Le'Veon Bell to the Jets

Garrettop

Reaction score
Wonder what it is about the Steelers behind the scenes that had AB and Bell both wanting out period.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got 35mil gtd, 10 mil less than Gurley.

But his total money amount can hit 61mil. Probably based off performance calculators and maybe playoff appearances.

I don't think he played last year correctly, ultimately rejecting to sign the FT, and I wonder if certain owners/GMs didn't want to deal with him.
He seemed to always be linked to the Jets from last year, but I think they were dealing with a little more power on their side with him.

I'd call that "lack of a market". It was clear from the get-go that the Jets had little to no real competition. Bell's agent tried to float stories out ther about other teams like the Ravens being interested when nine of it was true. And Bell tried to wit it out hoping someone else would step up and they never did. The Jets realized it and gave them an ultimatum - sign know or we pull our offer and you scramble to find anything close. So Bell reluctantly took it, and now he goes to a Jets team bereft of both talent and relevance.

He gambled and lost.

John813

Reaction score
I'd call that "lack of a market". It was clear from the get-go that the Jets had little to no real competition. Bell's agent tried to float stories out ther about other teams like the Ravens being interested when nine of it was true. And Bell tried to wit it out hoping someone else would step up and they never did. The Jets realized it and gave them an ultimatum - sign know or we pull our offer and you scramble to find anything close. So Bell reluctantly took it, and now he goes to a Jets team bereft of both talent and relevance.

He gambled and lost.

Yup. Agree with that.

I don't blame him for rejecting the 5yr 70 mil offer, but rejecting the tag was a risk that backfired on him due to pay and probably respect around the league.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
:hammer:

And I hope the Steelers now enjoy looking up at the Browns in the division.
yep. it's the browns to lose. the Ravens lost a lot of talent, as did the Steelers. Will be interesting to see if Tomlin gets canned at the end of the year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep. it's the browns to lose. the Ravens lost a lot of talent, as did the Steelers. Will be interesting to see if Tomlin gets canned at the end of the year.

I'm expecting it, and not a bit too soon.

All of these problems have come under his watch.

He's a lot of talk and a wanna-be tough guy coach.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but I can see why he held out rather than playing under a 2nd tag. We all know more than any other position RBs carries the most risk and shortest life cycle. I know many say he lost $14M he'll never get back but another side of the coin he would have also been one hit/ ACL away from seeing that amount tripled lost. Especially if he felt the Steelers intent was to use him for a 2nd tag and let him walk or trade.

What's interesting is many posters fans have suggested they would never give a RB a second contract. As we've heard, run him to the ground and refresh with another one. Not a bad strategy as a fan but if you're player thinking about you're a career it leaves no choice but to protect/fight yourself any way you can.

BTW.....Personally, I probably wouldn't have sat out the entire year but reported and played min number of min games.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Just me but I can see why he held out rather than playing under a 2nd tag. We all know more than any other position RBs carries the most risk and shortest life cycle. I know many say he lost $14M he'll never get back but another side of the coin he would have also been one hit/ ACL away from seeing that amount tripled lost. Especially if he felt the Steelers intent was to use him for a 2nd tag and let him walk or trade.

What's interesting is many posters fans have suggested they would never give a RB a second contract. As we've heard, run him to the ground and refresh with another one. Not a bad strategy as a fan but if you're player thinking about you're a career it leaves no choice but to protect/fight yourself any way you can.

BTW.....Personally, I probably wouldn't have sat out the entire year but reported and played min number of min games.
14.5 to play for a year. I wonder what the guaranteed money in his new contract is.

For me I would have played but if I was dinged up then I am not toughing it out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
14.5 to play for a year. I wonder what the guaranteed money in his new contract is.

For me I would have played but if I was dinged up then I am not toughing it out.

Double edged sword.....on one hand, if you play your teammates/coaches expect 110% otherwise you're labeled as saving yourself for a contract. Another hand, don't show and labeled selfish by fans and media.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I wouldn't crown the Brown just yet. The Steelers seem to always have a way of replacing elite players.

uvaballa

Reaction score
And lost over $14 million that he'll never see.
He didn’t really lose money since he got a big deal this year. If he played and got hurt this deal would have likely been much lower. He also can probably play a year longer since he didn’t have wear and tear from last season. He didn’t lose anything.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn’t really lose money since he got a big deal this year. If he played and got hurt this deal would have likely been much lower. He also can probably play a year longer since he didn’t have wear and tear from last season. He didn’t lose anything.

Wow!

Is that a joke?

Or is this something that someone actually believes?

CowboyChris

Reaction score
how many times has Bell failed the drug test? isn't he almost one strike away?

kskboys

Reaction score
He has his security and a year less of wear and tear. But if reports are true, still sounds like the Steelers long-term offer was better. Key here is sound coz we don't have full details.
He already had his security.

Geez, do you guys seriously not understand how much 14 million is? These terms simply do not fit the situation.

kskboys

Reaction score
Or Bell hated the Steelers so much it was never really about $$$
Oh, is that why he didn't get any other offers and finally took the Jets offer when they wouldn't budge?

Sorry, guys, you can't twist this, facts are glaring.