Lincoln Riley takes USC job

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
That hissy fit he threw on the sideline at the end of the Baylor game did not earn him any friends in Sooner Nation.

Even when OU had stellar offenses, they could depend on Switzer and Stoops having some D studs and OU played hard ball. That finesse stuff he's been playing would work better at USC than OU.

I did not think either OU or UT had the HC's to go into the SEC and I do not think everyone is unhappy to see Riley leave but if he takes Williams, there will be some hurt feelings. The fans had to yell at him to replace Rattler.
It's looking like Stoops spoke with Caleb and convinced him to stick around for the bowl game, to give him time to assess the situation after they hire a new coach. He still has a starting gig at a top tier school and that's nothing to turn your nose up to. He's smart enough to know that. If he were to leave, the obvious choice would be USC but he just watched their coach abandon his team last minute leaving him hanging. There no guarantee he wins the USC job either. From what I hear their QB room is full. The kid would be a LEGEND if he sticks around and helps right this ship. I imagine he is fully aware of this. It's looking like his choice is between an elite program with a new coach, or a complete rebuild at USC with a guy that just showed a major lack of integrity.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
That hissy fit he threw on the sideline at the end of the Baylor game did not earn him any friends in Sooner Nation.

Even when OU had stellar offenses, they could depend on Switzer and Stoops having some D studs and OU played hard ball. That finesse stuff he's been playing would work better at USC than OU.

I did not think either OU or UT had the HC's to go into the SEC and I do not think everyone is unhappy to see Riley leave but if he takes Williams, there will be some hurt feelings. The fans had to yell at him to replace Rattler.
Agreed on all fronts. Their defensive recruiting was good enough to play their part when needed. They never did. And I don't put that on the players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The reactions by school officials would lead us to believe they weren’t happy to see Riley go. But I’m sure the Homers will be spinning it differently. Like there was unrest in Sooner nation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue USC is a bigger program and deeper history than OU with 11 National Championships.

Perhaps Riley was just waiting for a move up . He has his choice wherever he wanted to go turning down LSU probably cause in SEC.

I’d say he caught OU completely by surprise as they reportedly have said and with Stoops stepping in an indicator they are trying to save face with heir label.

Looks like their move to SEC wasn’t in favor by their HC. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's looking like Stoops spoke with Caleb and convinced him to stick around for the bowl game, to give him time to assess the situation after they hire a new coach. He still has a starting gig at a top tier school and that's nothing to turn your nose up to. He's smart enough to know that. If he were to leave, the obvious choice would be USC but he just watched their coach abandon his team last minute leaving him hanging. There no guarantee he wins the USC job either. From what I hear their QB room is full. The kid would be a LEGEND if he sticks around and helps right this ship. I imagine he is fully aware of this. It's looking like his choice is between an elite program with a new coach, or a complete rebuild at USC with a guy that just showed a major lack of integrity.
A major lack of integrity? That sounds like sour grapes from a Sooner.

Maybe the rumors are correct citing school officials were blindsided by Riley’s decision meaning had no indication . And perhaps they miscalculated their move to SEC .

As always , the truth will come out eventually . This is as much a story as we could have imagined . Theres much more we don’t know yet . And I think why Stoops stepped in to provide some stability in the interm.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
The reactions by school officials would lead us to believe they weren’t happy to see Riley go. But I’m sure the Homers will be spinning it differently. Like there was unrest in Sooner nation.

Funny how the Sooner homers on the radio went from saying there's no way he leaves to he didn't get along with the AD and Boren. They're now also are convinced he decided to leave during the bye.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Any chance that Bob Stoops remains as the permanent HC? He's only 61 and 9 years younger than Nick Saban.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
A major lack of integrity? That sounds like sour grapes from a Sooner.

Maybe the rumors are correct citing school officials were blindsided by Riley’s decision meaning had no indication . And perhaps they miscalculated their move to SEC .

As always , the truth will come out eventually . This is as much a story as we could have imagined . Theres much more we don’t know yet . And I think why Stoops stepped in to provide some stability in the interm.

Dude, the previous night he told the world he was committed to OU. Yes, he lied to the world including his players, his recruits, his coaches, everyone. Major lack of integrity isn't sour grapes, it's reality based off a man's actions. This puts him on par with Urban Meyer but without the skins on wall. Care to watch Oklahoma game film after their bye week this year? His demeanor on the sideline was atrocious. His underhanded treatment towards Caleb Williams was terrible. He looked like he didn't want to be there. If that's the case, why not resign and give the program more than 3 weeks to close out recruiting before early NSD? Now they're left with an un-retired coach, but to be fair, a legend, trying to salvage an ugly situation. Moves like this could cripple a lesser school in modern college athletics.

Yes there is more to the story that's been let on. All of the information that I'm getting to form my opinions are from former players, current players, coaches, local media outlets...I can basically walk to the stadium from work. We sponsor OU athletics. I was 2 feet away from Bob Stoops just two weeks ago! I was salty yesterday. Today I'm angry. The more that comes out about this story, the worse it gets. The only good thing about is it happened now and gave the program time to reboot before the SEC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dude, the previous night he told the world he was committed to OU. Yes, he lied to the world including his players, his recruits, his coaches, everyone. Major lack of integrity isn't sour grapes, it's reality based off a man's actions. This puts him on par with Urban Meyer but without the skins on wall. Care to watch Oklahoma game film after their bye week this year? His demeanor on the sideline was atrocious. His underhanded treatment towards Caleb Williams was terrible. He looked like he didn't want to be there. If that's the case, why not resign and give the program more than 3 weeks to close out recruiting before early NSD? Now they're left with an un-retired coach, but to be fair, a legend, trying to salvage an ugly situation. Moves like this could cripple a lesser school in modern college athletics.

Yes there is more to the story that's been let on. All of the information that I'm getting to form my opinions are from former players, current players, coaches, local media outlets...I can basically walk to the stadium from work. We sponsor OU athletics. I was 2 feet away from Bob Stoops just two weeks ago! I was salty yesterday. Today I'm angry. The more that comes out about this story, the worse it gets. The only good thing about is it happened now and gave the program time to reboot before the SEC.
I appreciate your honesty and it supports my thoughts . Thanks

cowboyec

Reaction score
Any chance that Bob Stoops remains as the permanent HC? He's only 61 and 9 years younger than Nick Saban.
i'd love to see it but i dont think it happens.
i think it'll be matt campbell or luke fickell.
brent venebles will be in the running.
as a fan,i'm hoping for campbell.
anyone that can take iowa st to the fiesta bowl...and win...can run my program any day.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What integrity is there is college football? The 4 and 5 stars are in it for themselves to get to the NFL and coaches are not what they used to be to the programs and they know it. They go where they can make the most money and try and get a bird's nest on the ground with perpetual recruiting like Swinney, Smart and Saban have and Kelly had at ND.

Kelly and Riley were 2 top 10 coaches and they both just walked out taking care of #1 but I do not blame them, that's the system and if Harbaugh hadn't saved his butt by beating OSU, he'd be doing the same thing. Watch Meyer, he'll do it too. He's not built for the NFL.

Football coaching has become "what have you done for us lately" and Riley was smart to go to USC. Think the expectations with the Board at OU are going to change going into the SEC? And the HC at UT better be wearing armor with the knives headed for his back.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
What integrity is there is college football? The 4 and 5 stars are in it for themselves to get to the NFL and coaches are not what they used to be to the programs and they know it. They go where they can make the most money and try and get a bird's nest on the ground with perpetual recruiting like Swinney, Smart and Saban have and Kelly had at ND.

Kelly and Riley were 2 top 10 coaches and they both just walked out taking care of #1 but I do not blame them, that's the system and if Harbaugh hadn't saved his butt by beating OSU, he'd be doing the same thing. Watch Meyer, he'll do it too. He's not built for the NFL.

Football coaching has become "what have you done for us lately" and Riley was smart to go to USC. Think the expectations with the Board at OU are going to change going into the SEC? And the HC at UT better be wearing armor with the knives headed for his back.
That's an eloquent way of putting it and I hadn't looked at it from that angle. I guess it's hard to comprehend being a sooners fan since I was a kid and not really comprehending the years before Bob Stoops. Coach was there for 18 years and remained part of the program after retirement. Coach Riley was the second coach at OU I really followed so it was strange how someone could walk away from one of the most sought after jobs in the country and into a mess.

I guess I can understand it but walking away so abruptly rubbed me the wrong way. Same with some of the coaches. Demarco Murray reportedly ripped into him in front of everyone. Idk I think we're just a different breed here. Oklahoma football integrates greatly into our community. It's a family atmosphere and many of the coaches in place have been so for many years. Many former players have come back to jump start their own careers.. Some could consider it nepotism but it works and has so for a really long time. Bob Stoops said that no Coach is above the program because the program is time tested and strong as a rock. The last guy tried to put himself above the program (not my words, local sports analysts) and gutted it on his way out. It's a temporary setback for the program but it was a gutless move by the coach. He didn't think he was up to the challenge so he jumped ship to a weak conference. I'm not sure I've ever seen that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's an eloquent way of putting it and I hadn't looked at it from that angle. I guess it's hard to comprehend being a sooners fan since I was a kid and not really comprehending the years before Bob Stoops. Coach was there for 18 years and remained part of the program after retirement. Coach Riley was the second coach at OU I really followed so it was strange how someone could walk away from one of the most sought after jobs in the country and into a mess.

I guess I can understand it but walking away so abruptly rubbed me the wrong way. Same with some of the coaches. Demarco Murray reportedly ripped into him in front of everyone. Idk I think we're just a different breed here. Oklahoma football integrates greatly into our community. It's a family atmosphere and many of the coaches in place have been so for many years. Many former players have come back to jump start their own careers.. Some could consider it nepotism but it works and has so for a really long time. Bob Stoops said that no Coach is above the program because the program is time tested and strong as a rock. The last guy tried to put himself above the program (not my words, local sports analysts) and gutted it on his way out. It's a temporary setback for the program but it was a gutless move by the coach. He didn't think he was up to the challenge so he jumped ship to a weak conference. I'm not sure I've ever seen that.

B/c college football is all about recruiting, you have to do it abruptly and quickly or you give yourself no chance to improve the talent base at the new school. All the kids that signed with OU b/c they wanted to play for Lincoln Riley can now go sign with USC. Having a great coach at USC with a proven record of developing NFL players will have a huge impact on recruiting in California. Chances are that a lot of guys who were going to schools like Oregon or heading out of state to ND and Bama may now decide to play closer to home.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
i'd love to see it but i dont think it happens.
i think it'll be matt campbell or luke fickell.
brent venebles will be in the running.
as a fan,i'm hoping for campbell.
anyone that can take iowa st to the fiesta bowl...and win...can run my program any day.

Jason Garrett is out there.

cowboyec

Reaction score
B/c college football is all about recruiting, you have to do it abruptly and quickly or you give yourself no chance to improve the talent base at the new school. All the kids that signed with OU b/c they wanted to play for Lincoln Riley can now go sign with USC. Having a great coach at USC with a proven record of developing NFL players will have a huge impact on recruiting in California. Chances are that a lot of guys who were going to schools like Oregon or heading out of state to ND and Bama may now decide to play closer to home.
recruiting is the lifeblood.

cowboyec

Reaction score
with freeman likely the choice at notre dame...ou has their choice of campbell or fickell...if'n they want to.
i'd love either...campbell still my #1.
but it ain't my call.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think he seized the opportunity at what he considers a better upside for him. USC has a better record in the national arena and if he can resurrect that to a powerhouse, he is golden for years.

Riley stepped into a great situation that Stoops built and took advantage of the transfer portal and he knew what type of conference the Big 12 was, the spread was born there because of the lack of good OL.

Relocating to the west will allow for him to recruit defense better and he can still pick the cream of the QB crop, if Williams doesn't decide to join him.

Riley's no dummy, he knows very well the challenge of recruiting 4 and 5 star D players against AL, AU, GA, LSU and now even AR and A&M are getting better D recruits.

Riley is a Lubbock boy and has been around TX and OK for his entire life, time to experience something new in LA and experience the SoCal lifestyle for a change, I don't blame him. He kinda looks like a surfer.

In the integrity game, TCU and LSU fired their coaches mid season and TCU had the gall to ask Patterson to stay on and he told them to stick it. They were nothing before he got there. FL fires Dan Mullen like the next guy is going to recruit any better up against Clemson and UGA.

UT hires Charlie Strong and Red McCombs openly opposes him and works behind the scenes to get rid of him. They hire his boy from Houston and that doesn't go so well. Any man that takes that UT job better have some antivenom with him because UT is a nest of rattlers. And they will bite Sark in the neck soon. I don't care what they say to the media, their mouths are moving, they're lying.

I think every new HC looks at the package and assumes he will get fired. What's the walk away money? They can always get another coaching job. Hell, Bobby Petrino has a motorcycle wreck with the volleyball honey he's sleeping with and gets fired and end up with another job. The same Petrino that told Arthur Blank on Sunday he was staying on, coaches Monday night and is calling the Hogs in Fayetteville on Wednesday.

All of football is business. These players aren't kids and they all have the option of moving on if they don't like the new guy. Coaching is not even a shadow of what it used to be because it's all about the money for the schools. Saban is untouchable because he wins but if that stops? Same for Swinney.