Life after Jerry

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Watching the FOX Pre-Game Show bit with Jimmy and Jerry yesterday really opened my eyes to how much age has caught up with both of them, but especially Jerry. Maybe it’s the calm fishing in the Florida Keys, but Jimmy appears to be aging better than Jerry. Jerry really is getting up there, and we all know he has enjoyed the good life at times, and is a workaholic. Not to be morbid, but you have to figure the end is near.

Not to turn this into an ‘I hate Jerry and good riddance’ thread but what are your thoughts on what the organization will be like without Jerry?

Here are my assumptions:

- Jerry has great lawyers and accountants that will figure out how to keep the franchise with his family like most owners have, although I think our franchise might be different in that it’s worth so much more than previous franchises. Probably last one to transfer to the son was the Raiders after Al Davis?
- Is Stephen Jones going to be the owner? Talk about a real-life HBO Succession. Wonder if the Jones Clan is fighting about that behind the scenes? One child gets the yacht, one gets the team, one gets the estate, LOL. Will Gene just get it all and it gets pushed off until her death? Jerry really is the godfather of all of that and will be interesting how he sets it up.
- Will Stephen carbon copy his father and be the owner/GM or will he opt for a less high profile GM position? I remember Bill Parcells talking highly about Stephen’s skill set so I can only assume the position of GM is his? Almost feel like Stephen has been the voice of reason at times that sells the other opinions to Jerry.
- Current coaches, scouts, Will McClay… do you think Stephen is onboard with all of them?

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Watching the FOX Pre-Game Show bit with Jimmy and Jerry yesterday really opened my eyes to how much age has caught up with both of them, but especially Jerry. Maybe it’s the calm fishing in the Florida Keys, but Jimmy appears to be aging better than Jerry. Jerry really is getting up there, and we all know he has enjoyed the good life at times, and is a workaholic. Not to be morbid, but you have to figure the end is near.

Not to turn this into an ‘I hate Jerry and good riddance’ thread but what are your thoughts on what the organization will be like without Jerry?

Here are my assumptions:

- Jerry has great lawyers and accountants that will figure out how to keep the franchise with his family like most owners have, although I think our franchise might be different in that it’s worth so much more than previous franchises. Probably last one to transfer to the son was the Raiders after Al Davis?
- Is Stephen Jones going to be the owner? Talk about a real-life HBO Succession. Wonder if the Jones Clan is fighting about that behind the scenes? One child gets the yacht, one gets the team, one gets the estate, LOL. Jerry really is the godfather of all of that and will be interesting how he sets it up.
- Will Stephen carbon copy his father and be the owner/GM or will he opt for a less high profile GM position? I remember Bill Parcells talking highly about Stephen’s skill set so I can only assume the position of GM is his? Almost feel like Stephen has been the voice of reason at times that sells the other opinions to Jerry.
- Current coaches, scouts, Will McClay… do you think Stephen is onboard with all of them?
First of all it's way too soon I don't think it's morbid but I think the way medical technology is he will stay alive for quite a long time even if he can't stay in everyday operations then that comes into question who's the next GM not the owner the ownership will probably stay the same even if he's on his Home-care or somewhat immobile, So when he can't really be the face of the franchise anymore...

In my opinion Stephen will be the interim owner , he'll take over his father's duties as far as being the face and the media guy I think he likes it almost as much as Jerry however I think he might be more clear that Will McClay is the GM because Will McClay has been the GM..​
come on people just because he doesn't have the title we all know the influence WM has had on Jery and THIS teams roster building. I've noticed it over the last five or six years things have been changing slowly Jerry's been giving up more and more control and you can see that his staff the people that are doing the GM by committee so to speak are doing a lot more than he is he's just the mouthpiece now he wants to be the face and I don't believe he's doing a whole lot behind the scenes tell you the truth...​

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
First of all it's way too soon I don't think it's morbid but I think the way medical technology is he will stay alive for quite a long time even if he can't stay in everyday operations then that comes into question who's the next GM not the owner the ownership will probably stay the same even if he's on his Home-care or somewhat immobile, So when he can't really be the face of the franchise anymore...

So that brings up the next question… Jerry was stumbling around a bit with his words yesterday. Reminded me of a certain high profile figure we’re not allowed to talk about in the forums. LOL. At what point, does Jerry retire, and let everyone else run it. There have been active owners involved into their 90’s but very few as involved as Jerry has been with the organization.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So that brings up the next question… Jerry was stumbling around a bit with his words yesterday. Reminded me of a certain high profile figure we’re not allowed to talk about in the forums. LOL. At what point, does Jerry retire, and let everyone else run it. There have been active owners involved into their 90’s but very few as involved as Jerry has been with the organizatio.
Well it's not coming into question I'm telling you my gut feeling is the last three years he's been less involved probably a lot more than you think I think he trusts Dan Quinn and Mike McCarthy and will mcclay and they've been doing a lot of the work and then Steven Jones is picking up the slack we're needed with contracts and whatnot but I don't think Jerry's been as involved as you all want to believe he is he's not meddling just because he likes to be the mouthpiece and do a lot of interviews that doesn't make him involved, that makes him appear involved.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry will live forever....he'll be like the Crypt Keeper from Tales From the Crypt.
:laugh:

Future preview of 2068’s Training Camp ‘State of the Team’ opening statements from Jerry.

giphy.gif

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don’t think too much will change tbh…I think Jerry has relinquished a lot of control to Stephen and McClay but Jerry is just the face and name that’s put on it and the voice who goes on the radio stations.

The jones family in totality will likely be named as owners of the franchise according to the estate and then there will be a figure head tabbed as one who represents the cowboys publicly and that’ll likely be Stephen.

I think the amount of power that people think Jerry utilizes on the day to day as far as roster moves is greatly overstated. I think it’s been a by committee approach for several years now.

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry has intelligent money and legal people working for him so my assumption would be he worked out a deal with the IRS to pre pay the inheritance taxes that would enable the family to keep the team. That said I think Stevie while not the salesman Jerry is, will turn out to be mostly a chip off the old block. In other words not good.,

Preoccupied

Reaction score
way medical technology is he will stay alive for quite a long time

With the possibility of Cryonics + Cryopreservation, and the pickljng of his brain with Johnny Walker Blue Label.
That long time may come again in a rebirth of some form of JJ the GM.
Although which parts will be bionic, and which will be biologicol will remain to be seen.

He ain't never going to release the reigns.:lmao2:

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I'm sure the succession plan has already been established in a will and whatnot, so I doubt they'll be much infighting amongst the Jones'. I'm sure Stephen will be the owner, but we'd probably be best served with Charlotte. She seems like she has the best head on her shoulders out of the 3 kids. Well, the 3 he actually claims, lol. Hopefully Stephen gives Will McClay the actual GM title, I'd be surprised if Stephen is like Jerry in that regard.

As much as Jerry has frustrated me over the years, I'll definitely miss him when he's gone. He's an entertaining, seemingly authentic guy who's been fun to follow. He's certainly not perfect, and his ego has definitely cost us at least 1-2 more rings, but without him who knows if we'd have the 3 from the 90's. And god knows Stephen will be about as fun as watching paint dry when he speaks.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think the amount of power that people think Jerry utilizes on the day to day as far as roster moves is greatly overstated. I think it’s been a by committee approach for several years now.
Agreed. But Jerry is still the figurehead. Always at the end of the table and you can tell no one including Stephen moves on something without his blessing. Very transparent in the war room on draft days since they show it real-time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
With the possibility of Cryonics + Cryopreservation, and the pickljng of his brain with Johnny Walker Blue Label.
That long time may come again in a rebirth of some form of JJ the GM.
Although which parts will be bionic, and which will be biologicol will remain to be seen.

He ain't never going to release the reigns.:lmao2:
Johnny Walker Blue brain pickling?

:lmao2::lmao2:

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I think there will be a lottery that comes out the second he dies, his family will know nothing of it. It will cost $100 a ticket and you will only have 24 hours to purchase one. ( unlimited sales ) Winner will become sole owner of the Cowboys. Someone on here will somehow win it. We will never win a game ever again.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think there will be a lottery that comes out the second he dies, his family will know nothing of it. It will cost $100 a ticket and you will only have 24 hours to purchase one. ( unlimited sales ) Winner will become sole owner of the Cowboys. Someone on here will somehow win it. We will never win a game ever again.
@PAPPYDOG going to win it and we’ll have a new QB every month. :thumbup: