Let's Recap The Dak Situation So Far

morasp

Reaction score
Dak fans HATE Cooper Rush for killing their "If Dak can't win with Jerry and this roster then nobody can" narrative.
The irony is that due to Dak's high salary we're relegated to paying a few key players and trying to build the rest of the roster with rookie contracts and any FAs willing to sign for near the league minimum.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The irony is that due to Dak's high salary we're relegated to paying a few key players and trying to build the rest of the roster with rookie contracts and any FAs willing to sign for near the league minimum.
He’s getting paid $29 million from now until the end of the season. Lots of teams pay their QB1 substantially more. How do they figure out how to pay their “key players”.

morat1959

Reaction score
That's not going to happen.
Currently the top four threads - including this one - are about Cowboys QB1.
They will go on and on, with CZers continuing to pontificate and speechify about all matters pertaining to his immediate NFL future.
In addition, there will some other members that create threads about the same subject- but present it in a way they think will be a new angle or bring for some information or insight they feel hasn't been covered and discussed.
The only to truly avoid seeing them on page 1 of the Fan Zone -
tune out until April 25th- Day 1 of the draft.
Most veryone's focus will shift over, thus draft threads will begin to move them out.
You seem to enjoy commenting on these threads. Just skip over them and move on if you dislike it so much.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems a doggone shame that our front office can't make realistic judgments when it comes to QBs and their capabilities.

All we can do now is to wait and see how things go in the future. Let's hope our next QB may do far better in the playoffs.

Flamma

Reaction score
"NFL Network reported Tuesday that both sides have a mutual understanding that there will be no adjustment to his contract entering the 2024 season."

Also, them doing the restructuring to save 5 million instead of the extension to save 25 million was more proof.

Why worry about a measly 5 million saving if your end goal is resigning him?
I missed the NFL Network's report. I just figured they were just working on it. It's hard for me to believe Jerry isn't caving in to whatever he wants. Last embarrassing loss to GB must have had an impact.

So yeah, barring any miracles, looks like he's done. I think we all knew when the year came that Dak played on his full cap hit, it would probably be his last.

coult44

Reaction score
1. The horrible Green Bay flop that saw Dak become the first QB to ever lose to a 7th seed as well as his playoff record falling to 2-5 making it the worst of all time for a QB with at least 5 starts. This was the game where many of the on the fence types chose a side.

2. Jerry’s “We’ll go as far as Dak takes us and that’s how far we went” comment. That’s not a ringing endorsement, huh?

3. Zero activity in free agency signaling that things were changing as far as the current group of players and coaches were concerned, so there’s no need for that “all in” offseason many thought Jerry prophesied.

4. The 5 million restructure making Daks mega hit next season a little more manageable. They could’ve saved 20+ million by resigning him, but they chose to just save 5 and not resign him. Very telling.

5. Then the news of Dak and Dallas agreeing to play out his last year comes out further showing that things seem to be reaching a divorce point.

6. Rumors of a trade to Las Vegas. Are they true? Probably not, but it’s just more smoke for the already fire.

7. Daks legal trouble. What comes of this is anybody’s guess, but it doesn’t help Dak. Thats for certain.

8. Rumors the Cowboys take a QB in the 1st round. Will they? It remains to be seen, but again, just more smoke for the now bonfire sized fire.

9. Jerry is a businessman first. We know his football knowledge is remedial, but he knows how to make money. Businessmen aren’t going to get suckered twice by the same guy. He got played once by Dak, but that ego won’t allow it to happen again.

10. The players families piling on also. They aren’t saying anything they don’t hear from other players. Heck, even Tad wants Dak out at this point.

I don’t see how any of this is trending in the “Dak gets resigned” territory.
I just want to address #8.
Do you honestly believe what the media says, even if it lacks complete common sense?

There’s nobody in the Cowboys FO who has discussed or thought about drafting a QB early, let alone the first round.
The Cowboys drafted their early round QB with a fourth round pick when they traded for Trey Lance.
It doesn’t take a football genius to know they aren’t letting go of big time draft capital by taking another QB early. Good try though. This was just media talk and you bought into it.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Just curious........what would you do if he gets resigned? (LOL) Can you handle that???
Is resigning a two and five quarterback something you would brag about to your friends? Or would they just laugh at you? As a cowboys fan I would accept it and hope for the best but it would not be a proud moment. And I would have no reason to believe that the next 5 years are going to end any differently than the last 5 years. I just think at this point there's probably too much water under the bridge.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I just want to address #8.
Do you honestly believe what the media says, even if it lacks complete common sense?

There’s nobody in the Cowboys FO who has discussed or thought about drafting a QB early, let alone the first round.
The Cowboys drafted their early round QB with a fourth round pick when they traded for Trey Lance.
It doesn’t take a football genius to know they aren’t letting go of big time draft capital by taking another QB early. Good try though. This was just media talk and you bought into it.
Certainly not drafting a quarterback in an early round. There are other urgent needs. But it is prudent to consider drafting a QB every year. Look at Philly in the same division. Signed a QB (Hurts) for five years, but they drafted a QB (McKee) last year that stuck as QB3. Traded for one this off season (Pickett) and signed a 4th QB (Grier) to bring to camp. And you can bet they’ll draft another in a late round in a couple of weeks. You either believe the position warrants attention or you don’t. All three Cowboys QBs are free agents in 11 months. Jerry ought to consider “letting go of” something at some point in deference to his team’s quarterback position.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I really think there is divide in the locker room. The players don't believe in Dak and for him to be hogging half the pie is just downright theft. It would be one thing if Dak were performing and playing well in the playoffs and they were still losing but these players are not going to fight to the bitter end while Dak pats the ball and goes 3 and out for 3 quarters.

Flamma

Reaction score
He’s getting paid $29 million from now until the end of the season. Lots of teams pay their QB1 substantially more. How do they figure out how to pay their “key players”.
Base salary isn't the part that matters. Cap hit matters. That's the part that gets in the way. I'm guessing the Jones boys don't want to keep pushing money forward.