Lions are signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension ($170 million guaranteed)

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Paying Goff kind of makes sense. The Lions could hang a banner in their stadium for the season they had last year. Plus I guess Brady already turned them down.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Pretty sure when the NFL GMs come out in the spring with their list of top QBs Dak is going to be above Goff. Dak is almost certainly going to be in that 5-8 range with Goff being in that 12-16 range. The reason being Goff can look solid as long as no pressure is under him whatsoever but under pressure he is the worst QB in the NFL and that is not even hyperbolic as the numbers back that up. Fortunately Lions have a top 3 OLine so that should play to his strengths.
The only people who would believe that are people who believe that playoffs don't matter.

Redline360

Reaction score
Interesting career so far. At one point Dak looked liked the best quarterback from his class and I would have agreed at one point however Goff imo better of the two now

1 conference games and a superbowl appearance then shipped out of LA as they knew Stafford was an upgrade once he got stale. Goes to the lions and puts together the team taking the trash lions to 9-8 and 12-5 seasons and brings them to the conference game last year. Looked good in the playoffs too

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes zero super bowl wins. But he's had much more success in the playoffs then dak.
His teams have won in spite of him. I like Goff. I think he's a top 10 guy in the league but giving him credit for that Super Bowl run is insane to anyone who actually watched those games. He was playing some poor football which is why they traded for Stafford. Lions would've never gave him up if he was playing at a higher level.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Crazy money… greed is ruining this sport.

You can’t effectively field a team with the cap where it’s at and star players (agents) demanding to reset the market with every deal.

I am all for the owners sharing more of the pie with the players. I just think this system is fundamentally flawed in it’s current form.

Consider:

Troy Aikman’s highest cap charge was 16 million in 1999 (base of 6.667 million). He made a TOTAL of 55 million as a Cowboy (10 million of which was dead money) in 12 seasons

Now— in 1/3 the time (4 seasons), Jared Goff is GUARANTEED to make 3 X what Aikaman earned OVER HIS ENTIRE HOF CAREER.

That is not “inflation”. That is insanity.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
That signing pushes Dak out of the top 10 average paid per year NFL quarterbacks. Which will probably push his/his agent's demands for a new contract even higher.

Will be very interesting to see what happens....
Honestly I don't think Steven or Jerry really care at this point. I don't think it's going to have any effect on whats happening with dak. I think the cowboys have their number and that's what it's going to be.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak beat nobody last year and 2 seasons ago the only guy he beat was Baker Mayfield. Think your confusing players ? (the only time Goff has played Dak in the playoffs was the 2018 season and Dallas lost the game)
He probably meant in the regular season matchup. But you're confusing players too. When did Dak compete against Baker Mayfield two years ago?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
If a deal with Dak doesn’t get done by TC and the season is just ok, I don’t think he’s back not at 55-60 a year that he’s going to demand with his lack of Postseason success. I just don’t see them valuing him at that dollar figure going into year 10 with little postseason success, different OC’s, and HC’s.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes zero super bowl wins. But he's had much more success in the playoffs then dak.
They play for different teams. Rams and 49ers cannot be compared to the Cowboys. Those two teams seem to be able to send any QB to the SB.

Last year the Lions had a good team and a cake walk to the NFCCG. But unlike us, at least they were competitive against the 49ers. Probably should have beaten them.

Flamma

Reaction score
If a deal with Dak doesn’t get done by TC and the season is just ok, I don’t think he’s back not at 55-60 a year that he’s going to demand with his lack of Postseason success. I just don’t see them valuing him at that dollar figure going into year 10 with little postseason success, different OC’s, and HC’s.
You would think. But we don't know this. In all likelihood they're just getting this huge cap hit out of the way to make a new contract more cap friendly.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Goff has ended up being the best QB from the 2016 class.

5-4 in the playoffs. More wins than those bums Dak and Romo combined.

8 TDs to 2 INTS in the his playoff career.

A Super Bowl appearance and leading the Lions, yes the Lions, to the NFC Championship game.

If any team pays Dak more than what Goff is being paid then they will deserve the failure that Dak brings them.
8 tds in 9 playoffs games?

Sandyf

Reaction score
There isn't a single team in the NFL that would take 60+ mil a year Prescott over 53 mil a year Goff.
Wrong! Goff was traded from the Rams because they believed his ceiling was reached. He is a good bus driver with great WR and RB and a helluva a defense but hey what do they matter.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Goff has ended up being the best QB from the 2016 class.

5-4 in the playoffs. More wins than those bums Dak and Romo combined.

8 TDs to 2 INTS in the his playoff career.

A Super Bowl appearance and leading the Lions, yes the Lions, to the NFC Championship game.

If any team pays Dak more than what Goff is being paid then they will deserve the failure that Dak brings them.
8 tds in 9 games is not a stat you should have included

Sandyf

Reaction score
I think the Goff contract helps jump start the negotiations with Dak. Could see them signing Dak to a similar contract soon. Just like Miami will with Tua and Jacksonville with Lawrence. Dominos will start to fall.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He probably meant in the regular season matchup. But you're confusing players too. When did Dak compete against Baker Mayfield two years ago?
I thought he was confusing Baker (who just got paid by Tampa) with Goff but yes your right, Brady was still the QB it was his last game. He said playoffs but he might have meant regular season.