Let's talk about Dak's restructuring

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yep prevent defense time......... let's bring out the Garbage!!!
Did the same thing vs the Rams falling behind the 1st 3Q and Zeke won the Hawks game while you all know how many points and how he played in 2 playoff games vs the Niners.
The word Superbowl should never be used in the same sentence as inepto Prescott!!!!
Again i cant take your post seriously i have seen you repeteadly take other fans side against fans here, you are the original "I'm here to troll the Cowboys" to me, you dont like Dak no problem why do you side with patriot fans over our fans..easy enough to me "I dont like Dak but F you if you come on forum and attack other Cowboys fans" you side with all of them...sorry thats your history

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Why strawman everything, we arent talking rookie 2016 year? I havent got a problem with 2016 Dak, with the ALL-Pro O-line and two other 2st Rd picks. This is the problem with most every Dak fans, they believe anyone who voices a concern must have an agenda.....no, I think that he's good, but that he lacks composure and panics at the crucial moment's as evidenced in the last quarters of the last two season ending games.
Michael Irvin said this best

"If you're going to talk cowboy history talk about the w hole history, don't cherry pick"

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I am not shifting, you are again, as I have mentioned singularly want to place blame for everything on one player. as I said, he is not great. he is not elite. he makes mistakes, but to ignore the other players including coaches making mistakes makes your argument very agenda driven towards one goal to bash Dak. there were many at fault for the SF losses, and you again, blamed both squarely on Dak. It gives away your mindset that they only way for cowboys to ever find success is by having a top level elite QB. that onto itself is no gaurantee. in 2021, the run defense collapsed. couldn't get SF off the field. in 2022, a defensive battle, our wonderful CB, decided to drop a ball that his hands squarely and then avoid a tackle like a little girl in 5th grade. did Dak play bad? yes, absolutely, but others didn't play great neither. I don't have singular person to blame. I spread it around. some take more blame than others.

and you focus on two games, end of season and say those are the only high pressure games. Tampa was a high pressure game and we dominated. Eagles at home was a high pressure game and we dominated.

you have also clearly said, that Dak doesn't contribute anything to the team, which is a problem onto itself. he contributes. so its up to the coaches and GM to surrond the players with the right personnel and scheme to help the team succeed.

you have yet to place any blame on defensive collapse in the second half of the season.

Jerry is not afraid to go all in because of second half of SF game. that's the most TMZ statement I have yet heard. Jerry doesn't go all in. period. you may want to place blame on Dak. but how do you explain the previous 21 years.

and better get your fingers oiled up and ready to point to the next player of choice after Dak is gone. because Jerry is the owner and his Son is the GM in the waiting.

p.s. did you know Cowboys spent the least cash in 2022? and been bottom three for the past 5 years....
All those words and you still don't get it. You mention the Tampa game as a defense of Dak when I'd use it to support my theory that its Dak's composure in stressful situations that's the reason he'll never lead us to a SB. The Tampa game he was sublime, but the ultimate pressure wasn't on him, he was allowed to manage and everything went right...AS IVE SAID THROUGHOUT THIS THREAD HE'S GREAT WHEN EVERYTHING'S GOING RIGHT, when things around him start going wrong he appears to capitulate YES I AGREE THAT THERE ARE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE OFFENSE, BUT DAK HAS THE GREATEST INFLUENCE AS HE TOUCHES THE BALL EVERY DOWN.
Even 49ers game ('23), he played well for 25 minutes ....then Play 1 Pollard goes down, Play 2 he throws a poorly thrown ball for int = collapse.
You can attribute the loss on other factors, but Dak gets paid as a manager, not because of his worldly arm (not a criticism, though I'm sure your sensitivities will take it as such)...that means overcoming those situations IN ADVERSITY as well as when everything's going well......

Mannix

Reaction score
I understand but since the salary has no guaranteed money what are the odds Dak playing WITHOUT a restructuring or extension? I say zero......in other words, after this season, Dak's contract as it is currently structured is dead, and a new contract will be done either by the Cowboys or a new team.
So??? I’d rather pay more next year if he has a great 2023 season, then risk extending him now…have him continue to disappoint…and be stuck with a tire on fire around our necks for 5 years!!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The price goes up for a starting QB every time a good QB gets a contract. The salary cap goes up and skilled positions goes up. But if france wants 50 million I think JJ will say no. IMO only a brady type QB would deserve that. Teams would pay Dak 40-43. We will see this year what’s up. If he continues to throw picks and do it in big games then it’s time to go. But I think we go back to a 2016 type Offense.
In that offense, Dak ran for 6 tds, 282 yards, and 4.9ypc. His INT% was < 1% in 2016 and QBR 78. Those days are gone.
Frederick, Tyron, Zack, and Zeke all made All Pro, and deservedly so.
Maybe we go back to 2016 play calling, but I don't see us going back to 2016 offensive play.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
All those words and you still don't get it. You mention the Tampa game as a defense of Dak when I'd use it to support my theory that its Dak's composure in stressful situations that's the reason he'll never lead us to a SB. The Tampa game he was sublime, but the ultimate pressure wasn't on him, he was allowed to manage and everything went right...AS IVE SAID THROUGHOUT THIS THREAD HE'S GREAT WHEN EVERYTHING'S GOING RIGHT, when things around him start going wrong he appears to capitulate YES I AGREE THAT THERE ARE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE OFFENSE, BUT DAK HAS THE GREATEST INFLUENCE AS HE TOUCHES THE BALL EVERY DOWN.
Even 49ers game ('23), he played well for 25 minutes ....then Play 1 Pollard goes down, Play 2 he throws a poorly thrown ball for int = collapse.
You can attribute the loss on other factors, but Dak gets paid as a manager, not because of his worldly arm (not a criticism, though I'm sure your sensitivities will take it as such)...that means overcoming those situations IN ADVERSITY as well as when everything's going well......
... @CowboysFaninHouston - I'm not saying the ultimate issue isn't the Jones'.
Your comment about cash spent last year is irrelevant, it's all about the CAP allocation.
For reasons of Dak's injury and CAP HELL for the three years leading up to 2024, though admittedly with signing bonus structure big hole filling signings can be made in 2023, there are some mitigating reason's for the cautious CAP approach eg Coop OR Schultz OR Randy......THAT ARGUMENT HAS GONE, WE'VE SETTLED THE CAP SHIP (yes, by luck as much as design).
I'm surprised we restructured so much of Dak's money, based on the conflicting reports from the FO this offseason about how to improve the offense, which indicates uncertainty with: play-calling, scheme, roster AND the guy who manages it all.
But the decision made and the restructure is, if not an ALL-IN aporoach, then its certainly a PROVE-IT year for both MM and Dak, we'll probably get at least serious upgrade at WR as a minimum

I've no idea what benchmark the FO will place on Dak, I just hope they make a decision, after 2024, on his ability to win a SB, based on composure concerns (not on what's best way to manipulate the CAP).

If (with this off-season spending) he's a success (or at least shows its not a failure in composure or stepping up), he'll have another chance in 2025 (or wins it all he gets the Daddy if all contracts), however, if he still can't lead with all this year's roster improvements he'll possibly be a Post June ($34m CAP saving) cut along with MM.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed as Jerry & Co. have lacked a spine for some time now in regard to not caving to players contract demands.
How do? They’ve literally played hardball with every single player except Jaylon and Collins and of course it bit them in the ***. They also gave Romo a blank check they tried to play hardball with Dak, Zeke, Amari……

USArmyVet

Reaction score
How do? They’ve literally played hardball with every single player except Jaylon and Collins and of course it bit them in the ***. They also gave Romo a blank check they tried to play hardball with Dak, Zeke, Amari……
They caved on Zeke, DLaw, and Dak which is not playing hardball. As for some of the other contracts, they sure made bad decisions.

csirl

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is that Dak isnt good enough, no matter how much or how little he's paid.

The best way to deal with this type of player/contract is to get both off the books asap. If anything, they should have shifted money from 2024 to 2023 not the other way round. Make the June 1st 2024 cut as painless os possible.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The elephant in the room is that Dak isnt good enough, no matter how much or how little he's paid.

The best way to deal with this type of player/contract is to get both off the books asap. If anything, they should have shifted money from 2024 to 2023 not the other way round. Make the June 1st 2024 cut as painless os possible.
Old Fart Jerry thinks he gonna get one before he kicks up his boots.
GL Jerry if you think inepto cap-guzzling Prescott is going to give you this going-away present.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Daks best chances to win a SB were while he was cheap. Not that his cap hits are enormous its harder for cheapo stephen to build around. Part of that is stephens limited use of the cap. Dak hasnt been good enough to overcome shortcomings abd its not changing. They can look amazing vs bad teams then struggle vs the better teams. Absolutely destroyed a bad tampa team in the playoffs then looked pathetic vs SF. Itll be this untill there is a real GM who actually wants to win a SB who also finds the right HC QB combo.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
... @CowboysFaninHouston - I'm not saying the ultimate issue isn't the Jones'.
Your comment about cash spent last year is irrelevant, it's all about the CAP allocation.
For reasons of Dak's injury and CAP HELL for the three years leading up to 2024, though admittedly with signing bonus structure big hole filling signings can be made in 2023, there are some mitigating reason's for the cautious CAP approach eg Coop OR Schultz OR Randy......THAT ARGUMENT HAS GONE, WE'VE SETTLED THE CAP SHIP (yes, by luck as much as design).
I'm surprised we restructured so much of Dak's money, based on the conflicting reports from the FO this offseason about how to improve the offense, which indicates uncertainty with: play-calling, scheme, roster AND the guy who manages it all.
But the decision made and the restructure is, if not an ALL-IN aporoach, then its certainly a PROVE-IT year for both MM and Dak, we'll probably get at least serious upgrade at WR as a minimum

I've no idea what benchmark the FO will place on Dak, I just hope they make a decision, after 2024, on his ability to win a SB, based on composure concerns (not on what's best way to manipulate the CAP).

If (with this off-season spending) he's a success (or at least shows its not a failure in composure or stepping up), he'll have another chance in 2025 (or wins it all he gets the Daddy if all contracts), however, if he still can't lead with all this year's roster improvements he'll possibly be a Post June ($34m CAP saving) cut along with MM.
yes, cash spent matters....yes, there is a cap, but cash is about signing the high end players, FAs and spending today (putting out bonuses and cash), spreading it over multiple years. the cash spend is directly tied to your FA acquisitions. I don't have to explain our FA we have acquired. second part of cash spend is resigning your own players. most of the cash spent is on just several players. we can sit here and argue who we like who we don't like. results speak for itself in all phases of our team.

and there hasn't been cap hell. last year we had 20M on the cap. chose not to spend it. previous year we could have done the same. we chose not to do it. its not cap hell. its a made up fallacy by those who just want to point fingers.
and for 2023, Dak's cap hit has been reduced, by paying upfront money. so that will go to your cash spent, and my comment about where we spend our cash.

and we are now in the 4th year of "prove-it" year. not sure what "prove-it year" means, but its being thrown around a bunch these days.

and going back to your previous comments. you mentioned (and here is well, calling it composure instead), if we don't win the superbowl, then Dak has failed because of pressure and lost his composure. its either win it all or you lost your composure.

before declaring roster improvements. lets see who we sign and add to the team. Was last year, really a roster improvement? really?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
according to your logic, if we don't win the superbowl Dak has failed under pressure.

and yet again, another poster giving credit to everybody else when we succeed and pointing all fingers at Dak when we fail. this is exactly wha tyou just did. everything in Tampa was everybody else. he just managed. but in SF, we failed because of Dak.

and perhaps Dak has something to do when things go right..no? just read your own post right here.....on the one hand you give credit to "everything else" when we succeed , and then in the same breath you mention that he has greatest influence beause he touches the ball every play, but then just like I said, it was everything else going right.....he either has influence both good and bad or he doesn't. you can't selectively say, good things go to everybody else and bad things is because of him, although he has the greatest influence, but according to you all the influence is when things go bad.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have not won a SB yet???? I swear Herbert has 2 or 3 playoff games won already does he not?
Seeing how his 1st 2 years the team did not make the playoffs. And last year was his 1st playoff game. And then lost in epic fashion. That answer would be a NO.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When are you going to learn that how far the TEAM gets has little to do with what an individual player gets paid. Its about how well they do their own job. Its not the job of a QB, RB, or DE to get their team to a championship game. Its the TEAMS job.
But yet you claimed many times that Zeke's contract will hold the team back from signing players that will help the TEAM.
And do not bring up performance, as Dak failed the team as well.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
But yet you claimed many times that Zeke's contract will hold the team back from signing players that will help the TEAM.
I was confused as well by the false assertion that a player's salary has no impact on how far a team advances in the playoffs. When you have a handful of players making a large percentage of the salary cap it makes it difficult to fill the remainder of the roster with enough quality players for team success. In addition, saying it's not the job of the QB, RB, DE, etc. to get the team to a championship is another false statement as oftentimes those positions are among the highest paid on a team which inherently comes with the responsibility to help 'carry' a team towards a championship.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was confused as well by the false assertion that a player's salary has no impact on how far a team advances in the playoffs. When you have a handful of players making a large percentage of the salary cap it makes it difficult to fill the remainder of the roster with enough quality players for team success. In addition, saying it's not the job of the QB, RB, DE, etc. to get the team to a championship is another false statement as oftentimes those positions are among the highest paid on a team which inherently comes with the responsibility to help 'carry' a team towards a championship.
Right. And this is what we hear all the time...except for some stout Dak fans, all of a sudden it does not apply. Yes, confusing, double standard talk.
I like Dak, but this past season I am not going to be rah, rah over him. Well, actually I was never Rah, Rah. But I defended him more than I should have.
However, I defend most players because they are on the team I root for. Yes, there are some I do not like, but not going to rag on them all the time either.

I like Zeke, I think he can still be productive more so than he has been. But I also know the best thing for the team moving forward is to get rid of that huge contract.
Now if they restructure or release, they get about the same cap savings. So it comes down does the team still think he can be productive for at least another year. At least they know what they have, a sold player still, as opposed to some 3rd round rookie.

I think the scheme change and play calling will help him and Pollard a lot, as long as they fix the OL issues. Maybe run blocking schemes with the new OL coach. Get a passing game a defense respects, as not to stack the box all the time, because they do not fear the QB. Can that change also help Dak, we will see.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke is simply grossly overpaid for his position and what he brings to the table.

QB is the most important position in football. Do I really have to explain these simple facts to you?

zeke on the other hand has been abysmal and his position is one anyone rarely forks out for. Its a double whammy for the hapless Zeke.

Do you think pointing out other players potential failures makes Zeke less of a failure? LOL

Poor guy. Zeke let you down. It was very predictable, and it was predicted. It was explained to you over and over again by me specifically. Not my problem if you held on too long or were shocked by his rapid downfall.

And then Pollard? Insult to injury indeed.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is simply grossly overpaid for his position and what he brings to the table.

QB is the most important position in football. Do I really have to explain these simple facts to you?

zeke on the other hand has been abysmal and his position is one anyone rarely forks out for. Its a double whammy for the hapless Zeke.

Do you think pointing out other players potential failures makes Zeke less of a failure? LOL

Poor guy. Zeke let you down. It was very predictable, and it was predicted. It was explained to you over and over again by me specifically. Not my problem if you held on too long or were shocked by his rapid downfall.

And then Pollard? Insult to injury indeed.
:facepalm:
You just can't discuss anything can you?
I knew I should not have quoted you, as this is the type on childish nonsense you always resort to.

Once again you are wrong.