Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I think it was Pass2Run that posted a thread a few weeks back about how well Schoon has been blocking. I've been paying attention to his blocking since, and I do have to admit he's been blocking well. Last week he had a block where he took on one defender, then switched to another very smoothly & quickly. That was a nice play. Last night he was open down the middle for a TD, but Dak went to another player with the ball.

To be fair, Schoon has had a lot of drops. Really horrible drops. Passes that hit him in both hands. We'll see how he develops. He's a rook that missed a lot of camp. It's early.

The issue is not so much the player, but the draft pick. That's just not where you draft a developmental backup TE. Many scouting reports had him as a potential backup TE at best. If he develops into an elite starting TE, he will certainly have been worthy of the second rounder. Time will tell.

Other options in the second round might have helped this year's team more. RB, OL....

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboys prioritized and he was drafted for immediate impact blocking and special teams. He has done that.

He was higher on their board than OL or LB. I know fans who don't like the pick overlook that simple fact a lot.
I don't overlook that fact at all. I question the decision for a guy who is a sometimes blocker over a guy who is heralding himself at a position on the offensive line. I rarely, if never, hold out a position on draft picks and the wisdom behind them. But I think what this guy brings, and what could have been had they chosen a different path could have made a world of difference.

Enough to win against the 9ers and Eagles? Maybe not this time around. But ultimately Dallas will need to throw some serious attention to an aging line.

I have been saying this for a good while now. If you keep Dak relatively clean, and have a running game, Dak can deliver. The usual suspects come back with, "That's the way it is with all QB's."

But you have seen Dak deliver some gaudy numbers over the years when he is protected. If that is the case, then building the best line in the game - see Hurts and the Eagles - it can only got to raise this team to a new level.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don't care. Still not worth a 2nd at this point.
ohh the great one person's opinion over coaching staff and scouts...nice try. by the way where we picked him might as well been the third round. Forget how low we pick in rounds.. so i disagree with you i think that jerry's still out but i like the kid. hes not a Bust!.. he's a role player right now because hes low on the depth chart in targets, so hes not going to get his chance to develop quickly... the fact that he's taking Hendershot and Mckeon's snaps says he's worth the pick, for NOW. i mean where are 12 games into a rookie season limited offseason due to injury, it doesn't matter what you think your fan not pro scout or coach,

i don't think the coaches think that.. thats all that important.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
ohh the great one person's opinion over coaching staff and scouts...nice try. by the way where we picked him might as well been the third round. Forget how low we pick in rounds.. so i disagree with you i think that jerry's still out but i like the kid. hes not a Bust!.. he's a role player right now because hes low on the depth chart in targets, so hes not going to get his chance to develop quickly... the fact that he's taking Hendershot and Mckeon's snaps says he's worth the pick, for NOW. i mean where are 12 games into a rookie season limited offseason due to injury, it doesn't matter what you think your fan not pro scout or coach,

i don't think the coaches think that.. thats all that important.

So you still think the Taco Charlton and Trystan Hill picks were slam dunks then?

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Ferguson is a big part of this offense right now.

If we took the guard myself and most others wanted in the 2nd, that player wouldn’t be contributing at all right now.

At least we stopped having tight ends that constantly whiff on run blocks.
This exactly.

I hated the whiffing from Schultzy that killed drives every sunday, Big Mike probably too. Thats why he pushed for a TE so early in the draft. Give the kid some time, he will be ok.

blueblood70

Reaction score
For a massive reach, he sure looks solid.
fans calling him a reach is just an opinion that's not what the coaches scouts and gm think.., we literally pick in the bottom of end of every round, might as well been a third round pick... when you're picking that late and say they wanted to pass up on him and pick him in the third, he might have been gone by the time we picked late in the third...they wanted him got him and fans unfounded opinion means nothing..

Beaker42

Reaction score
Don't care. Still not worth a 2nd at this point.
And not needed. Even though I know I’m gonna get pi$$ed I’m going to go back and look at the draft to see who was taken after we took this kid.

JayFord

Reaction score
outrage for no reason

Ferguson is stepping up and Luke is contributing blocking wise which is kinda why we bought him in

idc 9-3 and we putting up 600 points a game

Gambit

Reaction score
McKeown. They're the same player.

There's like 50 TEs in the league who you could put at TE2 right now and not notice the difference
And Yet, McKeon isn't playing above him, and the stats provided show he's 10th in pass blocking grade and 4th run blocking grade.

How do 50 others not grade as well and yet offer the same production? This makes Zero sense

Look, he's a rook who misses most of training camp, and as you pointed out earlier came from a run oriented offense.

He's not been nearly as bad as most people think, and wasn't a waste of that pick.

People just have unrealistic expectations of some positions as it relates to draft selection.

Gambit

Reaction score
fans calling him a reach is just an opinion that's not what the coaches scouts and gm think.., we literally pick in the bottom of end of every round, might as well been a third round pick... when you're picking that late and say they wanted to pass up on him and pick him in the third, he might have been gone by the time we picked late in the third...they wanted him got him and fans unfounded opinion means nothing..
By far your most articulate post to date.

rambo2

Reaction score
So far he’s been the least productive of any of the TEs we drafted in the second round. None of those TE’s ever saw a second contract with the team and I don’t expect he will either. We’re 12 games into the season and he’s only caught 7 balls for 61 yards. He has a couple of TDs from a yard out. He’s had at least a couple of drops. I was not happy with his selection on draft day. He hasn’t come close to living up to his second round draft status. The emergence of Jake Ferguson makes the pick look even worse. Ferguson showed potential as a rookie and continues to get better. He’s looked like what you would expect from a second round pick, but he was drafted in the fourth round.
The pick looks fine. He is already showing that he can start if needed.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

Got nothing against the guy but we really needed OL upgrade with that pick, you can't get those in FA, tight ends on the other hand you can get any day of the week.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ummmm two players are not the same type of players at all.
yeah, I'm not sure what he's saying, Escobar looks more like jarwin or Hendershot to me.. Schoonmaker reminds me of , hmmm dare i say maybe Dan Cambell .. he's got a big body like Bavaro but Bavaro was pretty good dont want to go there yet,