Lincoln Riley takes USC job

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Good move for him and also for Oklahoma IMO. He had peaked over there and the rumor is that he didn't want to move to the SEC, which makes sense. Feasting on the normally bad Big 12 defenses was perfect for his OU offense. I don't think he would have done well in the SEC and he knows it.

OU can now target a coach that will better prepare them for the conference move...maybe Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

jcollins28

Reaction score
Well this isn’t what I wanted to see. Hopefully UCLA moves on from Chip and makes a quality hire. I don’t see it happening though….

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Just about every coach in the NFL has coached on the college level. It's a stepping stone.

Yes, but they have had experience as an assistant at the NFL level. Riley ain't even the best college coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma is a clear indication that he believes that Oklahoma cannot win at the highest levels of the SEC.

Put simply, I don't believe he makes this move if OU stays in the Big 12 . Talk about an ALL-TIME miscalculation by a school and program

terra

Reaction score
He will improve USC no doubt; but I do not see him winning a NC. He never really came close in 5 years at OK and its not like he took over a program that was in the toilet.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma is a clear indication that he believes that Oklahoma cannot win at the highest levels of the SEC.

Put simply, I don't believe he makes this move if OU stays in the Big 12 . Talk about an ALL-TIME miscalculation by a school and program

Is this not an indictment of his own skills as a coach? He's bringing in top tier recruiting classes every year, as OU has been doing more or less since the Bud Wilkinson days. He's had two Heisman winning quarterbacks and another finalist, as well as top tier skill position players and linemen that play in the league. This guy was given everything he needed and couldn't win a playoff game. This isn't a negative on OU as a program. It's a negative on the coach.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is this not an indictment of his own skills as a coach? He's bringing in top tier recruiting classes every year, as OU has been doing more or less since the Bud Wilkinson days. He's had two Heisman winning quarterbacks and another finalist, as well as top tier skill position players and linemen that play in the league. This guy was given everything he needed and couldn't win a playoff game. This isn't a negative on OU as a program. It's a negative on the coach.
I completely agree.

Riley had it made at OU. I don’t understand why he would leave.

He will never win a championship at USC.
At Oklahoma, at least he had a greater than 50% chance every year of making the playoffs. That won’t happen out west.