Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Many believe drafting Schoon was a mistake, I thought they took him a round too high, but you need two TE's in today's game. Schonn might not be a great receiver at this point in time, but he is an excellent in line blocker.
Mike said a priority last offseason was to own the c-gap... to get better at blocking the edges. (Shot across Schultz's bow.) And both he and Ferg are much better at that than Dalton was.

At the very least, I'll take a solid and dependable contributor over Jerry's infamous injury or character gambles -- like Bossman -- in the second round.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
He wasn't expected to be. He came from a run first offense in college not a pro pass offense. He is right in line where he was expected to be. At least 8th in line for targets.

I guess everyone forgets he is a rookie and thinks we drafted the next Kelce.
Except Kelce was drafted in the 3rd round. I don't think he was 8th in line. I guess it's a good problem for us to have.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Exactly.......I'm not sure they trusted Ferg's blocking and/or protection skills at the time of the draft. In other words, they have been using 2 TEs to replace Jason Witten. I like the idea of having both players. Orlovsky mentioned the other day how Dak loves playing with TEs.
In my opinion, fixing the run game and stopping the run should be the priority in the offseason. With Ferguson/Schonn, they have the ability to effectively play more 12 personnel, where you can either run or pass out of the formation, but forces defenses to match up in their base package (3 linebackers). Really believe they need to upgrade both Center and Running back to bring back an elite rushing attack. As for defense, they need to add a legitimate mike linebacker.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
In my opinion, fixing the run game and stopping the run should be the priority in the offseason. With Ferguson/Schonn, they have the ability to effectively play more 12 personnel, where you can either run or pass out of the formation, but forces defenses to match up in their base package (3 linebackers). Really believe they need to upgrade both Center and Running back to bring back an elite rushing attack. As for defense, they need to add a legitimate mike linebacker.
Interested in anything from this list..........

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They probably won't have the cap funds to sign a tier 1 back, but they could sign a mid-level veteran and use the draft to add another. Do not see Pollard returning.
They have devalued the position to where I'm not sure any on that list will get $10M on the open market. In other words, $5-6M may get you one.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think they liked a bunch of TEs including Kincaid. I also think there’s a world where they would have considered Kincaid had he gotten to them but were interested in letting the board fall to them. They obviously valued Mazi and it was widely reported they also considered Bergeron (OT from Syracuse) at pick #26 over the remaining TEs at that point. Then, there was a run on TEs before their next pick in 2nd round so they forced the Schoonmaker at pick #58.

We’ve seen this scenario play out before in the 2021 draft when Surtain and Horn went before our pick in Round 1. It was widely reported they had both corners graded high and were content to take whichever of the two that fell to them at #10.

However, both were drafted ahead of our spot. We ended up trading back and taking Micah at #12 but the team was then dead set on taking a corner in Round 2. It was also reported they liked CB Tyson Campbell but he was taken with the first pick of Round 2 and the CB position was picked clean (5 CBs taken at that point). The Cowboys were then forced to take a gamble on Joseph at pick #44 to address the CB position.
Horrific drafting strategy.

JBond

Reaction score
So far he’s been the least productive of any of the TEs we drafted in the second round. None of those TE’s ever saw a second contract with the team and I don’t expect he will either. We’re 12 games into the season and he’s only caught 7 balls for 61 yards. He has a couple of TDs from a yard out. He’s had at least a couple of drops. I was not happy with his selection on draft day. He hasn’t come close to living up to his second round draft status. The emergence of Jake Ferguson makes the pick look even worse. Ferguson showed potential as a rookie and continues to get better. He’s looked like what you would expect from a second round pick, but he was drafted in the fourth round.
All that can be true, but that doesn't mean he can't develop as the OP suggested.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Did a Russian sub leave an atomic bomb residue containing oil slick behind about 1968? That can't be argued either thanks to an analysis made by the University of Hawaii. The same as in Hunt for Red October...fact. K219 Clandetine...naw, this is sport.

Go Cowboys?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Why are we judging this pick already? You don't draft for immediate relief. That's how you end up with high floor, low ceiling types that will need to be replaced after their rookie contracts expire. You can't always find immediate all-pro contributors. Dalton Schultz did nothing his first two years, and developed into a pro-bowler. Was he a bad pick? Give the kid time to develop. He's already made a name for himself in the run game, and will be fine in the passing game with more reps.

RonWashington

Reaction score
When the running lanes are open as well as pass catching ability I would be reluctant to put Pollard out next yr.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All that can be true, but that doesn't mean he can't develop as the OP suggested.
There’s a possibility he could develop, I’m just saying so far he’s been a disappointment. Based on how well Jake Ferguson is developing, he’s setting himself up for a nice second contract. I don’t see Schoonmaker getting a second contract.

rambo2

Reaction score
There’s a possibility he could develop, I’m just saying so far he’s been a disappointment. Based on how well Jake Ferguson is developing, he’s setting himself up for a nice second contract. I don’t see Schoonmaker getting a second contract.
You need more coffee.

conner01

Reaction score
Don't care. Still not worth a 2nd at this point.
Time will tell if he’s worth it or not. He’s a raw reciever who can block well. If he develops as a reciever then he may be worth it. If he’s still just a blocker 2 years from now then he wasn’t worth a second