Let's Recap The Dak Situation So Far

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think Dak is an above-average QB who folds under pressure. That being said, there's no guarantee that the Cowboys will be successful if they move on from Dak. But, they haven't won anything major with him behind center, so why not go in a different direction? My point is, if the Cowboys are going to just let Dak walk, they should at least try to get something for him and have a plan in place for when it happens. My other point is, I don't believe his asking price is going to be conducive to putting a SB team around him. That's just my opinion. Your opinion may be different.

Now, to answer your question. The Niners brought in Young while they still had Montana. (Even though that was a trade) The Packers brought in Rodgers while still having Favre. The Patriots drafted Brady while they still had Bledsoe. The Ravens brought in Jackson while they still had Flacco. Those are just a couple off the top of my head. But, once again, there are no guarantees in football.
I have no faith in Jones' to be able to put a winning team together that can succeed in playoffs

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Daks legal trouble. What comes of this is anybody’s guess, but it doesn’t help Dak. Thats for certain.
Is it possible jerry knows something about this,. which made him decide to wait on extending dak?
60 mil a year is alot, so you would not want any problems popping up once signed again.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Maybe, however, he's also got: a history of capitulation in contract extensions, bases his football business on staying relevant and being obsessed with keeping his 'elite' stars.
Oh he'll try, but he's in that position that if he moves on from Dak he'll be out of his depth in rebuilding a team....he'll be forced to re-sign Dak, as he's too scared of the alternative.
Its almost more entertaining as a Cowboys fan today to see what Dak could actually draw on the open market.
I say bet on yourself again Dak, go prove your failure one last season here.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is it possible jerry knows something about this,. which made him decide to wait on extending dak?
60 mil a year is alot, so you would not want any problems popping up once signed again.
Not likely. This is about choking for the 3rd year in a row. He made Jerry cry on TV. They've finally seen enough.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Its almost more entertaining as a Cowboys fan today to see what Dak could actually draw on the open market.
I say bet on yourself again Dak, go prove your failure one last season here.
Yep, me too. If you look at paying Dak, CeeDee and Micah.....that's it for our CAP in the next three years, it wont get any better. So transfer 2024's roster into 2025 and we've got next to nothing left in CAP. When fans shout, we need a better run defense, or running game we'll just have to point out that our passing game is getting a disproportionate amount of CAP, let that step up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Trey Lance can't play any worse than Dak against good teams.
But dont we all become more risk averse as we get older and to be fair Jerry's never been a great evaluator of talent (hence the liking/paying his own, as he doesnt have to make the decision to cut/trade).
Again, this is the reason why we need the independent GM, one that's responsible for creating a ROSTER, not just overpaying for commercial STARS (and kicking the CAP Can, until you have to shed the rest of the roster to keep up with the restructured deferrals).

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well in fairness every Romo revisionist says he had a bad team every year..so again how many times can people say the same thing?
That's true...some people do say something like that. I was being a bit more specific on who says what.

I'm trying to look out for people that speak out of both sides of their mouth. That can be difficult in this nut house known as CZ.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
well in fairness every Romo revisionist says he had a bad team every year..so again how many times can people say the same thing?
How many fans, that criticise Dak, do you think are making their judgement because they like Romo?
I'd say the majority of us say it was time to move on from BOTH. They both showed they didn't have what it took to come through the play-offs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I have no faith in Jones' to be able to put a winning team together that can succeed in playoffs
Yes, but ironically one of the reasons for that is his inability to analyse the talent, rather his Like Our Own and overpay on commercial rather than football reasons.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's moments like this where you wish you had a real GM.
Yep, and a real GM would LOVE the scenario/challenge of where we are, with talent, but challenges and having to take decisions.....at least this franchise has options.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many fans, that criticise Dak, do you think are making their judgement because they like Romo?
I'd say the majority of us say it was time to move on from BOTH. They both showed they didn't have what it took to come through the play-offs.
Thats a bit if a lazy take, i think. Id prefer a deeper dive....example? Did romo gift the other team 14 free 1st half pts?
Im not suggesting romo never contributed to losses. But he did get some unfair shakes. A terrible drop, horrible fumble, dez no catch.

If mr frog wants to pull out "romo revisionist" on me...so be it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, and a real GM would LOVE the scenario/challenge of where we are, with talent, but challenges and having to take decisions.....at least this franchise has options.
Im reading a book right now called the rocking chair prophet. Just finished crisis/opportunity chapter.
It would appear....we have crisis of sorts, that an adept gm/management could view as opportunity, albeit long-ish term maybe.

Verdict

Reaction score
I wouldn't read much into the restructure. They had to get under the cap and Dak's restructure helped them but it was so small that it also wouldn't kill them by pushing a ton of money into the future. All told, they just shifted $4MM into the future where we will have to account for it next year.

That's not me saying that he's getting re-signed. I have no idea what these boobs are thinking but I wouldn't use the restructure as proof of anything.

Further, the way they are going about this if they really are dumping Dak, is freaking stupid. But we already knew Jerry and Stephen are inept.
I do not believe that the Cowboys restructuring the roster bonus tells us anything in particular. So I agree with your post.

If we trade Dak the cap hit accelerates into this cap year anyway. But it did provide short term cap relief on a small sum.

The roster bonus had to be paid and fit under the salary cap. I don’t think it tells us anything at all about the Cowboys plans going forward.