Lions are signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension ($170 million guaranteed)

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Actually, $53 million a year isn't crazy when you look at what top QBs are getting nowadays. Owners see it as a good investment because a solid QB boosts ticket sales, merchandise, and the team's value. Goff's proven he can lead a team to the playoffs, so he's worth it.
And his teammates like him ....

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't understand the folks acting like this is outrageous or unexpected. Strange how so often we hear how the next guy up is going to get the bag regardless of his success. Now we have a guy with some conference championship games & SB under his belt signing a very lucrative but not earth shattering deal & folks are acting like it's a shock.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't understand the folks acting like this is outrageous or unexpected. Strange how so often we hear how the next guy up is going to get the bag regardless of his success. Now we have a guy with some conference championship games & SB under his belt signing a very lucrative but not earth shattering deal & folks are acting like it's a shock.
It is outrageous because he cant have a 60 million impact on a team. It is just stupidity. To pay a QB that much he has to be able to perform with limited weapons because that is what his cap charge will untimately cause- Only one QB in the NFL can do that - everybody else is just playing make-believe!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is personal denial from seeing ever-escalating contract deals presenting an opportunity for an 'undeserving' player landing a deal equal to or greater than the contract given to a more 'deserving' player. Some observers have been caught within the denial of what is totally outside any outsider's control going back to examples like Joe Namath's $400,000+ contract with the New York Jets nearly 60 years ago.

Some folks, like myself, were screaming about the potential of contracts exploding in 1994 with the adoption of the current form of the owners/union collective bargaining agreement. Numerous observers were elated the agreement would enforce parity leaguewide. I am certain some of those happy individuals are not as content about skyrocketing contracts that were entirely expected decades ago.

The humongous contract genie was released from of its bottle a long time ago. The only way contracts will return to any conformity is for the owners and union to re-examine their agreement and make modifications. They could start by considering isolating quarterback only compensation. Nothing like that has happened in thirty years. I doubt it will ever happen.

Meanwhile, what if scenarios like Jerry Jones offering Dak Prescott a contract unwanted by outsiders of their negotiations will remain probable outcomes if-and-until Prescott is no longer on the roster. Jones could end the speculation by either hashing out a new deal or cutting Prescott. He has not taken either action yet. Gnashing of teeth, over what some cannot imagine might happen, but has and could still happen, shall continue until a final resolution has been reached.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I'm saying that he wasn't handed an offensive line with three 1st team All-Pros in Detroit. He didn't have the league's leading rusher standing behind him. He didn't start out in Detroit with a future HOF TE and Pro Bowl WR.

As a rookie with the Rams, they put him in after the team had already started out 4-5. His defense allowed over 30 points in the first four games he started. Gurley averaged 3.2 yards a carry for the 7 games Goff started.

Three years after joining the Rams, they are in the Super Bowl. Three years after joining the Lions, of all teams, they are in the NFC championship game. Look at where he started in both cases. Look where he ended up. Coincidence?
It's not a coincidence, but there were other circumstances that helped both teams.

In LA, the key difference was Sean McVay. McVay has had that team competitive every year except for injury plagued seasons since taking over, with and without Goff.

And the Lions rebuilt with Dan Campbell. In addition to Goff, they also got Gibbs and LaPorta in that Stafford trade.

Goff is a competent QB with a very clear ceiling, similar to Dak. I like the guy, but he's not turning franchises into winners. Not on his own.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
I've watched him since 2018. Put pressure on him, or stop their run, and he sucks. Look at the game against Chicago in 2018. Goff has never impressed me. He looked like crap against us last year too. We usually suck against good teams. Not Detroit. He's a slightly above average QB that had his coach calling him out a few years ago. He was treading water until last year. The only difference between Dak and Goff is that Dak steps down in the playoffs, never steps it up. Goff can step it up until the pressure is on, then spits the bit.

Dak sucks without any pressure and with Prime Zeke , your point ?

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Still boggles the mind that the Dallas QB repeatedly shown that he will never take this team any further in playoffs and fans still wanna throw money at this guy. Seriously what are you looking at? Go back and watch some of his stinkers from just the past season and give a logical and rational reason to resign this guy. Don't give me useless empty stats or MVP votes. He was definitely on of the Packers MVPs in January. I also don't want hear fear of the unknown. After 8 years the known is division round ceiling. As a fan you should want better than that.
what exactly do you think starting QB's get?
And you can go follow Dak to Charlotte , ALOHA !!
please tell us who is a realistic replacement for Dak. You're not getting Mahomes...keep that in mind dummy

RS12

Reaction score
what exactly do you think starting QB's get?

please tell us who is a realistic replacement for Dak. You're not getting Mahomes...keep that in mind dummy
I stand by what I said. Giving 25% of the cap to QB who disappears when the lights get bright is a fools errand. He has proven over 8 years, he ain't it. Time to try something different. Let me refresh your memory. Last time the lights were bright in the first half of the game 87 yards passing, 2 picks, one sure pick dropped in the end zone. But hey if you like pain so much go back and re watch the 49er game, the Cardinal game, the Bills game and ask yourself what do I see in this guy? Then go back and watch the 49er playoff game from the 22 season. The team needs to move on.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It is outrageous because he cant have a 60 million impact on a team. It is just stupidity. To pay a QB that much he has to be able to perform with limited weapons because that is what his cap charge will untimately cause- Only one QB in the NFL can do that - everybody else is just playing make-believe!
Not that I even disagree with some of your comments in a way but he deserves it as much as any of the others and they all got theirs.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
one other thought, he can have a 60 million impact on his team. simply because its a revenue sharing league. the league is making money hand over fist and QB's are going to get their % of that pie first.

whether they ultimately win a championship is an entirely different story.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I stand by what I said. Giving 25% of the cap to QB who disappears when the lights get bright is a fools errand. He has proven over 8 years, he ain't it. Time to try something different. Let me refresh your memory. Last time the lights were bright in the first half of the game 87 yards passing, 2 picks, one sure pick dropped in the end zone. But hey if you like pain so much go back and re watch the 49er game, the Cardinal game, the Bills game and ask yourself what do I see in this guy? Then go back and watch the 49er playoff game from the 22 season. The team needs to move on.
so your plan is to get rid of Dak and sign a Daniel Jones type...ok. Great plan. Jesus you guys are dumb

RS12

Reaction score
so your plan is to get rid of Dak and sign a Daniel Jones type...ok. Great plan. Jesus you guys are dumb
Here is a hint for you on what is really dumb.....throwing good money after bad on a QB that cant advance your team in the playoffs. That is the reason they play. You apparently wouldn't know what good QB play looked like if you tripped over it. But hey go back and watch what I suggested and then tell me they should throw money at him. Do you want to win or do you just want to watch football? Don't bother. I already know the answer.