Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the only other player they might have taken in that spot would have been Florida OG OCyrus Torrence who went a pick or so later....or maybe a few third rounders like Drew Sanders or Jaylin Hyatt.

Frankly if they did not take Schoon there I would not have been shocked if they would have taken Overshown who they took in the third. Word is they were high on him so it would not have been a shocker

rambo2

Reaction score
Got nothing against the guy but we really needed OL upgrades, you can't get those in FA, tight ends on the other hand you can get any day of the week.
Has there been something wrong with the olinemen that they added? They have a good starting oline and have depth and Schoonmaker is contributing in every game.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
You'd think fans would have learned by now not to judge any drafted player before year 2-3, not even a first rounder.
Even if he never beats out Ferguson, that doesn't mean it was a bad pick. IF he continues to progress, maybe next year we go with more 2 TE - 2 WR sets since we can't seem to find or afford a decent #3 anyway. Then the run game should improve and Dak will have 2 big targets in the seams. Most teams struggle to find one guy who can cover a TE, much less 2.
Problem is the dude is already 25

Creeper

Reaction score
Put aside the draft pick and let's look at the player. Remember, he missed almost the entire preseason and that is a big deal for a rookie. From what I have seen, he has been improving. He was open last night deep down the middle but Dak didn't see him and threw to the left sideline instead. Had Dak hit him it would have been a TD. Look at Schultz's numbers for his rookie year, and his second year. Schoonmaker has 2 TDs to Schultz's 0. Schoonmaker has 14 targets this year and 7 have come in the last 5 games. He has 5 receptions on those 7 targets.

I don't know what he will be in a year or two, but he is improving. With Ferguson playing the way he has, Schoonmaker is going to get limited opportunities.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys prioritized and he was drafted for immediate impact blocking and special teams. He has done that.

He was higher on their board than OL or LB. I know fans who don't like the pick overlook that simple fact a lot.
It’s interesting to me what too many here expect of this guy. Jake Ferguson’s rookie season was not eye popping although he’s really come on this year. In Dalton Schultz’s first TWO seasons here, these were his stats combined:
  • Schultz’s 2018 and 2019 numbers combined: 13 receptions for 122 yds, 0 TDs. He broke out in year 3.
  • Jake Ferguson as a rookie: 19 receptions for 172 yds, 2 TDs. And most his production came in the last 7 games.
  • Schoonmaker through his first 12 NFL games: 7 for 57, 2 TDs. Not great but not unusual for prior TEs around here.
I wasn’t thrilled with that pick, but I’m amazed at the overreaction to his “lack of production”. We need to give him some time to develop. 90% of all NFL players need time to develop.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
I guess maybe. We will see I would rather have had Torrence needed to try and move up to get laporta. That who they really wanted. Should have did what it took to move up

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
What was the knock on Torrence. What has he done this year. I have not followed him at all

rambo2

Reaction score
I guess maybe. We will see I would rather have had Torrence needed to try and move up to get laporta. That who they really wanted. Should have did what it took to move up
What would you do with Torrence? They have Martin, Tyler, and Tyron. A move up and they wouldn't have Overshown.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
How long do really think Tyron will hold up? Obviously online depth is an issue.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
No it has not. Been very sketchy at times. When Tyron goes down again and he will. They will struggle at LT. they are hell bent on kept Tyler and LG. You trust ball

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'd take my backup chances with John Stephens for a few of those years provided he comes back well from his injury.

I was low-key excited to see what Stephen’s would have looked like. I thought he was making this roster prior to injury.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

not so sure Turpin and Dowdle are ahead of him as you say

Gambit

Reaction score
It hasn't been a lot. How many has it been? 2 isn't a lot.
Well on season 18 total drops for Cowboys 2023 season, not clear if that has been updated to reflect last night or not which is 3rd highest in league.

I can count at least 3 for CD over past few games.

rambo2

Reaction score
it's not that Schoon is a bad player, it's just that we should've went in another direction with that pick. I (and others) said before the draft that Ferguson was looking to be a good player and we didn't need another TE and here we are.

Not apples to apples but i knew after the pick this would turn out to be a Witten/Martellus Bennett type of situation. Schoonmaker may very well turn into a decent player but he likely won't be getting a 2nd contract if Ferguson keeps doing what he's doing,
Schoonmaker is already a decent player.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the only other player they might have taken in that spot would have been Florida OG OCyrus Torrence who went a pick or so later
And knowing what we know now Torrence wasn't going to be the pick. There literally wasn't OL they had rated about Schoon. But for some reason most in here continuously say we should have gone OL.