Lincoln Riley takes USC job

RonWashington

Reaction score
It’s funny in college football lately anyway the Oklahoma’s Notre Dames the Ohio States all charge into the playoffs just to get its doors blown off by an Alabama or a Clemson . USC let’s see if they can escape a season with 11 wins or so to face the big boys from down south . I guess this season the flavor of the month is the Cincinnati Bearcats wonder how that ends up

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s funny in college football lately anyway the Oklahoma’s Notre Dames the Ohio States all charge into the playoffs just to get its doors blown off by an Alabama or a Clemson . USC let’s see if they can escape a season with 11 wins or so to face the big boys from down south . I guess this season the flavor of the month is the Cincinnati Bearcats wonder how that ends up

They could beat Michigan. Even Alabama is not as strong. They won't be putting the usual 15 guys into the NFL next year. But, Cincy has little chance of scoring much on UGA's defense which is the best unit in college football.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is this not an indictment of his own skills as a coach? He's bringing in top tier recruiting classes every year, as OU has been doing more or less since the Bud Wilkinson days. He's had two Heisman winning quarterbacks and another finalist, as well as top tier skill position players and linemen that play in the league. This guy was given everything he needed and couldn't win a playoff game. This isn't a negative on OU as a program. It's a negative on the coach.
It’s not a negative on the program but a negative on the decision to move to SEC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I completely agree.

Riley had it made at OU. I don’t understand why he would leave.

He will never win a championship at USC.
At Oklahoma, at least he had a greater than 50% chance every year of making the playoffs. That won’t happen out west.
Apparently he like his chances better in PAC 12 than in the SEC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Riley recruits well in California. The top 3 QB’s in NCAA this year all from Calif. He just needs to keep them at home. He already has a couple recruits which could bolt with him.

PAC 12 won’t be as difficult to dominate like SEC will be. It will be similar to being in the Big 12. Brilliant move IMO. USC still one of the premier schools in the country with 11 National Championships.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Texas and OU in for a big surprise in SEC.

Horns already struggling in Big 12 and rest of conference is catching up with OU.

Just ask A&M and Arkansas how they are doing since moving. And ask Nebraska in Big 10.

I bet most of their alumni and fans would gladly give back some of that additional revenue for some conference championships and more opportunity for national championship.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow! Did anyone see that coming?
Yep, twice. Once when OU decided to move to the SEC and the second time was when that job opened up. Hell of a lot easier for him to recruit in the West and get 5 stars than going up against the SEC HC's like Saban and Smart. Probably get Williams to follow him to USC.

UT, A&M, Baylor, AR and LSU need to make hay while the sun shines on the Texas recruits. Would not surprise me for them to bring Stoops back.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i don't see kingsbury leaving.
as an ou fan...i think it'll be matt campbell,iowa st or luke fickell,cincinnati.
brent venebles,clemson dc will obviously come up as well.
but i'd love campbell or fickell at ou.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Yep, twice. Once when OU decided to move to the SEC and the second time was when that job opened up. Hell of a lot easier for him to recruit in the West and get 5 stars than going up against the SEC HC's like Saban and Smart. Probably get Williams to follow him to USC.

UT, A&M, Baylor, AR and LSU need to make hay while the sun shines on the Texas recruits. Would not surprise me for them to bring Stoops back.
i would love for bob to stay long past the bowl game...but folks around here that know him are saying no.
i'd love it tho.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I completely agree.

Riley had it made at OU. I don’t understand why he would leave.

He will never win a championship at USC.
At Oklahoma, at least he had a greater than 50% chance every year of making the playoffs. That won’t happen out west.
\

From what I gather ( tweets and comments from OU fans ), he dissagreed with OU move to the SEC.....why? I have no idea but if you believe OU fans, he's a coward.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if they go the route they have before of hiring up and coming asst's...jeff lebby ole miss oc.
fmr ou player whose career ended because of injury and remained as a student asst.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Stoops has already said he’s coming back until they name a new HC to stabilize the program .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
\

From what I gather ( tweets and comments from OU fans ), he dissagreed with OU move to the SEC.....why? I have no idea but if you believe OU fans, he's a coward.
I think it’s fairly obvious he’s bailing cause he doesn’t want to contend in SEC. Don’t blame him. It’s called survival. How long will Sooner fans and boosters he happy with just another program in SEC?

OU and Tx are going to face the same issues Arkansas, A&M and even Nebraska did in Big 10. Fierce competition .

joseephuss

Reaction score
He’ll have a better shot winning conferences in PAC 12 than SEC which will make him eligible for playoffs.

OU and Tex are in for a very humbling experience in SEC.

How many more humbling experiences does Texas need to go through? They are on their 3rd coach over the past 8 seasons. They have lost to Kansas. Twice. If they aren't humble right now, then that is part of their problem.

terra

Reaction score
Its a smart move for Riley; the PAC 12 is a kiddy league compared to the SEC. Having to deal with Alabama and Georgia each year? Sooner fans are gone to be as unhappy as Longhorn fans now