauges everything.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Here's a question for you

Is Thomas' best football ahead or behind him at this point?

He is 28 years old right now. Will be 29 by this time next month. People in the know suggest a player hits his stride at 29. I suspect the team could get four years out of him before he starts to diminish. But that is based on what the league seems to think about players that have top tier skills.

Every player has the potential for injury or a diminished skills at an earlier age. Probably less number of players at an older age.

I am not afraid to put a playmaker and another Sean Lee "quarterback" on this defense at his age.

So what say you?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If we give a fifth or lower, bring him on. But I don't want to give up anything above a fourth to get Thomas.
His best days are behind him.

How do you know his best days are behind him?

zerofill

Reaction score
He is 28 years old right now. Will be 29 by this time next month. People in the know suggest a player hits his stride at 29. I suspect the team could get four years out of him before he starts to diminish. But that is based on what the league seems to think about players that have top tier skills.

Every player has the potential for injury or a diminished skills at an earlier age. Probably less number of players at an older age.

I am not afraid to put a playmaker and another Sean Lee "quarterback" on this defense at his age.

So what say you?

I doubt his skills are that diminished as a safety. It isn't like he is a RB getting pummeled constantly...

I wouldn't have a problem signing him... I just don't want to spend a lot on a safety.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I doubt his skills are that diminished as a safety. It isn't like he is a RB getting pummeled constantly...

I wouldn't have a problem signing him... I just don't want to spend a lot on a safety.

Is that you, Stephen?

DHCBF66

Reaction score
People are missing the point, if we are going after a safety why not trade up and get a young guy that is going to cost half as much as Thomas, it's as simple as that!

CowboyChris

Reaction score

So what say you?
I feel his best days are behind him, just like I felt the same about Dez, if he was a FA and we could sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal, I would be tempted, but to trade away the type of draft picks Seattle is asking plus making him the highest paid safety in the NFL, I would just PASS.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't want to over trade for a 29 year old. He's better than Jones, LOL but the Cowboys have too many needs to think Thomas will put them over the top. Continue with the draft, fortify that front 7 and then your safety play will improve.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Earl Thomas has missed 7 games over the last 2 years. Give him another half season of stats and it's not close.

ksg811

Reaction score
People are missing the point, if we are going after a safety why not trade up and get a young guy that is going to cost half as much as Thomas, it's as simple as that!

Because we don't know how good a rookie will be. We know Thomas is an elite safety (best in the league, IMO). Even at half the cost, it doesn't matter if the pick doesn't pan out. Thomas is an elite known commodity. A rookie is a dice roll. It's as simple as that!

GreenMean69

Reaction score
Stats are for Fantasy football. Good teams are more then just one player. a player might be a superstar on one team .... but on another not be the same guy . I always laugh when people use stats to compare players sometimes like QBs and say see he stinks because xxx xxx Good example Rams and Jeff Fisher , Eagles and Cump Kelly .