Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't like Torrence. His name repeatedly gets throw out there but he is irrelevant to us. Solari on draft day told the guys on the draft coverage that they are looking for "athletic" offensive linemen. The Cowboys still needed TWO blocking tight ends, and Hendershot offers nothing with blocking. McKeon is not a route runner. Stephens may eventually grow into a blocker, but at this point, he's still just a receiver. Schoonmaker can both block and pass. It's still a good pick.

The Cowboys had different priorities than you. Specifically, they want to run more effectively, which meant they needed a TE that can both block and run. That’s why they didn’t want Kincaid. He’s just a receiver. They identified the TE’s that we’re good at both blocking and receiving and we’re targeting those TE’s. Did you see those blocking numbers in the OP?

RAS:

Don’t think for a second what you’re claiming is rooted in facts. You’re treating your assumptions as fact.

You’re also playing the results saying “oh, they didn’t want Kincaid,” when they didn’t have the opportunity to even pass on him.

rambo2

Reaction score
Don’t think for a second what you’re claiming is rooted in facts. You’re treating your assumptions as fact.

You’re also playing the results saying “oh, they didn’t want Kincaid,” when they didn’t have the opportunity to even pass on him.
I think that they liked LaPorta more than Kincaid. I think they are very happy to have Schoonmaker.

Mark

Reaction score
This team loves its TEs, and despite a clunker here & there, have been lucky to have some great ones.

Who here remembers David LaFleur, drafted in the first round (#22) in 1997? Both Aikman (whose input was sought on the pick) and the front office had him rated above Tony Gonzales (Troy worked-out with both), if you can believe that.

kskboys

Reaction score
This team loves its TEs, and despite a clunker here & there, have been lucky to have some great ones.

Who here remembers David LaFleur, drafted in the first round (#22) in 1997? Both Aikman (whose input was sought on the pick) and the front office had him rated above Tony Gonzales (Troy worked-out with both), if you can believe that.
Goes to show, once again, players cannot accurately evaluate other players.

Mark

Reaction score
Goes to show, once again, players cannot accurately evaluate other players.
Anyone, player or not, who can evaluate talent without error could name his price in this League.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

This was a Jerry pick. Just to satisfy the old man.

He always seems to mess it up.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think that they liked LaPorta more than Kincaid. I think they are very happy to have Schoonmaker.

I think they liked a bunch of TEs including Kincaid. I also think there’s a world where they would have considered Kincaid had he gotten to them but were interested in letting the board fall to them. They obviously valued Mazi and it was widely reported they also considered Bergeron (OT from Syracuse) at pick #26 over the remaining TEs at that point. Then, there was a run on TEs before their next pick in 2nd round so they forced the Schoonmaker at pick #58.

We’ve seen this scenario play out before in the 2021 draft when Surtain and Horn went before our pick in Round 1. It was widely reported they had both corners graded high and were content to take whichever of the two that fell to them at #10.

However, both were drafted ahead of our spot. We ended up trading back and taking Micah at #12 but the team was then dead set on taking a corner in Round 2. It was also reported they liked CB Tyson Campbell but he was taken with the first pick of Round 2 and the CB position was picked clean (5 CBs taken at that point). The Cowboys were then forced to take a gamble on Joseph at pick #44 to address the CB position.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. They made an error.
Did a Russian sub leave an atomic bomb residue containing oil slick behind about 1968? That can't be argued either thanks to an analysis made by the University of Hawaii. The same as in Hunt for Red October...fact. K219 Clandetine...naw, this is sport.

Some on site go on stupidity and clear ignorance, but expect everyone else to go along as well.

It is well established already, that Jerry has established a team for player evaluations. It has been top shelf effective in assembling a top roster over the past three seasons. But also, the team makes and directs those very moves. I really don't know why these people continue to believe in the 'black hole'...even looking for air craft there.

Let them play out as Bill Parcells stated...until they arrive or depart. I'm not buying, in secrecy for football.

Last edited:

Desperado

Reaction score
we drafted a backup TE of all positions in the second freaking round!!!! are you *** kidding me?!!?
Cowboys run the 12, 13, or 23 personnel groups around 30% of the time. So in addition to the backup role, the #2 TE is an integral part of the offensive strategy. Add in Special Teams, and it is even more significant. This isn’t Fantasy Football, where you line up one TE every week. Good teams pay attention to these details.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

Many believe drafting Schoon was a mistake, I thought they took him a round too high, but you need two TE's in today's game. Schonn might not be a great receiver at this point in time, but he is an excellent in line blocker.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Many believe drafting Schoon was a mistake, I thought they took him a round too high, but you need two TE's in today's game. Schonn might not be a great receiver at this point in time, but he is an excellent in line blocker.
Exactly.......I'm not sure they trusted Ferg's blocking and/or protection skills at the time of the draft. In other words, they have been using 2 TEs to replace Jason Witten. I like the idea of having both players. Orlovsky mentioned the other day how Dak loves playing with TEs.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The more reps Schoon gets the more targets the better he will become . I think at his size he’s a great red zone target . I wanted an OL round 2 but given Hendershots injury filled non factor yr this pick has turned out not bad and will only get better.

I noticed Mazi Smith pancaked on a Seattle run play and here again this is a pick who needs reps to improve . Same with Sam Williams . Can’t get better on the bench .