Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some of you guys think you know more than coaches, scouts and FOs! That's so stupid, that it's funny. If you don't catch the ball, you must suck! To bad they don't give fantasy points for blocking and doing the dirty work that helps teams win.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle are all ahead of him. Exactly how many targets do you think he is going to get???
Everyone is ahead of him because he hasn’t been very good. The big knock on him coming out of college was he wasn’t a good receiving TE. He was arguably our worst TE in training camp. There was an article from a pro Cowboys site saying he was our biggest disappointment in training camp. The TE that got the best reviews in training camp was John Stephens who got injured. Jake Ferguson has completely taken over our number one TE position. I feel almost certain if the Cowboys had to do over in the second round, they wouldn’t take Schoonmaker.

They were real high on Sam Laporta who’s looked terrific for Detroit but he was off the board. They opted for what was left at TE and so far have gotten burned. To put in perspective how bad Schoonmaker has been, Gavin Escobar had 9 catches for 134 yards and two TDs, his rookie season, and he had Jason Witten in front of him. He may provide something as a blocker, but we could’ve gotten a blocking TE later in the draft. I really don’t know what you see in him.

starfan1

Reaction score
It honestly dont matter at this point because hes here but I do think he was a stupid pick even if the cowboys had TE as higher priority. Dont mean Schoon the player is stupid it means the cowboy front office is if they thought TE was a bigger priority than OL or LB or for that matter RB

TE was not a need IMO before round 4 perhaps. The cowboys reached

Having said that I have seen improvement but he aint Fergy by a long shot. I also recognize that Torrence may not fit in here as the cowboys decided not to have Tyler at LT so where would we put Torrence if he were here? Tyron staying healthy has been a pleasant surprise as i had him as swing tackle.

These other OL guys Richards and Bass better workout cause I still believe OL is gonna bite us down the stretch. Steele and Tyler B scare me.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone is ahead of him because he hasn’t been very good.
He wasn't expected to be. He came from a run first offense in college not a pro pass offense. He is right in line where he was expected to be. At least 8th in line for targets.

I guess everyone forgets he is a rookie and thinks we drafted the next Kelce.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Care to share Hendershot stats on the season?
Hendershot has been injured almost all season. He’s only been active for three games. Plus, he was an undrafted free agent not a second round pick.

McMicah

Reaction score
I said from the moment he was picked that he looked like an IDEAL TE2. Solid all around with pride in blocking. Thats not a TE1 but it’s a great TE2.

I like how he’s trending

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He wasn't expected to be. He came from a run first offense in college not a pro pass offense. He is right in line where he was expected to be. At least 8th in line for targets.

There’s no way they expected as little as this from him. All the TEs that were mentioned in the draft with Schoonmaker have out produced him by a mile as rookies. Entering training camp our TE position looked wide open. The jury was still out on Ferguson. There were some that even liked Hendershot better. We would’ve never drafted Schoonmaker had we not lost Dalton Schultz in free agency. We did offer Schultz a contract, but he turned it down. We wanted to make sure we were covered at TE. Had the Cowboys thought Ferguson was going to take a stranglehold of the position the way he has, they would’ve never drafted Schoonmaker. I really don’t know why you seem so enamored with him. At least 90% of the fans have been disappointed with him.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If you want a blocker just draft OL.

A TE isn't worth it in the second round unless they can test the seams of a defense vertically.

Gambit

Reaction score
Hendershot has been injured almost all season. He’s only been active for three games. Plus, he was an undrafted free agent not a second round pick.
Hmm.

So had we not drafted Schoonmaker, whom do you suppose would have played the snaps he's played, as well as he's played them over last several weeks?

Genuinely curious as to whom you will give us.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

You seem to forget that he drops everything lol

And at his peak, the player you're describing isn't worth the pick. A guy who is 8th in targets shouldn't get more than a late-round pick.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Hmm.

So had we not drafted Schoonmaker, whom do you suppose would have played the snaps he's played, as well as he's played them over last several weeks?

McKeown. They're the same player.

There's like 50 TEs in the league who you could put at TE2 right now and not notice the difference

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I think Luke is coming along well and is a good player. My problem with drafting him in the 2nd round is not that’s he’s bad but that he’s totally superfluous to the team since we already had Ferguson and a solid backup in Hendershot. That draft pick should have been used on an equally talented player at a position of more need in my opinion.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hmm.

I don’t think Schoonmaker has played all that well over the last several weeks. Even as a blocker he didn’t score real well in one of the PFF grades that were posted. If we didn’t have him, we might have traded for TE or used Fant or McKeon. With Peyton Hendershot’s injury those were the only options.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If your 2nd round pick is getting significant playing time and is a positive contributor to the team...not really a wasted pick.
I know I know...but Ferguson is killing it so we did not need Schoon.
He is contributing on the field quite a bit. Those players are not wasted picks.

Trysten Hill was a wasted pick. He might have got playing time but he had next to zero contribution to the team.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
We paid $90,000 USD for a Honda Accord.

A perfectly fine reliable yet uninspiring vehicle that we needlessly paid a self-imposed markup on.