Lions are signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension ($170 million guaranteed)

coult44

Reaction score
Honestly the NFL should have never fostered an environment where QB’s are so overvalued. And if it’s going to keep on this way, they need to adjust the cap to compensate.
Why do you think they raised the cap so much? It’s the only reason.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
yeah, no one would care though if it didn't impact the cap. pay them a billion dollars, just leave the rest of the pie for the other 52 lol
Thats very true.. I don't think anyone actually cares about Jerry's money.. it's all about the cap.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm saying that he wasn't handed an offensive line with three 1st team All-Pros in Detroit. He didn't have the league's leading rusher standing behind him. He didn't start out in Detroit with a future HOF TE and Pro Bowl WR.

As a rookie with the Rams, they put him in after the team had already started out 4-5. His defense allowed over 30 points in the first four games he started. Gurley averaged 3.2 yards a carry for the 7 games Goff started.

Three years after joining the Rams, they are in the Super Bowl. Three years after joining the Lions, of all teams, they are in the NFC championship game. Look at where he started in both cases. Look where he ended up. Coincidence?
yeah, coincidence. you neglect to mention the rams getting sean mckay, and gurley being the best all purpose back in the league at the time. and the lions have arguably the best line in football and four first round picks the past two years. he’s played his part, as he should with his pedigree but he’s not the engine and has t been since mcvay couldn’t give him play calls in his helmet

Proof

Reaction score
yeah, coincidence. you neglect to mention the rams getting sean mckay, and gurley being the best all purpose back in the league at the time. and the lions have arguably the best line in football and four first round picks the past two years. he’s played his part, as he should with his pedigree but he’s not the engine and has t been since mcvay couldn’t give him play calls in his helmet
time expired while editing. updated my thoughts

daks played less games but has better career numbers. (playoffs notwithstanding of course which isn’t trivial)

the rams made aggressive trades and FA acquisitions and the lions had high end draft capital. i’m just not buying it

Adreme

Reaction score
I think his point was, you don't need to pay 60M a year to not have any chance at winning a SB. You can do that with any QB. What are the Cowboys paying for? An extra 2 wins a year?
To have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Something not happening does not mean it could not happen. There was not only 1 team with a chance to win a Super Bowl. If you are a healthy 12 win team you have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Do you need the defense not to be historically bad? Yes. Would it help to have Dak be the only one of the 12 QBs who made the playoffs to not have a bad half (read: they all did and I can demonstrate this if you doubt it)? Sure but unlikely. At the end of the day winning a Super Bowl is a combination of having a good team, staying healthy, and getting a little lucky. If you give up on the first 2 though you will never have a chance for the 3rd to happen.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Goff has ended up being the best QB from the 2016 class.

5-4 in the playoffs. More wins than those bums Dak and Romo combined.

8 TDs to 2 INTS in the his playoff career.

A Super Bowl appearance and leading the Lions, yes the Lions, to the NFC Championship game.

If any team pays Dak more than what Goff is being paid then they will deserve the failure that Dak brings them.
Goff is better than Dak. Not only in playoff wins but also in production. He makes everyone around him better. Notice that he was still as productive as he was when he was with the Rams. In fact, I think he's even better with the Lion than his prior team.

Dak isn't bad. But he certainly isn't worth 60 million.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I would have thought the post saying for Goff’s career he has 8 tds in 9 playoff games would make it clear he isn’t the engine lol

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So rebuilding. You think Jerry wants to rebuild?
He wouldnt need to 'rebuild'. If he took the lesser/rookie QB route, then he maintains the team and improves protection and weapons for the new QB. Indeed, he may not even need to seriously improve the run defense.....as the new QB may not have the 'composure issue with the clock running down'.

It's not as if Dak's got a USP that can't be replaced. Indeed where would Dak be today, if he came into the NFL with the present day Giants O-Line?

But yeah, Jerry's not going to move on from Dak, the two were made for each other.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I think his point was, you don't need to pay 60M a year to not have any chance at winning a SB. You can do that with any QB. What are the Cowboys paying for? An extra 2 wins a year?
Exactly. If the objective is to actually win a SB, then Dak isn't that guy at least not in a scenario where a 1/4 of the cap space is taken up by him. He isn't the type of QB who can be relied on to make the plays in a tough environment and that's okay provided that you have what is needed around him. Sort of like riding a bike with training wheels, Dak's the QB that needs training wheels and a lot of it on both sides of the football.

Flamma

Reaction score
To have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Something not happening does not mean it could not happen. There was not only 1 team with a chance to win a Super Bowl. If you are a healthy 12 win team you have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Do you need the defense not to be historically bad? Yes. Would it help to have Dak be the only one of the 12 QBs who made the playoffs to not have a bad half (read: they all did and I can demonstrate this if you doubt it)? Sure but unlikely. At the end of the day winning a Super Bowl is a combination of having a good team, staying healthy, and getting a little lucky. If you give up on the first 2 though you will never have a chance for the 3rd to happen.
Every team that wins 12 games doesn't have an equal shot at getting to the SB. You can kind of spot the one's that aren't getting there. Similar to that 13 win Vikings team a few years ago. Over the last 30 years I thought the Cowboys had a shot in a few of those years. But the last 3 years wasn't one of them.

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly. If the objective is to actually win a SB, then Dak isn't that guy at least not in a scenario where a 1/4 of the cap space is taken up by him. He isn't the type of QB who can be relied on to make the plays in a tough environment and that's okay provided that you have what is needed around him. Sort of like riding a bike with training wheels, Dak's the QB that needs training wheels and a lot of it on both sides of the football.
Yeah, with Dak taking up over 20% of the cap, it's not even a possibility. I'm pretty sure the only QB to do it with over a 15% cap hit was Mahomes. The Packers couldn't field a team to win a SB with Aaron Rodgers, Dak isn't going to do it at a higher cap hit.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Every team that wins 12 games doesn't have an equal shot at getting to the SB. You can kind of spot the one's that aren't getting there. Similar to that 13 win Vikings team a few years ago. Over the last 30 years I thought the Cowboys had a shot in a few of those years. But the last 3 years wasn't one of them.
Your are on an Island. Dallas had the talent to get atleast to the NFC championship game last year. Very rarely have I seen that in the last 25 years. That was the best shot I have seen since 2007. 12-5 was no fluke.