Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

MarcusRock

Reaction score
But how does he compare to the majority of Dallas's 2nd rounders over the past 10 years?
He's on the field doing something at least so that's cool. But still at a high price (and at the same price) as the guy he can't surpass on the field.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Cowboys prioritized and he was drafted for immediate impact blocking and special teams. He has done that.

He was higher on their board than OL or LB. I know fans who don't like the pick overlook that simple fact a lot.
They SHOULD go with the highest player on their board....and not reach for positions

The problem is....their board was wrong.

He's a fine #2 type blocking TE.

You take nice #2 type TE's in the 7th, or get them as UDFA. He's not a 2nd round quality player.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's on the field doing something at least so that's cool. But still at a high price (and at the same price) as the guy he can't surpass on the field.
I feel like he was a fallback guy, just in case our other TEs didn't pan out.

rambo2

Reaction score
They SHOULD go with the highest player on their board....and not reach for positions

The problem is....their board was wrong.

He's a fine #2 type blocking TE.

You take nice #2 type TE's in the 7th, or get them as UDFA. He's not a 2nd round quality player.
They know what they were doing. They drafted a good player.

817Gill

Reaction score
For those of you asking for a LG, do y’all not see a generational LG in Tyler Smith?

Why would y’all want to draft a backup LG with your second round pick? Are y’all ok?

Before you say Smith should move to LT, just get out of fantasy land. He’s a generational LG, he’s not moving lol. You get 12-15 games of top flight LT play from Tyron and have Edoga/Richards fill in the rest.

Tyler Smith is not jumping out to LT when Tyron goes down; meaning Torrence wouldn’t even play unless Tyler was hurt. That would’ve been such a waste, not to mention he does not fit the trap and pull scheme as he’s a power guy with bad feet.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We could’ve had Tank Dell or Achane. Instead, we took a TE getting MAYBE 5 snaps per.

I do not believe they would have taken either of those two players. at that spot. Maybe in the next round but maybe not even then.
They were going to come away with Overshown and a TE. They wanted LaPorta at TE. He was taken.
They gambled they would not get a TE they wanted in the third with the run on TEs...so they took Schoon.

They did like Achane at RB but they had their eye on the Texas RB Roschon Johnson SP? As I do not think they would have taken a WR or RB with the second.

I do believe it was either a TE or LB and they liked Overshown but maybe would have taken Drew Sanders in the second from Arkansas as he was taken a few picks later.

Updated...Jaylin Hyatt might have been the only WR they would have taken that was available.

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted O'C in the 2nd and Darnell Washington in the 3rd. If we wanted a blocking TE Washington is basically a Tackle from 80's.

I think this combo would have helped our running game.
I would have been ok with that. Or Drew Sanders and Washington.

rambo2

Reaction score
For those of you asking for a LG, do y’all not see a generational LG in Tyler Smith?

Why would y’all want to draft a backup LG with your second round pick? Are y’all ok?

Before you say Smith should move to LT, just get out of fantasy land. He’s a generational LG, he’s not moving lol. You get 12-15 games of top flight LT play from Tyron and have Edoga/Richards fill in the rest.

Tyler Smith is not jumping out to LT when Tyron goes down; meaning Torrence wouldn’t even play unless Tyler was hurt. That would’ve been such a waste, not to mention he does not fit the trap and pull scheme as he’s a power guy with bad feet.
The Cowboys have the 2 top guards and an outstanding left tackle and these guys think that the Cowboys needed a guard over Schoonmaker. Also the rookie linemen they did draft and sign haven't looked bad either.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I don’t think most people would argue he probably will turn into a decent player, it’s just we all saw Fergy taking the step he has.

So using a 2nd round pick on a TE didn’t make sense at the time and still is head scratching.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which doesn't change the fact they made a mistake. They should have gone offensive line.

Torrence as of this week

817 snaps
6 penalties
1 sack
The Cowboys didn't like Torrence. His name repeatedly gets throw out there but he is irrelevant to us. Solari on draft day told the guys on the draft coverage that they are looking for "athletic" offensive linemen. The Cowboys still needed TWO blocking tight ends, and Hendershot offers nothing with blocking. McKeon is not a route runner. Stephens may eventually grow into a blocker, but at this point, he's still just a receiver. Schoonmaker can both block and pass. It's still a good pick.

The Cowboys had different priorities than you. Specifically, they want to run more effectively, which meant they needed a TE that can both block and run. That’s why they didn’t want Kincaid. He’s just a receiver. They identified the TE’s that we’re good at both blocking and receiving and we’re targeting those TE’s. Did you see those blocking numbers in the OP?

RAS:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Should of been a 4th round pick at best
I kind of wonder if they hadn't picked him if he would have been available at the Fehoko pick in round 4. That guy hasn't been on the active roster this year.

Oh well. Every draft class can't be like last year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys didn't like Torrence. His name repeatedly gets throw out there but he is irrelevant to us. Solari on draft day told the guys on the draft coverage that they are looking for "athletic" offensive linemen. The Cowboys still needed TWO blocking tight ends, and Hendershot offers nothing with blocking. McKeon is not a route runner. Stephens may eventually grow into a blocker, but at this point, he's still just a receiver. Schoonmaker can both block and pass. It's still a good pick.

The Cowboys had different priorities than you. Specifically, they want to run more effectively, which meant they needed a TE that can both block and run. That’s why they didn’t want Kincaid. He’s just a receiver. They identified the TE’s that we’re good at both blocking and receiving and we’re targeting those TE’s. Did you see those blocking numbers in the OP?

RAS:

Doesn't matter. They made an error.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
I said this in a previous post. Obviously Schoonmaker has been practicing well or doing all the unnoticed things to get him more snaps. Ive noticed his snap count has increased over the last few weeks. Im going to take the patient route with him, remember Schultz only had one catch the entire second season but developed into a very productive player.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Fergy has sealed the deal on TE #1. Schoon can get the scraps. Honestly, I’m already more interested in Stephens than Schoon.

Nexx

Reaction score
we drafted a backup TE of all positions in the second freaking round!!!! are you *** kidding me?!!?