Let's talk about Dak's restructuring

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The cap hit is the issue here
I understand but since the salary has no guaranteed money what are the odds Dak playing WITHOUT a restructuring or extension? I say zero......in other words, after this season, Dak's contract as it is currently structured is dead, and a new contract will be done either by the Cowboys or a new team.

Flamma

Reaction score
The price goes up for a starting QB every time a good QB gets a contract. The salary cap goes up and skilled positions goes up. But if france wants 50 million I think JJ will say no. IMO only a brady type QB would deserve that. Teams would pay Dak 40-43. We will see this year what’s up. If he continues to throw picks and do it in big games then it’s time to go. But I think we go back to a 2016 type Offense.
In order for Jerry to say no, Dak would have to be a 60M cap hit next year. The Cowboys have pushed so much of his money forward through restructures, they pretty much have to extend him after this season no matter what. The Cowboys are lucky that no player(s) are going to be big cap spikes next year.

Flamma

Reaction score
I understand but since the salary has no guaranteed money what are the odds Dak playing WITHOUT a restructuring or extension? I say zero......in other words, after this season, Dak's contract as it is currently structured is dead, and a new contract will be done either by the Cowboys or a new team.
After this season is typically when a player would get an extension. With one year left on his contract. It's decision time after this season. If for some reason they don't want to extend Dak, he'll probably play our his last year here. Cowboys can't trade or release him due to dead cap. And he won't turn down the 27M.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
After this season is typically when a player would get an extension. With one year left on his contract. It's decision time after this season. If for some reason they don't want to extend Dak, he'll probably play our his last year here. Cowboys can't trade or release him due to dead cap. And he won't turn down the 27M.
Yes he will if it's not guaranteed. Notice the largest cap is 2024 ( $59M) and it's no coincidence it's the first year of the contract w/o any guaranteed money.

Fl... we agree on a lot of things but there is no way in hell Todd France will let Dak play one down under a non-guaranteed contract which is what it will be after this season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To be sure we are all on the same page........the only impact of his restructuring is he gets $29M of his guaranteed $31M salary right now as opposed to having it spread out over 17 games. It did not add any additional G-money or G-years to the contract. His contract still has no G-money beyond this season. I'm 100% confident he will not play one down without G-money. So in a sense, this is a contract year for Dak because playing for new guaranteed money and years from the Cowboys ( I dare to say elsewhere) but how much???? That's the trick question......lot will depend on this season but you count him and Todd France wanting something in the range of $45-50M.

• Current contract average $40M per year
  • Notice Spotrac puts his current value $43.9M ( this is probably close to what Stephen will offer unless we get to NFCCG or Super Bowl )
  • Just my take, but trade or release are NOT options unless there is a wide gap between what Dak and Todd think he's worth and Stephen drawing the line on what he will pay. Some may ask how this matter.......if we somehow miss the playoff with Dak playing all 17 games, it'll be huge.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

When are you going to learn that how far the TEAM gets has little to do with what an individual player gets paid. Its about how well they do their own job. Its not the job of a QB, RB, or DE to get their team to a championship game. Its the TEAMS job.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
so there were those who said, no team can win when the QB makes more than 15% of salary. now, its what? about 10%...

but I am sure those same people will point to next year and go, yeah, but next year its 25%.

the QB salary is not the reason we can't build the right team. its because of Jerry Jones. Dak is just a convenient player everyone wants to point a finger at. that's all.
LOL..............so shocking to actually hear a poster that actually grasps whats really going on here. Well done.

Other than maybe the franchise tag year, Daks salary has been minor and a complete bargain towards the salary cap for a QB.

The trolls keep getting proven wrong over and over again on nearly every subject in regards to the QB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not at all....Dak go out there and prove that the last 2 play-off exits,when he failed to lead the offense to a win despite having the ball with 3 minutes to go were just a double aberration.
I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. His 11.89 CAP% is still fairly high for a SB winning QB (unless you're Brady, Manning or Mahomes level)....but yes no excuses now.
Not a QB's job to lead teams to wins. Teams win games, not QB's. Until you understand this basic concept you arent fit for a football or QB conversation.

"MANNING, BRADY, MAHOMES" LOL

This is the extend of your football knowledge. WAAAAA!!!! I want Mahones. Duh Mahomes does it!!!

mardwin

Reaction score
Dallas has no choice but to extend Dak. Dead money is over 80M. A fool of a contract for any franchise.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
No the same folks do not think Romo is a bum ( i dont either fyi big fan of his also) but facts are facts...this Franchise is on a skid for a long stretch..some folks need a villian for it, i get it.
12-5 isn't a skid, it isnt mediocre. They lost in the playoffs. Just like 13 other teams did.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Again, the reason the Bengals lost the SB wasnt because of Burrows (who was one play away from being the MVP), a brilliant drive beat them. For Allen, that unworldly performance vrs Mahomes in that see-saw play-off game showed him handling pressure, just because Mahomes did what he did doesnt make the defeated QB a failure.
With Dak it was two instances that highlighted the same inability to lead the team.
Do you think Dak leads Dallas to the Super Bowl if the refs call that hold on Irving in 2016?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Dallas has no choice but to extend Dak. Dead money is over 80M. A fool of a contract for any franchise.
Not true at all. They can release him next yr as a June cut and still have over 100mil in cap. Or just release him outright and they'll have around 80mil. So they can cut him next yr if they want. I'm pretty sure that's why they restructured instead of extending. To have a out if he regresses

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
What’s aggravating is a few moves would put us from that 10-12 win team, to contender.

Sign Wagner, Re-sign Hankins, Re-sign Wilson, Sign WR like DJ Chark.

Draft CB and LB in rounds 1 and 2
Although I would make other moves, like Offensive line in either 1 or 2 , I whole heartedly agree with your assessment

People who want to go on and on about this are just well they're just

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes he will if it's not guaranteed. Notice the largest cap is 2024 ( $59M) and it's no coincidence it's the first year of the contract w/o any guaranteed money.

Fl... we agree on a lot of things but there is no way in hell Todd France will let Dak play one down under a non-guaranteed contract which is what it will be after this season.
I don't know whether he'd play or not. I just didn't think he'd lose the 27 million for the year and all of the fines that come with it. Would Todd France reimburse him? But this is just a thought experiment because it's never going to be put to the test. What's Jerry's other choice? Let him play out his final year with a 60M cap hit, and then take another 30+ million dead cap the following year? Dak could throw 50 interceptions next year and that won't happen.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Do you think Dak leads Dallas to the Super Bowl if the refs call that hold on Irving in 2016?
Why strawman everything, we arent talking rookie 2016 year? I havent got a problem with 2016 Dak, with the ALL-Pro O-line and two other 2st Rd picks. This is the problem with most every Dak fans, they believe anyone who voices a concern must have an agenda.....no, I think that he's good, but that he lacks composure and panics at the crucial moment's as evidenced in the last quarters of the last two season ending games.

Mannix

Reaction score
Dak or no Dak is a moot point until we get a true #1 and #3 at WR....I am still calling Lamb a solid 1 1/2 and Gallup a 4.....at best.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You've tried arguing and shifting the blame on EVERY issue, your only negative comment on Dak was that you're not saying he's without fault (which lets be fair is blatantly obvious).
However, that paragraph above is the main reason why I dont think Dak's the QB that's going to win a SB. His weakness is that in high pressure situations in important games where the Offense needs to step up and the clock is ticking we seldom seem to win (eg 2022 and 2023 vrs 49ers).....now you'll probably shift the blame to other aspects, however, he's the greatest influence on what happens, as he touches the ball on every play.
I would say that if we had a team able to give Dak an arm-chair ride (or at least a lead) I think he'd be great, but during a play-off run there will be adversity .....at which point he's yet to show the mental strength and composure to lead the Offense to victory.

As for Jerry I think he's frightened to go ALL-IN and the 49ers second half does give support to his reluctance....needs to see an improvement in Dak and team in 2023.
I am not shifting, you are again, as I have mentioned singularly want to place blame for everything on one player. as I said, he is not great. he is not elite. he makes mistakes, but to ignore the other players including coaches making mistakes makes your argument very agenda driven towards one goal to bash Dak. there were many at fault for the SF losses, and you again, blamed both squarely on Dak. It gives away your mindset that they only way for cowboys to ever find success is by having a top level elite QB. that onto itself is no gaurantee. in 2021, the run defense collapsed. couldn't get SF off the field. in 2022, a defensive battle, our wonderful CB, decided to drop a ball that his hands squarely and then avoid a tackle like a little girl in 5th grade. did Dak play bad? yes, absolutely, but others didn't play great neither. I don't have singular person to blame. I spread it around. some take more blame than others.

and you focus on two games, end of season and say those are the only high pressure games. Tampa was a high pressure game and we dominated. Eagles at home was a high pressure game and we dominated.

you have also clearly said, that Dak doesn't contribute anything to the team, which is a problem onto itself. he contributes. so its up to the coaches and GM to surrond the players with the right personnel and scheme to help the team succeed.

you have yet to place any blame on defensive collapse in the second half of the season.

Jerry is not afraid to go all in because of second half of SF game. that's the most TMZ statement I have yet heard. Jerry doesn't go all in. period. you may want to place blame on Dak. but how do you explain the previous 21 years.

and better get your fingers oiled up and ready to point to the next player of choice after Dak is gone. because Jerry is the owner and his Son is the GM in the waiting.

p.s. did you know Cowboys spent the least cash in 2022? and been bottom three for the past 5 years....

Mannix

Reaction score
------Dak nd Elliot could've gotten this team to the Super Bowl their rookie yr if the defense could've stopped Rodgers and refs didn't cheat. They won't mention that on here tho

Dak didn't do squat that game until it was 21-3.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
------Dak nd Elliot could've gotten this team to the Super Bowl their rookie yr if the defense could've stopped Rodgers and refs didn't cheat. They won't mention that on here tho

Dak didn't do squat that game until it was 21-3.
Yep prevent defense time......... let's bring out the Garbage!!!
Did the same thing vs the Rams falling behind the 1st 3Q and Zeke won the Hawks game while you all know how many points and how he played in 2 playoff games vs the Niners.
The word Superbowl should never be used in the same sentence as inepto Prescott!!!!