Let's try to think the way this front office operates (1st rd pick)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They seem to stick to the BPA with the 1st pick on their draft board. So many needs, so hard to say what happens.

2nd round and beyond seem to be reach picks and for players they claim was used wrong in college. Or an injured player as we know all too well about that.
Then they tell us how they got value at those picks.

I am not excited about FA or the draft this year. I may just record it this year, and speed though all the other crap instead of wasting 6 or 7 hours a day for 3 days.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This front office doesn't usually draft future starters, they like to target, day 1 plug and play starters. Now with a HC on a one year deal and Jerry coming out and saying this offseason won't be as much for the future, but more improving the team in the present, which positions have an opening?

QB-Dak is expected to be back in some form.
RB-there isn't a back worthy of a 1st rd selection this yr.
WR-strong possibility, where teams usually start 3 receivers. Gallup may not return, Tolbert still remains more of a backup.
TE-Very deep and just used a 2nd rd pick
T-If Tyron Smith is back, they aren't drafting a 1st rd Tackle to sit, but if he doesn't return becomes top need.
G-once again, where is this 1st rd player going to start?
C-strong possibility if they allow Biaz to leave via fa

DE-possible. A lot will depend on how Zimmer is going to use Parsons
3DT-possible. It would depend upon how they feel about Osa

NT-not happening with this franchise in back to back years, but is a need
LB-there isn't a linebacker worthy of a 1st rd selection.
CB-Strong possibility, Zimmer loves 1st rd corners, but will depend on if Gilmore resigns
S-they just resigned both starting safeties
Wide receiver will be the sneaky surprise pick. Fans will hate the pick but a wide out might be the best available player at 24. The way the Joneses draft, I can’t imagine them drafting 3 linemen with the 1st pick 3 years in a row.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wide receiver will be the sneaky surprise pick. Fans will hate the pick but a wide out might be the best available player at 24. The way the Joneses draft, I can’t imagine them drafting 3 linemen with the 1st pick 3 years in a row.
Start some stupid rumors about Marvin Harrison Jr. so he can drop to us. Otherwise, yeah, give me the 3 linemen picks. Well a LB as well. Trade down, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd, or even a 4th.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Start some stupid rumors about Marvin Harrison Jr. so he can drop to us. Otherwise, yeah, give me the 3 linemen picks. Well a LB as well. Trade down, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd, or even a 4th.
A receiving core of CeeDee, Cooks, Ferguson, and Coleman might be the best in the league. At the very least the Cowboys offense would be fun to watch. The Joneses are about entertainment.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think this post is amazing, did someone say TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Did someone say 4th round pick!!!?

cnuball21

Reaction score
This front office doesn't usually draft future starters, they like to target, day 1 plug and play starters. Now with a HC on a one year deal and Jerry coming out and saying this offseason won't be as much for the future, but more improving the team in the present, which positions have an opening?

WR-strong possibility, where teams usually start 3 receivers. Gallup may not return, Tolbert still remains more of a backup.
T-If Tyron Smith is back, they aren't drafting a 1st rd Tackle to sit, but if he doesn't return becomes top need.

CB-Strong possibility, Zimmer loves 1st rd corners, but will depend on if Gilmore resigns
Agree with most, but I don’t think Tyron would keep them from drafting an OT in round 1. They’d probably see it as someone who can compete with Steele for RT and be the guy that steps in when Tyron misses a few game.

WR should be a target early IMO. Franklin is turning into one of my favorite options at 24…love his game and not sure why he isn’t getting as much love as someone like Thomas. Also great options on day 2.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree with most, but I don’t think Tyron would keep them from drafting an OT in round 1. They’d probably see it as someone who can compete with Steele for RT and be the guy that steps in when Tyron misses a few game.

WR should be a target early IMO. Franklin is turning into one of my favorite options at 24…love his game and not sure why he isn’t getting as much love as someone like Thomas. Also great options on day 2.
We might not like it, but Steele isn't going anywhere as they just signed him to a long-term extension. However, there is an out after two seasons, but expect them to restructure that deal. I cannot see them using a 1st rd pick on a part-time player, especially this season. Fully aware of Tyron's lack of durability, but they rarely use their 1st round selection for the future. The rookie has to start somewhere.

Wide receiver hasn't been talked about enough, in my opinion. First, they have contracts that expire, next Gallup appears done and last, Tolbert hasn't become that receiver they hoped after drafted. What happens if Lamb goes down? I have said for years, this offense lacks that true X receiver since they released Dez Bryant, Lamb is more of a slot receiver.

I wouldn't rule out taking a 1st rd corner, either. Zimmer has a history of taking a ton of corners in the 1st round as he is a former defensive back coach. Clearly, the team needs a speed complement next to Diggs, where Bland might be best served as the slot corner.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me at all if they gave MM another offensive weapon. Our passing offense was pretty much just Lamb sprinkled in with flashes from Ferguson/Cooks, adding another weapon makes sense. However, the pick really needs to be for the trenches as our OL is aging and not good enough, especially their inability to run the football. I all over taking the Oregon Center, if not him Barton from Duke intrigues me as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep. DLaw is nearing the end. Armstrong is probably gone. Fowler may be gone but he’s not a starter. Sam Williams, 1 or 2sacks a year Gholston, Redshirted Fehoko?

Yeah we need DE and DT, on top of C, LB, RB and even OT.

We will be lucky if we adequately address two or three of these positions.
We aren't going to address all needs, one team ever does. They have to concentrate their resources trying to improve stopping and running the football.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The 3rd WR on this team is more of a backup role. CD, Ferg, Cooks are primary targets. Tolbert and Brooks have shown they can handle WR 3. That being said, I'd not rule out a WR at 24 if one of top guys somehow fall.

Agreed, I think he'll be back though. He wants to, played at a very high level last year.

Again agreed. In normal years, I think they either resign or replace in FA, this year has some outlier circumstances though, I personally see them targeting a C Rd 1.

Sneaky need, there are a few Id like Robinson and Borlus to name 2. Not sure they pull that trigger there though.

This draft stronger with 3T guys. By early 4th most 1T will be picked over. I'd be very ok with Sweat at 24.

I'd be surprised, but if Kool-aid is there, maybe they take a sip. DeSean projects at S in NFL and would probably fit well for Zimmer but don't see us spending our 1 on him.

History shows us when new DC comes in they get them help via FA, Id expect at least on LB and run stuffing 1T brought in. Grover Stewart anyone?

If JPJ is there he should be pick. Doubtful he will be though, but the run on OT may scare teams into it very drafting them.
Nice analysis!

-You know the team likes to draft the best at the position if they can, you are right Tackle may scare them.
-What's your thoughts on the Toledo corner-Mitchell?
-We cannot expect Lamb to continue to get the majority of the targets. Need others to step up.
-My expectation hasn't changed LB, RB, NT in fa and in the draft double up at LB, RB and address Center. I'm in on Stewart in a big way!

rambo2

Reaction score
My guess is one of these will be the pick:
Jared Verse edge Florida State
Taliese Fuago ot. Oregon State
Jackson Powers-Johnson c Oregon
Graham Barton ol. Duke
Troy Fautanu ol Washington
Tyler Nubin s Minnesota

cnuball21

Reaction score
We might not like it, but Steele isn't going anywhere as they just signed him to a long-term extension. However, there is an out after two seasons, but expect them to restructure that deal. I cannot see them using a 1st rd pick on a part-time player, especially this season. Fully aware of Tyron's lack of durability, but they rarely use their 1st round selection for the future. The rookie has to start somewhere.

Wide receiver hasn't been talked about enough, in my opinion. First, they have contracts that expire, next Gallup appears done and last, Tolbert hasn't become that receiver they hoped after drafted. What happens if Lamb goes down? I have said for years, this offense lacks that true X receiver since they released Dez Bryant, Lamb is more of a slot receiver.

I wouldn't rule out taking a 1st rd corner, either. Zimmer has a history of taking a ton of corners in the 1st round as he is a former defensive back coach. Clearly, the team needs a speed complement next to Diggs, where Bland might be best served as the slot corner.
Usually...but Mazi only played in about 28% of the teams defensive snaps.

Yup - sign me up for WR/CB if a stud falls. Franklin, Thomas Jr, Kool Aid and Dejean are all options that could realistically slide that I'd be excited about.

MikeT22

Reaction score
We aren't going to address all needs, one team ever does. They have to concentrate their resources trying to improve stopping and running the football.
Of course we won’t. But we have an awful lot of needs for a team that supposedly drafts so well.
The reality is it’s highly unlikely we end up with three quality starters from this draft. Lucky if you get two. With FA we don’t have much to spend nor the desire.

With a lame duck HC too, more likely we take a step backward than getting over the hump.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Will McClay and co have some pretty clear tendencies.

• They usually slant towards need over BPA. They're willing to go BPA if a stud like CeeDee or Martin just smacks them in the face, but overall, they usually go shopping by position and reach for need. For example, we were sitting dead-red on a CB in 2021, and Parsons was our trade-down fallback plan. We circled back and reached for KJ to make up for it.
  • They always target premier athletes in the early rounds. Not just good athletes, exceptional athletes. And every year, they prove themselves willing to overlook literally any kind of risk if a guy has top-end physical talent. Nerve damage, felony charges, 0.5 sacks in 2 seasons, no flag is red enough.
  • They will often defer to coaches. Marinelli and Quinn both got a lot of their types of guys. I would imagine that a strong offensive coordinator would too, but JG and Mike McCarthy have a major "happy to be here" vibe and knew they don't have too much weight to throw around.
If you want a concise way to put it, I'd call the Cowboys draft strategy "gambling on athletic freaks at positions of need."

With that, I'd say our major needs this year are LB, RB, and C. Filter that by stud athletes and totally disregard risk, and I'd say your board for the first two rounds is....

LB
-Edgerrin Cooper
-Payton Wilson

RB
-Jonathan Brooks
-Jaylen Wright

C
-JPJ
-Graham Barton.

rambo2

Reaction score

• They usually slant towards need over BPA. They're willing to go BPA if a stud like CeeDee or Martin just smacks them in the face, but overall, they usually go shopping by position and reach for need. For example, we were sitting dead-red on a CB in 2021, and Parsons was our trade-down fallback plan. We circled back and reached for KJ to make up for it.
  • They always target premier athletes in the early rounds. Not just good athletes, exceptional athletes. And every year, they prove themselves willing to overlook literally any kind of risk if a guy has top-end physical talent. Nerve damage, felony charges, 0.5 sacks in 2 seasons, no flag is red enough.
  • They will often defer to coaches. Marinelli and Quinn both got a lot of their types of guys. I would imagine that a strong offensive coordinator would too, but JG and Mike McCarthy have a major "happy to be here" vibe and knew they don't have too much weight to throw around.
If you want a concise way to put it, I'd call the Cowboys draft strategy "gambling on athletic freaks at positions of need."

With that, I'd say our major needs this year are LB, RB, and C. Filter that by stud athletes and totally disregard risk, and I'd say your board for the first two rounds is....

LB
-Edgerrin Cooper
-Payton Wilson

RB
-Jonathan Brooks
-Jaylen Wright

C
-JPJ
-Graham Barton.
All.of those players are on my buy list.

cnuball21

Reaction score

LB
-Edgerrin Cooper
-Payton Wilson

RB
-Jonathan Brooks
-Jaylen Wright

C
-JPJ
-Graham Barton.
Rock solid write up. Makes me wonder if they’ll have Barton over JPJ? I think JPJ is a good athlete but Barton has more length and appears to be a freak athlete on tape with how natural and easy his movement skills are.

1: Barton
2: Wilson
3: Wright

It’s needy, and I’m not a fan of the standard injured player in round 2, but decent value and I could get on board with something like this…just not how I’d do it. Plug in FA and draft the best talent.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Like they did with Mazi??

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Of course we won’t. But we have an awful lot of needs for a team that supposedly drafts so well.
The reality is it’s highly unlikely we end up with three quality starters from this draft. Lucky if you get two. With FA we don’t have much to spend nor the desire.

With a lame duck HC too, more likely we take a step backward than getting over the hump.
That's a realistic expectation, but the hope is they actually do something in fa this yr.