Lions are signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension ($170 million guaranteed)

StarLord

Reaction score
Now we can slot Dak in accordingly:
4 year $165 million Guaranteed ($41.25 mill avg)
Cousins got $160 and Goff $170.
Dak is better than Cousins but Goff is more accomplished than Dak.
They can make the total amount above Goff's $212 Million because it's phony money since it's just fluff added on by the agent to bump up the overall avg. The Guaranteed $ is all that matters.
If Dak balks at that type of deal, then let him walk.
Well you've given the current market value, but not the actual value of any of them potentially.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This, I just made that argument about young Brady the other day when someone was saying Patriots were all defense. How many QBs would throw 0 INTs in the Super Bowl though? Not a lot.
Give us an average athletic talent with ability to read defenses and nerves of steel and this team would have been sitting in a CG at least once in the past few years.

stinkface

Reaction score
All teams should have a QB exception to the salary cap. Pure and simple. That would stop this nonsense.

rambo2

Reaction score
Still boggles the mind that the Dallas QB repeatedly shown that he will never take this team any further in playoffs and fans still wanna throw money at this guy. Seriously what are you looking at? Go back and watch some of his stinkers from just the past season and give a logical and rational reason to resign this guy. Don't give me useless empty stats or MVP votes. He was definitely on of the Packers MVPs in January. I also don't want hear fear of the unknown. After 8 years the known is division round ceiling. As a fan you should want better than that.
Will Goff take the Lions further?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Crazy money… greed is ruining this sport.

You can’t effectively field a team with the cap where it’s at and star players (agents) demanding to reset the market with every deal.

I am all for the owners sharing more of the pie with the players. I just think this system is fundamentally flawed in it’s current form.

Consider:

Troy Aikman’s highest cap charge was 16 million in 1999 (base of 6.667 million). He made a TOTAL of 55 million as a Cowboy (10 million of which was dead money) in 12 seasons

Now— in 1/3 the time (4 seasons), Jared Goff is GUARANTEED to make 3 X what Aikaman earned OVER HIS ENTIRE HOF CAREER.

That is not “inflation”. That is insanity.
So where do you recommend all of the billions go? To the owners?

Redline360

Reaction score
It depends on how you view it. No one who viewed the Rams would say they made the SB because of him.

Dak is coming off a 2nd team All Pro. Neither one is anything to write about in the playoffs if you look at actual play.
Just look into the games(not at face value) only way to view it.

Agree Goff was nothing spectacular with the Rams in the playoffs. He played medicore at best, however was good in the playoffs with the lions. Had them leading 24-7 at halftime before they melted down on both sides of the ball after the Gibbs fumble. Goes back to another thread how momentum changes games instantly....

Prescott has better face value stats in the playoffs overall. Slightly better ypa, 24tds vs 8tds however Goff has way less turnovers 7-2. Daks turnovers have contributed to tons of points. Dak put up a ton of his actual yardage and Tds once starters and certain backups were removed from the game.

Not saying they both have been anything spectacular but Goff has paid slightly better lately

Dak had a great regular season but no one besides fantasy people care about that. It's what you do in the post season

CWR

Reaction score
More feathers have fallen.
Yeah if you know you're gonna re-sign it's pretty stupid to wait.

Which makes me wonder is it was a terrible miscalculation or they really want to let him play out the year and decide from there.

rambo2

Reaction score

Which makes me wonder is it was a terrible miscalculation or they really want to let him play out the year and decide from there.
The Lions might have overpaid. In a year or 2 they may want to play Hendon Hooker.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Time to trade Dak.

and Dak flips you the bird and laughs at you...... remember Jerry, I have a no trade clause for a reason.

Why do so many of you keep saying that... name me a single team Dak would agree to be traded to.

Ill wait.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

How do you know the COWBOYS are waiting? Just like last time, you all assume its Jerry waiting.

How do you know they didnt offer him the EXACT same deal Goff just got, and him and his agent just politely smiled and said thans but no thanks. Well wait and see.

Go read the thread I started last week. I made it clear why Dak is waiting. and Why I thought the Cowboys were also waiting.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Imagine that, paying a qb based on past successful results not the hope that they'll "get it" in year 9.
You mean like the Bills and Ravens did with their guys? I mean they have had tons of past success, havent they.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Despite the lack of success in the playoffs , Prescott is generally considered a better QB.

The fact Goff’s teams have had more success reaching SB and Championship is more of a reflection of those teams than Goff carrying them.

Goff didn’t set the Market Price since Burrows received 55 per last year.

I’d look for Lawrence to set it or at least match Burrow. Dallas may wait to see the deal he receives.

But based on Goff’s deal I’d expect Dak to be at least 55. I’m not arguing in favor or against but simply stating the likely parameters .

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That signing pushes Dak out of the top 10 average paid per year NFL quarterbacks. Which will probably push his/his agent's demands for a new contract even higher.

Will be very interesting to see what happens....
Have you heard that Dak is rumored to already have asked for 60 million per? This changes nothing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Crazy money… greed is ruining this sport.

You can’t effectively field a team with the cap where it’s at and star players (agents) demanding to reset the market with every deal.

I am all for the owners sharing more of the pie with the players. I just think this system is fundamentally flawed in it’s current form.

Consider:

Troy Aikman’s highest cap charge was 16 million in 1999 (base of 6.667 million). He made a TOTAL of 55 million as a Cowboy (10 million of which was dead money) in 12 seasons

Now— in 1/3 the time (4 seasons), Jared Goff is GUARANTEED to make 3 X what Aikaman earned OVER HIS ENTIRE HOF CAREER.

That is not “inflation”. That is insanity.
It’s called good business.