Lets do a Comparison

dsturgeon

Reaction score
You can not compare them. Seatles Dline and secondary have owned the cowboys. That position depends on the dlline and the others in the secondary. I would take earl though.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@DHCBF66 Thanks for posting those stats. Very interesting. I would have never guessed Byron Jones had so many solo tackles. I knew he didn't have many INTs.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
That's also true. The Seattle front 7 was pretty stout. I'm not sure he's as productive in this D. Helpful, probably. But you really can't expect the same things he was doing in Seattle to translate here.
I think we have the voice with Kris Richards to determine if Thomas makes a big impact with what he has going with this secondary. Im sure Richards speaks highly of Thomas but if he is a real coach he can make an honest assessment. I think Richards is a real coach btw.

Tarheelcowboy

Reaction score
Here is the question. Is Earl Thomas a football player with skills and leadership qualities or not?

Simple question. Now this.

Would his skill set help the Dallas defense win games or not?

Another simple question.

Notice neither requires stats to answer.

I say no to all of the above. He is done. And had serious injury. No need to pay big money to him for little return. And yes stats mean something on this board just ask all Dak supporter.

Tarheelcowboy

Reaction score
I still cant get over how flawed this mindset is. Lets also take into account how often QBs don't thrown anywhere near ET because of fear. Lets now ask ourselves. Does Jones make QBs scared to throw his way? Or does he invite being thrown at? lol

No one is afraid to throw at thomas.

Bigdog

Reaction score
If we don't get ET than I would not mind Reid, Jessie Bates or the kid from S Mississippi in the draft

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lots of folks seem to be stuck on the idea that we NEED Earl Thomas. He sees to be the greatest player in the NFL. Lets check some stats and compare him to Byron Jones over the last 3 years.

Thomas- 200 Tackles (125 solo), 26 pass deflected, 9 ints (2 in each of the last 2 season) and 1 TD.

Jones- 236 tackles (177 solo), 24 pass deflected, 2 ints and 1 TD.

outside of the ints not much of a difference, Thomas wins the int catagory and the PD catagory (by 2) while Jones wins out on the tackles and solo tackles. They both have 1 TD in the same 3 year span.

Jones is moving back to corner I get that but Thomas is not going to solve our problems. You want a safety, us the pick to move up in the draft and get ones that will be here for the next 5 years and not break the bank!

We don't need Earl Thomas, we need a young Earl Thomas. IF this team was ONE Player away from a championship to be it. Its not close. More like 4 or 5 very good players away from being a legitimate contender.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Thomas is a far superior player to either Heath or Jones, but the talk of giving up 2nd and 4th round picks for the guys is nothing but foolishness.
I think I'd give up a 4th, if interested. But I'm not that interested in a 1 year rental for 8.5mil. Would probably rather develop our guys.

zerofill

Reaction score
Joseph Randle averaged 4.1 ypc in 2015, same as Zeke did last year.
Joseph Randle scored 4 touchdowns in only 76 rushing attempts. Zeke scored 7 TDs in 242 attempts.

Joseph Randle played the majority of his snaps with Brandon Weeden as QB and with Dez hurt.

"Stats" say Randle and Zeke are comparable, right? Yet, Randle is a joke associated with "meat on the bone" and "anyone can run behind this line" and Zeke is a "generational talent".

Yeah but his stats for stealing underwear just totally sucked!

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Stats aren't dumb. Stats are neutral. They are just facts.

Knowing how to interpret statistics correctly is the key factor. This OP didn't use statistics correctly in this case.
What's your interpretation? I want to see the difference because the OP is absurd.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Lots of folks seem to be stuck on the idea that we NEED Earl Thomas. He sees to be the greatest player in the NFL. Lets check some stats and compare him to Byron Jones over the last 3 years.

Thomas- 200 Tackles (125 solo), 26 pass deflected, 9 ints (2 in each of the last 2 season) and 1 TD.

Jones- 236 tackles (177 solo), 24 pass deflected, 2 ints and 1 TD.

outside of the ints not much of a difference, Thomas wins the int catagory and the PD catagory (by 2) while Jones wins out on the tackles and solo tackles. They both have 1 TD in the same 3 year span.

Jones is moving back to corner I get that but Thomas is not going to solve our problems. You want a safety, us the pick to move up in the draft and get ones that will be here for the next 5 years and not break the bank!

Ask yourself one question.............if Byron Jones was anywhere near ET, why are the Cowboys moving him to CB?

Hint: put the stat sheet down and go watch some actual games, then you will understand why Jones is not a safety anymore.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Ask yourself one question.............if Byron Jones was anywhere near ET, why are the Cowboys moving him to CB?

Hint: put the stat sheet down and go watch some actual games, then you will understand why Jones is not a safety anymore.
He is good at both and is being moved to what he does best watch some games

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He is good at both and is being moved to what he does best watch some games

I watch them all skippy and no, he doesn't do both well............that is why he is being moved.

Funny, I don't see or hear anybody on the planet talking about moving ET. Of course when you make all-pro dam near every single year and have a yellow jacket already waiting for you..................you don't get moved like Jones just did.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I watch them all skippy and no, he doesn't do both well............that is why he is being moved.

Funny, I don't see or hear anybody on the planet talking about moving ET. Of course when you make all-pro dam near every single year and have a yellow jacket already waiting for you..................you don't get moved like Jones just did.
Well scooter his numbers tell a different story