Life after Jerry

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching the FOX Pre-Game Show bit with Jimmy and Jerry yesterday really opened my eyes to how much age has caught up with both of them, but especially Jerry. Maybe it’s the calm fishing in the Florida Keys, but Jimmy appears to be aging better than Jerry. Jerry really is getting up there, and we all know he has enjoyed the good life at times, and is a workaholic. Not to be morbid, but you have to figure the end is near.

Not to turn this into an ‘I hate Jerry and good riddance’ thread but what are your thoughts on what the organization will be like without Jerry?

Here are my assumptions:

- Jerry has great lawyers and accountants that will figure out how to keep the franchise with his family like most owners have, although I think our franchise might be different in that it’s worth so much more than previous franchises. Probably last one to transfer to the son was the Raiders after Al Davis?
- Is Stephen Jones going to be the owner? Talk about a real-life HBO Succession. Wonder if the Jones Clan is fighting about that behind the scenes? One child gets the yacht, one gets the team, one gets the estate, LOL. Will Gene just get it all and it gets pushed off until her death? Jerry really is the godfather of all of that and will be interesting how he sets it up.
- Will Stephen carbon copy his father and be the owner/GM or will he opt for a less high profile GM position? I remember Bill Parcells talking highly about Stephen’s skill set so I can only assume the position of GM is his? Almost feel like Stephen has been the voice of reason at times that sells the other opinions to Jerry.
- Current coaches, scouts, Will McClay… do you think Stephen is onboard with all of them?
I lose sleep at night who the next ringmaster will be in Jerry's world!!! :muttley:
Oh no don't lose Will McClay as he's drafted soooooo well...........right Taco and all those wasted # 2 picks.
One thing you can be certain of as a JONES will be at the helm and the circus will continue.
Can you say Chicago Cubs anyone?????

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Watching the FOX Pre-Game Show bit with Jimmy and Jerry yesterday really opened my eyes to how much age has caught up with both of them, but especially Jerry. Maybe it’s the calm fishing in the Florida Keys, but Jimmy appears to be aging better than Jerry. Jerry really is getting up there, and we all know he has enjoyed the good life at times, and is a workaholic. Not to be morbid, but you have to figure the end is near.

Not to turn this into an ‘I hate Jerry and good riddance’ thread but what are your thoughts on what the organization will be like without Jerry?

Here are my assumptions:

- Jerry has great lawyers and accountants that will figure out how to keep the franchise with his family like most owners have, although I think our franchise might be different in that it’s worth so much more than previous franchises. Probably last one to transfer to the son was the Raiders after Al Davis?
- Is Stephen Jones going to be the owner? Talk about a real-life HBO Succession. Wonder if the Jones Clan is fighting about that behind the scenes? One child gets the yacht, one gets the team, one gets the estate, LOL. Will Gene just get it all and it gets pushed off until her death? Jerry really is the godfather of all of that and will be interesting how he sets it up.
- Will Stephen carbon copy his father and be the owner/GM or will he opt for a less high profile GM position? I remember Bill Parcells talking highly about Stephen’s skill set so I can only assume the position of GM is his? Almost feel like Stephen has been the voice of reason at times that sells the other opinions to Jerry.
- Current coaches, scouts, Will McClay… do you think Stephen is onboard with all of them?
Stephen does not have the PT Barnum in him that Jerry does,
He will not be able to get away with what Jerry has in regards to being a poor GM.
When Dak ages out, and the Cowboys start losing, he will be forced to hire a GM, to keep butts in the seats.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I lose sleep at night who the next ringmaster will be in Jerry's world!!! :muttley:
Oh no don't lose Will McClay as he's drafted soooooo well...........right Taco and all those wasted # 2 picks.
One thing you can be certain of as a JONES will be at the helm and the circus will continue.
Can you say Chicago Cubs anyone?????
The Cubs? Well… Stephen Jones is starting to slowly look like Harry Caray. :muttley:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh lord… you think the Hollywood spotlight is bad now, wait until our owner starts tweeting about games and players every night! :muttley:

Hahaha, I could see that. But hey, we might also get a never before seen behind the scenes look at the Cowboys lol. Imagine the AI stuff in the stadium lol. Basically, a football version of Tomorrowland

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Jerry is the voice of the Franchise. Stephen will do that once he is gone/retired. I do not know what duties, if any, the other kids have within the organization but my guess is that that they will all be the "owners" with specific duties outlined to perform, and will most likely be the same duties they have today. I have long thought that titles (GM, VP of this, VP of that) really mean next to nothing in the big scheme of things of the Dallas Cowboys and I doubt that changes in the future. But it could be the one thing Stephen will do differently but I doubt it.

Motorola

Reaction score
:laugh:

Future preview of 2068’s Training Camp ‘State of the Team’ opening statements from Jerry.

giphy.gif
Crypt Keeper resembles Skip Bayless in that clip.

Motorola

Reaction score

Here are my assumptions:

Franchise ownership split among the siblings.
Stephen becomes President, makes McClay the GM.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jimmy Carter is 99
Clint Eatwood is 93
Jerry Jones is 81

Just sayin', he could have a ways to go.
Don’t know… Jimmy Carter is a god fearing teetotaler who spends all day building houses for the homeless. Clint Eastwood still works out every day and goes shirtless in movies when he was 90. Jerry on the other hand is the epitome of those 90’s Cowboys - Work hard, play hard. Just saying… life catches up.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Don’t know… Jimmy Carter is a god fearing teetotaler who spends all day building houses for the homeless. Clint Eastwood still works out every day and goes shirtless in movies when he was 90. Jerry on the other hand is the epitome of those 90’s Cowboys - Work hard, play hard. Just saying… life catches up.
Forgot:
George Burns 100 and was always puffin' on a cigar.

Motorola

Reaction score
Jimmy Carter is 99
Clint Eatwood is 93
Jerry Jones is 81

Just sayin', he could have a ways to go.
Off-topic - but since you brought him up...the former POTUS has been in hospice care since February - his wife (96) entered hospice care last week.

popp1234

Reaction score

Here are my assumptions:

Not to be morbid, but you have to figure the end is near.

Lol. Can he at least go into hospice care first?

MS17

Reaction score
First, I know nothing about Gerontology. But I watched a 10-minute interview with Jerry and Jimmy yesterday. (NFL on Fox) The two discussed the good old days, how Jerry brought him to the Cowboys organization in '89, the ROH, etc.
I watched Jerry closely, his face, mannerisms, speech and to me, the man is slowing down rapidly. It happens to us all, matter of time.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Agreed. But Jerry is still the figurehead. Always at the end of the table and you can tell no one including Stephen moves on something without his blessing. Very transparent in the war room on draft days since they show it real-time.

I think those videos sometimes are for show tbh…they play it up. Sure, he’s the owner and nothing goes without his ok but I think he mainly just listens to those guys on most of the football matters