Let's say after we move on from Dez he faces us and torches us

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All the Dez fans that think this offense cannot function without him have a short memory. Like you said, Dak’s rookie season the offense exploded when Dez was hurt for several games. Dak just threw to the open guy, he wasn’t pressured to throw to Dez( while he was covered, as usual).
I recall that the passing game was good enough if not remarkable at times. Not all games were juggernauts, but he was getting it done, and then someone in the FO forced the game plan to start forcing it to Dez.
Dak had a remarkable 2016 season for someone who was forced into the starting role and never carried the clipboard during regular season games, (like most do for at least 2 or 3 seasons.)

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dez goes to a team where they have a speedy WR or he does not have to be the number 1, he will torch every team.
Assuming he gets picked up, and it's a good team, a creative QB and a good game plan, and he doesn't implode from not being a frequent target.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez can still be a useful player, but he'll have to have the right QB and coaching. Man, if some team can get him to actually run his routes w/ conviction, will Jerry finally realize how bad we are at developing players?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez can still be a useful player, but he'll have to have the right QB and coaching. Man, if some team can get him to actually run his routes w/ conviction, will Jerry finally realize how bad we are at developing players?
Part of the team's failures has been a failure to plan.
Excuse me, the FO failure to plan.

kskboys

Reaction score
Part of the team's failures has been a failure to plan.
Excuse me, the FO failure to plan.
Absolutely!!!

And the failure to recognize problems that are coming. We have a bad tendency to not see the problems until they are glaring.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He faces us torches us....

And our QB still can't hit the ocean even if he was standing in the shallow ends of it facing the body of water.

Our offense looks predictable

And The WR's cant beat anybody, therefore Witten is this year's leading receiver avg 3 yards a catch

What do we do? What happens when we get steam rolled and finish 6-10. Who do we blame then?
Mommy?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course, excellent players go out of their way to get better on their own, ask for help because they aren't afraid to admit their weaknesses, and ask teammates to practice together in addition to team practices.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we don't use a player to his strength. we try to force them into playing the "garrett crap".

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
If he torches us big deal, Randy Moss set the standard for torching us. Didn’t Calvin Johnson torch is for NFL record 300 yds? I’m used to us being torched.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh, and as far as the OP's question: "Oh well."

Dez was not worth his salary. It was time to move on. If he torches us at some point, it makes no difference at all. You must simply make the best decisions possible w/ the info at hand, and releasing Dez was the best move, no matter the outcome.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
He faces us torches us....

And our QB still can't hit the ocean even if he was standing in the shallow ends of it facing the body of water.

Our offense looks predictable

And The WR's cant beat anybody, therefore Witten is this year's leading receiver avg 3 yards a catch

What do we do? What happens when we get steam rolled and finish 6-10. Who do we blame then?

What happens if Cowboys face him, win the game and Dez is held to 3 for 40yds. Who gets the credit?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
we don't use a player to his strength. we try to force them into playing the "garrett crap".

While I am no supporter of Garrett, Every team runs a system, the expectation is that you draft players and they can be used within the system. Dez getting cut had little to do with his ability or diminishing ability. It's one thing to perform great and demand the ball. It's another thing to be a loud mouth and not follow up by performing on the field.

renny

Reaction score
The comment I responded to was about blame. not job security. I guess there is a link if you think the team is "blaming" Dez rather than just fans, but I think that is the wrong viewpoint. I believe the team feels it would benefit it to spend the money elsewhere. A business decision.
The comment I responded to was about blame. not job security. I guess there is a link if you think the team is "blaming" Dez rather than just fans, but I think that is the wrong viewpoint. I believe the team feels it would benefit it to spend the money elsewhere. A business decision.
Blame and job security goes hand in hand. That's why Garrett still has a job. The FO has decided he wasn't to blame and retained him. Pure and simple.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blame and job security goes hand in hand. That's why Garrett still has a job. The FO has decided he wasn't to blame and retained him. Pure and simple.

Blame and job security don’t go hand in hand on the fan side, but even on the Garrett side, releasing Dez doesn’t necessitate believing the FO has pinned all blame on Dez and ignores the head coach was hired to win. That’s illogical because for that to be true it would mean any team that ever releases a player without releasing its HC is only doing so to make that player a scapegoat for all team problems. The reality is Dez’s contract was a big factor, and the reality also is the Cowboys releasing Dez isn’t a wildly unique thing other teams don’t ever do. Dez is far from the first high profile player realeased because his production doesn’t match his salary.

Last edited: