Let's say Tank is traded

Verdict

Reaction score
You're going to completely discount the labrum injury?

You are a good, well respected poster here who obviously loves the Cowboys. I do not want the Cowboys to lose Tank any more than you do. But at some cap number, it hurts the team to keep Lawrence more than letting him go would.

At what number would that happen for you?

Verdict

Reaction score
I will add to this thread that although Tank is valuable he isn't the best defender on his own team. LVE and Jaylon are already more impactful and valuable than he is and Jones is in the discussion as well.

Anyone want to pay your third or fourth best defender $20 per year? I don't.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Trade him for a 1, extend Dak, Zeke, and Amari with the money you saved.

Draft a DE in the first AND sign a mid-level vet in free agency.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We struggled for years to get a decent pass rush. Our defense is now improving... in large part because of D Law. Why would we trade him? Just my opinion, but I don't think you can ever have too much talent in the trenches. That's where the battles are won or lost.
He was Space Ghost the last 5 games of the season. He’s out looking for HIS soul, not Goff’s. THAT’S why you keep your mouth shut and let your play talk for you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think the team will do in Tanks absence?

Options?

1. Play Gregory and Crawford at DE.
2. Play Gregory and Armstrong
3. Play Gregory and Taco.
4. Play Gregory and a free agent or draft pick.

While this may not sound appealing to some, Crawford isn't a bad DE, and you have to realize Tank took time to develop. There is a reasonable expectation that Armstrong or Taco may improve substantially this year.

I think Taco is weak as a pass rusher but is good at stopping the run. How much is the 5 or 6 sack difference worth?

They'll have a 1st round pick in 2019 and another in 2020. They would draft a pass rusher.

They would get two 1st round picks plus the 20M per year in cap space.

If the 2019 pick is from a good team, then they might also get another pick in 2019 such that they could move up in the 1st round.

LDE
Crawford - His best fit of 3 positions.
Taco - Physical prototype at LDE. Mis-cast at RDE.

RDE
Gregory
Rookie

Backup
Armstrong - Game day 46 man roster status dependent on whether Crawford plays both DT and DE or just DE.

They could also sign a low level free agent such as Aaron Lynch who has similar size/athleticism to Randy Gregory.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Trade him for a 1, extend Dak, Zeke, and Amari with the money you saved.

Draft a DE in the first AND sign a mid-level vet in free agency.

“Get rid of your best pass rusher, watch defense decline for skill players that don’t win championships!”

Little Jr

Reaction score
The first 4 games he'll be missed if we trade him. After that, all we need is someone who can avg about 3 tackles and .5 sacks a game.

With that said, I don't see him being traded . Even if his asking price is over the top, he'll play on the tag. Plus, I cant see any team given up 2 1sts for him.

exciter

Reaction score
It may be easier to cure cancer than straighten out Irving.
Sad too, guy had some mad skills when he wanted to play, just doesn't look like has the discipline, desire, or mental health to want to play!

Johnny23

Reaction score
Dez is a WR - D-Law is a pass rusher. One wasn’t a worthy risk, this one is.

We tried Crawford as a starter, didn’t work. Why are you even counting on Gregory? He’s not reliable. Charlton hasn’t shown enough positives to suggest he can be counted on.

Stop thinking so much, you have too much time on your hands.

Again, i’ll never understand this place wanting to hand out big contracts to skill positions and then wet their beds at the thought of paying defensive players.
Verdict and his ilk don't want to pay either.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Fans are crazy to think that Dallas will not resign Lawrence. Pass rushers are a rare commodity in this league that are any good. How much will he get, who really knows until the ink is dry but they will hang on to him even if it means franchising him another year at about $23 million. We would be better off signing him.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They had him in the building in 2014 and 2015 and he got suspended in 2016. In all, between suspensions and injuries he missed 9 games as a rookie, and 7 games in 2015. That was the issue - not his abilty to play, but his ability to be available and consistent. I can understand looking for consistency before paying a huge contract.
The insight gained on how he handled adversity should also be used as a measure in signing him. They thought enough of him to draft him toward the top of the 2nd round. Not surprised he welcomed the franchise tag last year, it is going to work out very favorably for him financially.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The insight gained on how he handled adversity should also be used as a measure in signing him. They thought enough of him to draft him toward the top of the 2nd round. Not surprised he welcomed the franchise tag last year, it is going to work out very favorably for him financially.

Sure it should, but he had adversity in 2014, overcame it to play through 2015, but ended up suspended in 2016. They obviously were high on his talent given where they drafted him and given they were willing to pay the high franchise tag price, but the year to year consistency issue had not yet been settled after the 2017 issue.

Keep in mind, I’m not saying your thoughts on him have no merit. He had a great 2017, and certainly looking back on it now after another strong year I wish we had signed him a year ago. I wouldn’t have been upset at the time if they had. All I’m saying is I understood the hesitation a year ago.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We've been looking for a player who is constantly injured and disappears in December and January ?
Tank injured? He played through his "minor" injuries and was still a force. Stupid to want to trade him. You are embarrassing yourself.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What do you think the team will do in Tanks absence?

Options?

1. Play Gregory and Crawford at DE.
2. Play Gregory and Armstrong
3. Play Gregory and Taco.
4. Play Gregory and a free agent or draft pick.

While this may not sound appealing to some, Crawford isn't a bad DE, and you have to realize Tank took time to develop. There is a reasonable expectation that Armstrong or Taco may improve substantially this year.

I think Taco is weak as a pass rusher but is good at stopping the run. How much is the 5 or 6 sack difference worth?

Is this question a joke?

CPanther95

Reaction score
It would be idiotic to trade DLaw, but it would be even more idiotic to pass up 2 first round picks. However, that's not even remotely realistic.

Just pay him as little as possible - but pay him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then he's injured practically every year and cannot be counted on to play 16 games and ESP at the end of the year

He does not deserve to be paid like a top 5 DE no matter how you slice it

I would trade him for a rd 1 pick in a heartbeat

Having saud that, we will pay him and regret it

Maybe. But I know for sure we would regret it if we didn’t.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are a good, well respected poster here who obviously loves the Cowboys. I do not want the Cowboys to lose Tank any more than you do. But at some cap number, it hurts the team to keep Lawrence more than letting him go would.

At what number would that happen for you?

Over $20 million a year.

And I appreciate that compliment. Thanks.