Life after Jerry

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry's wife is going to inherit the team. My guess is she gives all power to run the team to Stephen. Stephen, while he does do interviews does not appear to be nearly as much into the cameras as Jerry. I think Stephen is already making most of the decisions day to day already, so I do not see much changing,.

There is no way this team doesnt stay in the family. This team is still the safest invesment of all that money. NFL franchises go up in value like nothing else. Any money they need comes from the piggy bank known as The Dallas Cowboys.
I am no lawyer, and Jerry's money and investments are very complicated. I dont know exactly how the will/trust can be written that ensures his wife gets everything and Stephen remains in control. How many kids does he have?

And I also felt the same watching that press conference. Time catches us all, and Jerry is 81 years old. I did not realize Jimmy Johnson was 80.... damn he looks good and speaks outstanding still.
I should have linked the YouTube in first post for those who never saw it. Glad to hear not the only one observing this.

offlimits

Reaction score
I think post Jerry the Cowboys will function very similar to how they are now. It has really felt like Stephen has been slowing more and more in control for the past decade or so.
Agree. Stephen will be the CEO and GM. Nothing will change with the current structure. This is the Jones family business and Stephen is not about to hire a GM. I have mentioned this several times on this forum. A Jones family member will be running this club for at least the next 50 years.

Sammy

Reaction score
Last I read, Jerry & his wife jointly own 51% of the team; their three children jointly own the remaining 49%. Obviously, there is some well thought-out estate planning in place to deal with eventualities.

As a practical matter, I see Stephen ultimately becoming the ownership "face" of the team - though not remotely as visible as his extroverted father. I mean, how many owners in the League regularly hold press conferences and appear on weekly radio shows?
Yep, just check out Charlotte's divorce in 2019 to get a glimpse. Apparently her net worth was 1.34 billion accrued in the 30 years of their marriage. I guess she earned/inherited most of it since there was a fight over how much he should get. He didn't want their agreement when they got married to be the rule.

I'm not a lawyer or a CPA but I assume in order to have a net worth that high, she is sharing Cowboys ownership with other family members?

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...tion/287-3d0ec556-b431-4ac8-a451-b081a7b87c10

CCBoy

Reaction score
Watching the FOX Pre-Game Show bit with Jimmy and Jerry yesterday really opened my eyes to how much age has caught up with both of them, but especially Jerry. Maybe it’s the calm fishing in the Florida Keys, but Jimmy appears to be aging better than Jerry. Jerry really is getting up there, and we all know he has enjoyed the good life at times, and is a workaholic. Not to be morbid, but you have to figure the end is near.

Not to turn this into an ‘I hate Jerry and good riddance’ thread but what are your thoughts on what the organization will be like without Jerry?

Here are my assumptions:

- Jerry has great lawyers and accountants that will figure out how to keep the franchise with his family like most owners have, although I think our franchise might be different in that it’s worth so much more than previous franchises. Probably last one to transfer to the son was the Raiders after Al Davis?
- Is Stephen Jones going to be the owner? Talk about a real-life HBO Succession. Wonder if the Jones Clan is fighting about that behind the scenes? One child gets the yacht, one gets the team, one gets the estate, LOL. Will Gene just get it all and it gets pushed off until her death? Jerry really is the godfather of all of that and will be interesting how he sets it up.
- Will Stephen carbon copy his father and be the owner/GM or will he opt for a less high profile GM position? I remember Bill Parcells talking highly about Stephen’s skill set so I can only assume the position of GM is his? Almost feel like Stephen has been the voice of reason at times that sells the other opinions to Jerry.
- Current coaches, scouts, Will McClay… do you think Stephen is onboard with all of them?
Jerry and his family always prepares for the future. That was a fact, even before he fired Jimmy. He may be a tough man, but he learned a very long time ago, there is NO right way to do the wrong thing. He and his family are ready to move on making right decisions...not a popularity contest. That comes with the territory and good fans.

And kids and those truly needing help will be the beneficiaries of their generosity.

Last edited: