Let's talk about Dak's restructuring

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Right. And this is what we hear all the time...except for some stout Dak fans, all of a sudden it does not apply. Yes, confusing, double standard talk.
I like Dak, but this past season I am not going to be rah, rah over him. Well, actually I was never Rah, Rah. But I defended him more than I should have.
However, I defend most players because they are on the team I root for. Yes, there are some I do not like, but not going to rag on them all the time either.

I like Zeke, I think he can still be productive more so than he has been. But I also know the best thing for the team moving forward is to get rid of that huge contract.
Now if they restructure or release, they get about the same cap savings. So it comes down does the team still think he can be productive for at least another year. At least they know what they have, a sold player still, as opposed to some 3rd round rookie.

I think the scheme change and play calling will help him and Pollard a lot, as long as they fix the OL issues. Maybe run blocking schemes with the new OL coach. Get a passing game a defense respects, as not to stack the box all the time, because they do not fear the QB. Can that change also help Dak, we will see.
While not a sexy pick, I would not object to Dallas grabbing Florida OG O'Cyrus Torrence. He is a 6' 5" 347 pound mauler who played RG in college but could be switched over to the LG position to start next to Tyler Smith (with the possibility of shifting to RG in the event Martin got hurt or in the near future retires) to form a great left side duo to protect Dak's blind side while being a road grader in the running game.

Creeper

Reaction score
$47 million in cap hits for 2025-26 without the player actually on the roster.

That’s what really bothers me.

$36 million in 2025 without your quarterback on the roster.
This is a bit scary. Not only because he is not on the roster, if he leaves via free agency the Cowboys have to eat that CAP, but also if they extend him the $36 million is added to his new contract for CAP purposes. There is no way to restructure the existing prorated bonus and restructure money. Even if they make him a June 1 cut in 2025 he still costs them $36 million against the CAP!

Jerry and Stephen must be expecting a big CAP increase in 2024.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While not a sexy pick, I would not object to Dallas grabbing Florida OG O'Cyrus Torrence. He is a 6' 5" 347 pound mauler who played RG in college but could be switched over to the LG position to start next to Tyler Smith (with the possibility of shifting to RG in the event Martin got hurt or in the near future retires) to form a great left side duo to protect Dak's blind side while being a road grader in the running game.
I can live with that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Winning drives, beating Brady, and all those ratings, mean nothing if you cant do it in the play-offs and when the pressure's on. It's not his play and I'm not saying he cant play well nor that's a poor QB, what i'm saying is his Achilles Heel, as shown in both loses to the 9ers, appears to be composure when the Offense needs to step up (in two consecutive years).
They did win in the playoffs. They lost likec13 other teams did

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
according to your logic, if we don't win the superbowl Dak has failed under pressure.
Wrong,.....that very comment just proves you havent read a word i've written (if you're going to script you'll just say 'yes I have') you write like a sensitive Dak fan who doesnt read anything when you've got a predetermination that the post isnt supportive of Dak.
and perhaps Dak has something to do when things go right..no?
Go back and read what ive said before (i doubt you'll bother as you havent yet), I was very complimentary about Dak and agree he does play well.....just found wanting when the chips are down and he's under ultimate pressure (which is my only concern throughout this thread).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They did win in the playoffs. They lost likec13 other teams did
Again, Dak good in most every aspect of his game (even first 25 mins of SF), Dak not good when facing in-game pressure through adversity, repeatedly shown (2-2 in last two defeats vrs SF) shows a distinct inability to turn when the team needs him. If you want to blame the team, fine, but he's the one with the ball in his hands on every play in every play and he is made for his management .....if he loses composure he's not going to be win it all, regardless of the talent around him.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Again, Dak good in most every aspect of his game (even first 25 mins of SF), Dak not good when facing in-game pressure through adversity, repeatedly shown (2-2 in last two defeats vrs SF) shows a distinct inability to turn when the team needs him. If you want to blame the team, fine, but he's the one with the ball in his hands on every play in every play and he is made for his management .....if he loses composure he's not going to be win it all, regardless of the talent around him.
Dare you to go watch the playcalling after Pollard got hurt. Moore didn't even play davis. Dallas ran the ball 6 times in the 2nd half. How do you expect the qb to do anything if you're not running the ball, and the defense knows you're not going to run. All they had to do was bring the blitz and play the secondary close because they're not going to have time to throw anything but quick hits. You know what sf was doing.

It's clear you have no clue what this team did and didn't do vs the niners. And you have the audacity to use that game as reference.

glimmerman

Reaction score
In that offense, Dak ran for 6 tds, 282 yards, and 4.9ypc. His INT% was < 1% in 2016 and QBR 78. Those days are gone.
Frederick, Tyron, Zack, and Zeke all made All Pro, and deservedly so.
Maybe we go back to 2016 play calling, but I don't see us going back to 2016 offensive play.
The playcalling will keep the ints low. I hope. He was throwing to many tight window throws.

glimmerman

Reaction score
In order for Jerry to say no, Dak would have to be a 60M cap hit next year. The Cowboys have pushed so much of his money forward through restructures, they pretty much have to extend him after this season no matter what. The Cowboys are lucky that no player(s) are going to be big cap spikes next year.
Yeah. Is the cap supposed to make a big jump with the gambling money coming in.

glimmerman

Reaction score
you mean to say Mahomes type LOL

who BTW is underpaid by most who should get paid standards, he did take page out of Bradys book to give his team a friendly 10year deal with only 144mil guaranteed meaning hes filthy rich yet smart enough to know it can help him have better support payers.
I haven’t paid attention to other players on mahomes team to see if other players are taking team friendly deals. I know Cowboys players seem to get all they can. Dak got his and I think if he took less then the next skill player due would eat it up by taking all he can. D-Law did it. Elliot did it. Parsons will do it.

Hadenough

Reaction score
so there were those who said, no team can win when the QB makes more than 15% of salary. now, its what? about 10%...

but I am sure those same people will point to next year and go, yeah, but next year its 25%.

the QB salary is not the reason we can't build the right team. its because of Jerry Jones. Dak is just a convenient player everyone wants to point a finger at. that's all.
Blame whoever you want but this team hasn't won anything since having a pedigree at the QB position. Aikman was here and don't think for a minute that Troy Aikman could not of won at least one of the last two 49er playoff games with this team. Pedigree gives you a greater chance of achieving at the highest levels.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
To be sure we are all on the same page........the only impact of his restructuring is he gets $29M of his guaranteed $31M salary right now as opposed to having it spread out over 17 games. It did not add any additional G-money or G-years to the contract. His contract still has no G-money beyond this season. I'm 100% confident he will not play one down without G-money. So in a sense, this is a contract year for Dak because playing for new guaranteed money and years from the Cowboys ( I dare to say elsewhere) but how much???? That's the trick question......lot will depend on this season but you count him and Todd France wanting something in the range of $45-50M.

• Current contract average $40M per year
  • Notice Spotrac puts his current value $43.9M ( this is probably close to what Stephen will offer unless we get to NFCCG or Super Bowl )
  • Just my take, but trade or release are NOT options unless there is a wide gap between what Dak and Todd think he's worth and Stephen drawing the line on what he will pay. Some may ask how this matter.......if we somehow miss the playoff with Dak playing all 17 games, it'll be huge.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

Basically puts them on the clock towards a new deal before that 60 million cap hit in 2024.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah. Is the cap supposed to make a big jump with the gambling money coming in.
Supposedly. But it certainly hasn't happened yet. Also, how much is still owed from the Covid year? I think it went up a whole 10 million this year for the Cowboys. That's nothing, hopefully next year will be a lot more.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The playcalling will keep the ints low. I hope. He was throwing to many tight window throws.
Windows get tight when you take too long to throw the ball. That's the kind of INTs that I remember. Receivers running in the direction of other coverage and Dak taking too long to get rid of the ball so that he was throwing into the next window of coverage.

But I think 2016 and even 2017 was different in that regard.

Fewer throws with receivers heading across the field and more throws along the sidelines or with a receiver running toward the sidelines, so that the receiver was *not* running toward another defender.

Dak would even be better at those kind of plays than he used to be, as he really has improved on his deep ball. He used to leave so many plays on the field by overthrowing receivers deep.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wrong,.....that very comment just proves you havent read a word i've written (if you're going to script you'll just say 'yes I have') you write like a sensitive Dak fan who doesnt read anything when you've got a predetermination that the post isnt supportive of Dak.

Go back and read what ive said before (i doubt you'll bother as you havent yet), I was very complimentary about Dak and agree he does play well.....just found wanting when the chips are down and he's under ultimate pressure (which is my only concern throughout this thread).
I have read your posts. you said, he failed in losses against SF 2022, 2021 because he wilted under pressure. thus if we don't win the superbowl he is wilted under pressure. how else can you intrepret your logic.

and Dak needs to have the right system, right support and he can execute. he is not elite, so he can't put a team on his back and carry them, ala mahomes. he is not even close.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Blame whoever you want but this team hasn't won anything since having a pedigree at the QB position. Aikman was here and don't think for a minute that Troy Aikman could not of won at least one of the last two 49er playoff games with this team. Pedigree gives you a greater chance of achieving at the highest levels.
this team hasn't won anything since Johnson put the team together. people will say switzer, but the core of that team was Johnson's guys. we won it because they tuned him out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
:facepalm:
You just can't discuss anything can you?
I knew I should not have quoted you, as this is the type on childish nonsense you always resort to.

Once again you are wrong.
Do you realize how laughable you look saying I’m wrong about zeke and pollard and you were right?

People are laughing at your zeke posts daily. You are that guy. Lol

raven55

Reaction score
jerry's tinkering is not doing the team any good so what else is new

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I have read your posts. you said, he failed in losses against SF 2022, 2021 because he wilted under pressure. thus if we don't win the superbowl he is wilted under pressure. how else can you intrepret your logic.

and Dak needs to have the right system, right support and he can execute. he is not elite, so he can't put a team on his back and carry them, ala mahomes. he is not even close.
That is such flawed logic. It's more the way he plays, when under pressure, than the outcome.

This years SF game, he was playing well until the Pollard injury, once he went down Dak has to shoulder the diminished running game and step up, .....no team has an armchair ride to a SB win and that's where I see him failing (again, there's something about him playing at the highest level, under the highest pressure).

Where we agree is ....lets have a roster to, for once and for all make an ultimate decision. Perform or move on, cut out all avenue's of blame, especially as there's going to be another extension discussion this time next year. Im not even saying he needs to win a SB in the next year (or two), just an ability to prove that he can handle the pressure.