Lincoln Riley takes USC job

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Texas and OU in for a big surprise in SEC.

Horns already struggling in Big 12 and rest of conference is catching up with OU.

Just ask A&M and Arkansas how they are doing since moving. And ask Nebraska in Big 10.

I bet most of their alumni and fans would gladly give back some of that additional revenue for some conference championships and more opportunity for national championship.
A&M has made several appearances in the top 10 and has been pretty respectable since they left the Big 12. Missouri* was never a top program. Their move was strange at best. Neither of those programs are Oklahoma or Texas. There will be an adjustment period rebuilding to match an SEC schedule but both schools are recruiting giants, even while playing in an undesirable Big 12. Long-term I have no doubt they'll be fine.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A&M has made several appearances in the top 10 and has been pretty respectable since they left the Big 12. Missouri* was never a top program. Their move was strange at best. Neither of those programs are Oklahoma or Texas. There will be an adjustment period rebuilding to match an SEC schedule but both schools are recruiting giants, even while playing in an undesirable Big 12. Long-term I have no doubt they'll be fine.
What about Arkansas. And what happened to Nebraska moving to Big 10.

And Aggies had a better chance of winning Big 12 conference and making playoffs than they ever will in SEC. Unless you just enjoy the additional revenue and being a smaller fish in a bigger pond..

Texas is already struggling in Big 12 . And OU looks vulnerable now. I think it’s going to be a tougher adjustment than some want to think. We shall see.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
What about Arkansas. And what happened to Nebraska moving to Big 10.

And Aggies had a better chance of winning Big 12 conference and making playoffs than they ever will in SEC. Unless you just enjoy the additional revenue and being a smaller fish in a bigger pond..

Texas is already struggling in Big 12 . And OU looks vulnerable now. I think it’s going to be a tougher adjustment than some want to think. We shall see.

What about Arkansas? They left a now defunct SWC in 1991 and have had some solid seasons. Arkansas was never on the level of Oklahoma or Texas. Nebraska lost out on Texas recruiting when they moved to the Big 10. Literally everyone but Nebraska saw that coming. A problem neither Texas or Oklahoma will run into.

A&M was never a big fish. They had a run of decent years before the left the Big 12 but their success in the SEC is on par with what they were doing before the move.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What about Arkansas? They left a now defunct SWC in 1991 and have had some solid seasons. Arkansas was never on the level of Oklahoma or Texas. Nebraska lost out on Texas recruiting when they moved to the Big 10. Literally everyone but Nebraska saw that coming. A problem neither Texas or Oklahoma will run into.

A&M was never a big fish. They had a run of decent years before the left the Big 12 but their success in the SEC is on par with what they were doing before the move.
But the Hogs haven’t been a consistent threat to win their conference or a national champ contender .

And Nebraska could be a similar casualty to OU and Texas . Texas is already struggling .

Like I said we shall see. But I don’t think we’ll see either of them dominate as they have in Big 12 and be in the running for National Champ almost every year as OU has.

As always the proof will be in the pudding.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
But the Hogs haven’t been a consistent threat to win their conference or a national champ contender .

And Nebraska could be a similar casualty to OU and Texas . Texas is already struggling .

Like I said we shall see. But I don’t think we’ll see either of them dominate as they have in Big 12 and be in the running for National Champ almost every year as OU has.

As always the proof will be in the pudding.
I think we are seeing the same thing but looking at it from a different angle. I'm certainly not delusional expecting either team to come in and dominate as they have the Big 12. I'm not going to speak for Texas. They're going to do what they're going to do and politics with boosters is still going to be an issue.

With Oklahoma, you're right. They won't come in and win the SEC championship 75% of the time....but they will field better squads consistently. Winning all of those Big 12 championships and being in the natty race hasn't translated to a national championship in 20 years. By Oklahoma standards, that is a failure, regardless of regular season success. I'm fine with going up against Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, etc etc and fighting it out every year. Recruiting will improve, particularly on the defensive side because players want exposure. Playing for a premier program against premier competition will give them that exposure. Both programs have become stagnant outside of conference play because they know it doesn't take much to with the conference most years and it shows in the post season. Through the test of fire iron is forged. It'll be rough at first but long-term, this is the right move.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we are seeing the same thing but looking at it from a different angle. I'm certainly not delusional expecting either team to come in and dominate as they have the Big 12. I'm not going to speak for Texas. They're going to do what they're going to do and politics with boosters is still going to be an issue.

With Oklahoma, you're right. They won't come in and win the SEC championship 75% of the time....but they will field better squads consistently. Winning all of those Big 12 championships and being in the natty race hasn't translated to a national championship in 20 years. By Oklahoma standards, that is a failure, regardless of regular season success. I'm fine with going up against Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, etc etc and fighting it out every year. Recruiting will improve, particularly on the defensive side because players want exposure. Playing for a premier program against premier competition will give them that exposure. Both programs have become stagnant outside of conference play because they know it doesn't take much to with the conference most years and it shows in the post season. Through the test of fire iron is forged. It'll be rough at first but long-term, this is the right move.
Sooner fabs I know consider Stoops and Riley era as successful although it’s only yielded 1 National championship. I certainly haven’t heard anyone describe this as a failure.

It’s going to be much different with 4 of 5 more losable games a year than 1 or 2.

I’ve heard you’re argument before but I’m suspect even if they recruit a little better it will net the results consistently they are looking for against the stiffer competition.

If they be one just another Arkansas or A&M then that recruiting might not go as well . Again, we shall see but beyond the obvious gains in revenue and stability I think it’s a risk.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I think it’s fairly obvious he’s bailing cause he doesn’t want to contend in SEC. Don’t blame him. It’s called survival. How long will Sooner fans and boosters he happy with just another program in SEC?

OU and Tx are going to face the same issues Arkansas, A&M and even Nebraska did in Big 10. Fierce competition .

That may be part of it but I don't think he was looking to just leave to go anywhere. The USC job opening up (with a new administration that is willing to support the football program financially) is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That may be part of it but I don't think he was looking to just leave to go anywhere. The USC job opening up (with a new administration that is willing to support the football program financially) is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
It’s unusual for a HC to leave one top program for another unless there was some ill will or under lying conditions . But he was in good standing at OU. They appear stunned by him leaving.

I think it’s very clear why he’s leaving.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is this not an indictment of his own skills as a coach? He's bringing in top tier recruiting classes every year, as OU has been doing more or less since the Bud Wilkinson days. He's had two Heisman winning quarterbacks and another finalist, as well as top tier skill position players and linemen that play in the league. This guy was given everything he needed and couldn't win a playoff game. This isn't a negative on OU as a program. It's a negative on the coach.
So , you’re saying OU wasn’t happy with Riley and why he left?

rags

Reaction score
I completely agree.

Riley had it made at OU. I don’t understand why he would leave.

He will never win a championship at USC.
At Oklahoma, at least he had a greater than 50% chance every year of making the playoffs. That won’t happen out west.

I think he left OU because USC "showed him the money." A lot of pictures of dead presidents.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think he left OU because USC "showed him the money." A lot of pictures of dead presidents.
He was already one of the highest paid at 7 million. Money at that level or stage usually isn’t the only driving force.

OU officials say they were “ completely blindsided by Riley’s decision “.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Venables to be new Sooner HC
Those are just rumors at this stage . But his name is one circling near the top with his OU connection.

Apparently Kingsbury is their first choice but he’s already reportedly deflected those rumors.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Those are just rumors at this stage . But his name is one circling near the top with his OU connection.

Apparently Kingsbury is their first choice but he’s already reportedly deflected those rumors.

I heard it's a done deal by one of the loud mouths on the radio.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
So , you’re saying OU wasn’t happy with Riley and why he left?

Could have been. Would've been interesting to see what was going on behind closed doors. What I'm seeing in Norman (I work a couple of miles from campus), the fanbase isn't concerned. They're pissed off and anxious to see who is taking over next. Kind of a good riddance sort of vibe. Word on the street is the pick is Venables and it seems the vast majority of folks around here are all for it. Boy wonder's teams were soft. He had the cream of the crop in offensive recruits for several years but always struggled hard against tough, hard-nosed defenses. I'm not saying he won't succeed at USC but that style of play is not conducive to success in the SEC. I was salty yesterday but after giving it some more thought, this may be the best thing for the program.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could have been. Would've been interesting to see what was going on behind closed doors. What I'm seeing in Norman (I work a couple of miles from campus), the fanbase isn't concerned. They're pissed off and anxious to see who is taking over next. Kind of a good riddance sort of vibe. Word on the street is the pick is Venables and it seems the vast majority of folks around here are all for it. Boy wonder's teams were soft. He had the cream of the crop in offensive recruits for several years but always struggled hard against tough, hard-nosed defenses. I'm not saying he won't succeed at USC but that style of play is not conducive to success in the SEC. I was salty yesterday but after giving it some more thought, this may be the best thing for the program.
That hissy fit he threw on the sideline at the end of the Baylor game did not earn him any friends in Sooner Nation.

Even when OU had stellar offenses, they could depend on Switzer and Stoops having some D studs and OU played hard ball. That finesse stuff he's been playing would work better at USC than OU.

I did not think either OU or UT had the HC's to go into the SEC and I do not think everyone is unhappy to see Riley leave but if he takes Williams, there will be some hurt feelings. The fans had to yell at him to replace Rattler.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
That hissy fit he threw on the sideline at the end of the Baylor game did not earn him any friends in Sooner Nation.

Even when OU had stellar offenses, they could depend on Switzer and Stoops having some D studs and OU played hard ball. That finesse stuff he's been playing would work better at USC than OU.

I did not think either OU or UT had the HC's to go into the SEC and I do not think everyone is unhappy to see Riley leave but if he takes Williams, there will be some hurt feelings. The fans had to yell at him to replace Rattler.

According to reports, OU might not have a QB for their bowl game. Rattler and another have already decided to transfer. Another is leaning in that direction. If Williams follows Riley, they're in trouble.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OU officials including their AD has stated they were “ completely blindsided by Riley’s decision” .

That’s not spinning a positive twist