Lincoln Riley takes USC job

ghst187

Reaction score
Not only did he yank the rug out by unexpectedly bolting with no notice but he’s also taking all his recruits with him…omg OU will be fighting it out with Texas to see who’s not the worst team in the SEC

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not only did he yank the rug out by unexpectedly bolting with no notice but he’s also taking all his recruits with him…omg OU will be fighting it out with Texas to see who’s not the worst team in the SEC
OU needs to hire Stoops back to help with the recruiting and transition and they can forgive him for the Mixon situation because he's not been a problem since that altercation.

Stoops has credibility that would aid in immediate recruiting and stopping the bleeding and he might save some of Riley's recruits. Stoops was liked almost as much as Switzer by Sooner Nation and this move might prove to be a popular one.

ghst187

Reaction score
OU needs to hire Stoops back to help with the recruiting and transition and they can forgive him for the Mixon situation because he's not been a problem since that altercation.

Stoops has credibility that would aid in immediate recruiting and stopping the bleeding and he might save some of Riley's recruits. Stoops was liked almost as much as Switzer by Sooner Nation and this move might prove to be a popular one.

That’s all very true…I’ll honestly be surprised if they don’t just make it permanent. I’m not sure a lot of other big names will be overly interested as now OU has to recruit against LSU, Alabama, and Florida. Stoops makes the most sense on many levels. That said, I still don’t think they will be very competitive in the SEC.

cowboyec

Reaction score
That’s all very true…I’ll honestly be surprised if they don’t just make it permanent. I’m not sure a lot of other big names will be overly interested as now OU has to recruit against LSU, Alabama, and Florida. Stoops makes the most sense on many levels. That said, I still don’t think they will be very competitive in the SEC.
thats why i hope they hire matt campbell.
anyone who could take iowa st to a new years day bowl game and beat oregon can run my program any day.
he would relish the fight...unless he is completely in love with ames,iowa.

RaZon

Reaction score
The west cost needs USC, tired of the disrespect.

cowboyec

Reaction score
The west cost needs USC, tired of the disrespect.
as a sooner fan,i have no hard feelings about lincoln.
wish he had stayed.
but can't fault him.
path of least resistence....challenge of a rebuild....and money.
big money.
he'll do a helluva job there and awaken that lion....thats been resting among jackals.

for my sooners...the buzz is georgia dc lanning.
im still hoping its matt campbell or luke fickell.
reports of our impending demise has been greatly exaggerated.

RaZon

Reaction score
as a sooner fan,i have no hard feelings about lincoln.
wish he had stayed.
but can't fault him.
path of least resistence....challenge of a rebuild....and money.
big money.
he'll do a helluva job there and awaken that lion....thats been resting among jackals.

for my sooners...the buzz is georgia dc lanning.
im still hoping its matt campbell or luke fickell.
reports of our impending demise has been greatly exaggerated.

You're not pissed he's bringing all those recruits with him?

cowboyec

Reaction score
You're not pissed he's bringing all those recruits with him?
i'm not happy about it.
but it's expected.
if you didn't think he would do that,you're crazy.
go hire matt campbell or luke fickell and do something about it.
but i'm to old and the football season is too short the off season is to long to be pissed about a coach leaving.
opportunity for ou to go get a helluva coach and be OKLAHOMA.

i only get THAT emotional about our ☆ Cowboys.

cowboyec

Reaction score
there is a report that ou asst coaches had a met with joe c and told who would be retained and who wouldn't.
if true,sounds like they have their guy.
fickell or georgia dc dan lanning.
lotta heat right now around lanning.
would continue joe c's trend of hiring young coord into the hc role.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had better D players than Riley ever did and that's a leg up playing with the likes of AL, AU and LSU in the West.

If I am the AD, I think about who best to recruit in Texas because they have to have that if they have a chance because OSU out recruits them within the state.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma is a clear indication that he believes that Oklahoma cannot win at the highest levels of the SEC.

Put simply, I don't believe he makes this move if OU stays in the Big 12 . Talk about an ALL-TIME miscalculation by a school and program

You realize college athletics is just a business, right? Oklahoma or Texas doesn't care if they don't win in the SEC. It gets them more exposure, more revenue and that is all that matters to them. OU would make this move every time. They will be fine. It's not like they will have a hard time replacing Lincoln. They have a strong program and can replace him with ease. Just like they did Stoops and did not miss a step.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You realize college athletics is just a business, right? Oklahoma or Texas doesn't care if they don't win in the SEC. It gets them more exposure, more revenue and that is all that matters to them. OU would make this move every time. They will be fine. It's not like they will have a hard time replacing Lincoln. They have a strong program and can replace him with ease. Just like they did Stoops and did not miss a step.
Right, but their boosters, alumni and fans will care if they don’t win.

ghst187

Reaction score
All I see is Nebraska joining the big 10 and Texas A&M joining the SEC,….both power programs now relegated to the bottom

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All I see is Nebraska joining the big 10 and Texas A&M joining the SEC,….both power programs now relegated to the bottom
Yea on Nebraska except Aggies weren’t a power program. Arkansas would probably be a better comparison,

cowboyec

Reaction score
looks like ou's new hc is its fmr co-def coord under coach bob stoops...brent venables.
reports indicate ole miss oc jeff lebby is his first choice to be his off coord in norman.
smart.
hope it happens.

cowboyec

Reaction score
priority #1 for coach venables and his staff...keep qb caleb williams in norman.

Iago33

Reaction score
Yea on Nebraska except Aggies weren’t a power program. Arkansas would probably be a better comparison,
When was Arkansas a top tier program. They had a few competitive years in the old SWC but I don’t remember them ever being ranked higher than this year. Of course, I’m only 50.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When was Arkansas a top tier program. They had a few competitive years in the old SWC but I don’t remember them ever being ranked higher than this year. Of course, I’m only 50.
Arkansas was usually Texas top competitor in SWC. And only other team besides Texas in modern era to win a National Championship in SWC.

They won National championship in 1964 and of course were ranked #2 in what was considered the “ Game of the Century” in 1969 when they met #1 Texas. But they were traditionally a top team in SWC and ranked nationally.

HC Frank Broyles led Arkansas to national prominence during his era from 1950’s- 1970’s and then Lou Holtz following.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks_football

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he seized the opportunity at what he considers a better upside for him. USC has a better record in the national arena and if he can resurrect that to a powerhouse, he is golden for years.

Riley stepped into a great situation that Stoops built and took advantage of the transfer portal and he knew what type of conference the Big 12 was, the spread was born there because of the lack of good OL.

Relocating to the west will allow for him to recruit defense better and he can still pick the cream of the QB crop, if Williams doesn't decide to join him.

Riley's no dummy, he knows very well the challenge of recruiting 4 and 5 star D players against AL, AU, GA, LSU and now even AR and A&M are getting better D recruits.

Riley is a Lubbock boy and has been around TX and OK for his entire life, time to experience something new in LA and experience the SoCal lifestyle for a change, I don't blame him. He kinda looks like a surfer.

In the integrity game, TCU and LSU fired their coaches mid season and TCU had the gall to ask Patterson to stay on and he told them to stick it. They were nothing before he got there. FL fires Dan Mullen like the next guy is going to recruit any better up against Clemson and UGA.

UT hires Charlie Strong and Red McCombs openly opposes him and works behind the scenes to get rid of him. They hire his boy from Houston and that doesn't go so well. Any man that takes that UT job better have some antivenom with him because UT is a nest of rattlers. And they will bite Sark in the neck soon. I don't care what they say to the media, their mouths are moving, they're lying.

I think every new HC looks at the package and assumes he will get fired. What's the walk away money? They can always get another coaching job. Hell, Bobby Petrino has a motorcycle wreck with the volleyball honey he's sleeping with and gets fired and end up with another job. The same Petrino that told Arthur Blank on Sunday he was staying on, coaches Monday night and is calling the Hogs in Fayetteville on Wednesday.

All of football is business. These players aren't kids and they all have the option of moving on if they don't like the new guy. Coaching is not even a shadow of what it used to be because it's all about the money for the schools. Saban is untouchable because he wins but if that stops? Same for Swinney.

Has Texas seen a dive in money since they have become mediocre? For the schools, its about winning. If you don't win, people get fired. For coaches, its about money and moving up the food chain. I think Lincoln Riley looked at his future SEC schedule and made a business decision to leave. He can dominate the pac 10 and have them in the national playoff hunt every year. He didn't want to have to go through Alabama, LSU, Auburn and A&M every year to get to a playoff. His prospects of winning and therefore his future earnings are better at USC. The next OU coach is getting into a much tougher situation.

Last edited: