Lions Hoping for a 1st Round Pick For Williams, But Don't Expect to Get One

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
xsamhainx_999;2299836 said:
Il est évident que vos leçons françaises ne vous ont pas échoué ! Votre réponse était correcte ! Cette rumeur au sujet de Roy Williams est-elle vraie ?
I think you asked me if the Roy Williams rumor is true. I am not sure how to answer in French.

Oui, les rumeur son vraies.

Yes, there have been a lot of rumors and there are going to be some more. It will get out of hand in a few days to a week. Every publication is going to pick up on the rumor and try to run with it.

superpunk

Reaction score
I have the appropriate amount of junk in my trunk.

Just checking in to see if Vintage and stealth were banned yet. Still no progress, I see.

Will check back later.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2299833 said:
I would give them a first and be done with it although Jerry may be reluctant so a 2nd and a 4 or 5th would be better IMO consider RW season and all.

I would definitely go for that my friend. N arguments out of me, but I do want to know that Detroit's RW will be playing for us another 4 years since a first rounder you should get about 4-5 years outta them. The sticking point here is that Detroit's RW's contract is up this year. We obviously can franchise him but we have Canty and some other contracts coming up that we need all the leverage for. Last thing we want to do is have to franchise Detroits RW next year and have to pay him a top 5 WR salary which is at about $9.5 million this year. It's imperitive we can start talks with Detroits RW to see what his contract expectations are, they don't sound to demanding because he has been patient and the talks haven't even started. Right now he didn't have a big year last year nor is he gonna have one this year so it's a good time to get him at a reasonable bargain contract wise. Put him on the right teams and he's movng te chains.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
i have drinking to do. cant be bothered qwith superpunks' lame attempt at banning me.

He needs to admit his pwnage that I delivered.

Right now.

Superpizzwned.

OMG***BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
dude they totally banned me for 5 minutes, I learned my lesson, and you lost a life-partner.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Boysboy;2299750 said:
Remember the blog dallascowboys com MB from 2 years ago, that lasted for about that long?

I think I remember your SN there-anyhow, '06 was the same year when Eagles fans came in bunches and literally started living there. It was around Spring '07 when the mods there gave one of the mod positions to an Eagles fan. Yes-AN EAGLES FAN. Subsequently if you remember, everything went out of control, the "lock thread" feature was was cut off, and trolls from all over the place started crashing the boards. The administrator(Derek Eagleton) had to step in and clean everything up for a couple of days.

I'm sure you remember the mods there too(Oxen22, BoysFanSince83, and Dirk Gentley)-not only did they allow all the disrespectful behavior by the Eagles fans there, but they insisted us Boys fan show tons of respect to them.

Since that fiasco, Oxen22, BoysFanSince83, Dirk Gentley, eagles(the person they gave the mod job to), Plache(who rubbed it in by creating that 2006 Eagles NFCE Champs banner in his sig), and phillyphan08 ran off and created that pathetic football-know-it-alls MB to hibernate in.

I guess I'm "Obama-like" in that I'm unafraid to have dialogue with my "enemies".

I know the guys you mentioned and find them to be open minded, reasonable and dare I say knowledgeable...but I may be wrong and simply too easy going.

Maybe I came to the DCMB at the time when Derek was trying to clean things up, I just think they swung their axe too liberally.

My first post was in a thread asking what people thought our 07 record would be. I mistakenly predicted we'd go 8-8 and was wrong (and quite happily wrong, I might add). I was torched and called a troll for my opinion and this was my first (or one of the first) posts I ever made. My concern was with the defense & December collapse of 06 (and it still is BTW). Plus, it was merely my opinion which I prefaced with the statement that "nothing would make be happier than to be wrong". I think the beauty of the internet is that people are more honest about what they think than they would be if you were talking face to face (I realize this can be a bad thing too).

Anyway, I had a JohnnyMac like reaction to the attacks which just made matters worse. I suppose I've gotten better with how I express myself, but contrary to what JohnnyMac says, I think this board is far more open minded about having a discussion about the faults of our beloved Cowboys and I enjoy reading and posting here for that reason (as well as many others).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2299874 said:
I would definitely go for that my friend. N arguments out of me, but I do want to know that Detroit's RW will be playing for us another 4 years since a first rounder you should get about 4-5 years outta them. The sticking point here is that Detroit's RW's contract is up this year. We obviously can franchise him but we have Canty and some other contracts coming up that we need all the leverage for. Last thing we want to do is have to franchise Detroits RW next year and have to pay him a top 5 WR salary which is at about $9.5 million this year. It's imperitive we can start talks with Detroits RW to see what his contract expectations are, they don't sound to demanding because he has been patient and the talks haven't even started. Right now he didn't have a big year last year nor is he gonna have one this year so it's a good time to get him at a reasonable bargain contract wise. Put him on the right teams and he's movng te chains.

Yea man it depends on what he wants he was a top 5 pick so his rookie contract should be up there. So i'm guess he going to want improvements upon his rookie contract. 5 year 35 Mill 10 Mill up front maybe something in that ball park.

Boysboy

Reaction score
yimyammer;2299883 said:
I guess I'm "Obama-like" in that I'm unafraid to have dialogue with my "enemies".

I know the guys you mentioned and find them to be open minded, reasonable and dare I say knowledgeable...but I may be wrong and simply too easy going.

Maybe I came to the DCMB at the time when Derek was trying to clean things up, I just think they swung their axe too liberally.

My first post was in a thread asking what people thought our 07 record would be. I mistakenly predicted we'd go 8-8 and was wrong (and quite happily wrong, I might add). I was torched and called a troll for my opinion and this was my first (or one of the first) posts I ever made. My concern was with the defense & December collapse of 06 (and it still is BTW). Plus, it was merely my opinion which I prefaced with the statement that "nothing would make be happier than to be wrong". I think the beauty of the internet is that people are more honest about what they think than they would be if you were talking face to face (I realize this can be a bad thing too).

Anyway, I had a JohnnyMac like reaction to the attacks which just made matters worse. I suppose I've gotten better with how I express myself, but contrary to what JohnnyMac says, I think this board is far more open minded about having a discussion about the faults of our beloved Cowboys and I enjoy reading and posting here for that reason (as well as many others).

Really? I know we have differences of opinions, but there were tons of Eagles fans who came there and used names like "cowfags" "are you gay?", etc, etc-and neither Oxen22, BoysFanSince83, nor Dirk Gentley would do a darn thing. But OTOH, when one of the Boys fans had a sig mocking that Eagles fan mod, he got banned. And really, it was some class by those guys to get people from the EMB to trash our boards. At the very least, those guys, instead of hibernating on their own pathetic MB, should have fessed up over the damage they caused.

And yes, while I'll admit that that "eagles" was a pretty cool poster over there, it's a NO-NO to give a mod position to another team's fan.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2299913 said:
Yea man it depends on what he wants he was a top 5 pick so his rookie contract should be up there. So i'm guess he going to want improvements upon his rookie contract. 5 year 35 Mill 10 Mill up front maybe something in that ball park.

Hmm, I'm sure he was 7th overall but top 10 money is top 10 money. He's definitely going to want better than his rookie contact which actually was a heck of a deal. The year he went to the pro bowl he was the lowest paid pro bowler and he was listed as one of the best deals in the league at the time. They never renegotiated his contract as you see many players renegotiate their original deal after having a year like that. But RW never sqwacked but he did miss alot of games the year prior to this year. He was ticking it to them that way instead of yapping and he did have an injury but could have played most thought. We're going to have to give him about at least 10 - 12 Million up fron maybe at 6.5 - 7.5 a year. I'd say you're pretty dead on in my opinion. That Javon Walker contract will come up but it won't hold mch weight due to his results and because it was Al Davis giving himthe contract.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Boysboy;2299926 said:
Really? I know we have differences of opinions, but there were tons of Eagles fans who came there and used names like "cowfags" "are you gay?", etc, etc-and neither Oxen22, BoysFanSince83, nor Dirk Gentley would do a darn thing. But OTOH, when one of the Boys fans had a sig mocking that Eagles fan mod, he got banned. And really, it was some class by those guys to get people from the EMB to trash our boards. At the very least, those guys, instead of hibernating on their own pathetic MB, should have fessed up over the damage they caused.

And yes, while I'll admit that that "eagles" was a pretty cool poster over there, it's a NO-NO to give a mod position to another team's fan.

I never experienced that, but I totally see your point. I would never have a problem with banning people for the things you mentioned. While I don't immediately conclude that an Eagle fan couldn't be a good mod, I certainly understand why people wouldn't want an Eagle as a moderator, especially if that privledge was being misused by banning people who made negative avatars or comments towards his team.

My experience was getting tarred and feathered for giving our opponents credit for being good and wanting to have a dialogue about how we could overcome their strengths. IMHO, all too often fans dismiss all of our opponents by saying they "suck" when I don't think they do. In fact, there probably isn't a poster on any of the forums I read that could hold the jock strap of the 53rd player on any teams practice squad, so I get a little miffed when we dimiss these athletes with such terms.

We saw this happening with the Commanders both before and after the game. My problem is that if the Commanders suck, then what does it say about us whether we win or we lose? I don't think they suck, but terms like that don't make me feel better about my Cowboys which I am trying to do by gaining a more informed knowledge of our teams strengths and weaknesses from knowledgeable people who know how to express their expertise.

***Sorry folks for hijacking this thread***

I vote for getting Roy for reasonable terms as long as it doesn't crush our salary cap and as long as there isn't a better defensive player we could acquire that would make our D championship caliber. I think our offense is good enough to win it all. However, I believe our success will be defined by how well our defense performs which hasn't lived up to the draft status of so many players this D is comprised of.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Prediction...

This is strictly from my point of view, not anything I know. Detroit will lose to Chicago this weekend and when they do that will be the final motivation needed for the Lions to trade him. At 0-4 they will wave the white flag now.

There will be a rumor to this effect hitting the media markets by Friday. They will link him to Dallas for all the same reasons he has been a hundred times since Camp.

I won't predict an outcome yet. Just that for now.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Hostile;2299982 said:
Prediction...

This is strictly from my point of view, not anything I know. Detroit will lose to Chicago this weekend and when they do that will be the final motivation needed for the Lions to trade him. At 0-4 they will wave the white flag now.

There will be a rumor to this effect hitting the media markets by Friday. They will link him to Dallas for all the same reasons he has been a hundred times since Camp.

I won't predict an outcome yet. Just that for now.

I think you're right. But regardless if Detroit wins or loses he's already on the market, their mind is made up bu they want something good. 2 more weeks before the deadline, you watch them get him the ball now to up his value and it will. Whether Dallas is interested, and they are, he will be linked to Dallas because if we want him everyone has to drive the price up. If we have another week like last week then Jerry won't hesitate.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I look at it like this. We are most likely going to draft between 25-32. Crabtree won't be there, and there isn't another WR on the board that is as polished as Roy Williams.

His real talent hasn't even been displayed yet because he has played in very few meaningful games. Imagine him under the big stage back in his home town in Texas. Just in time for the G-Men.

Our defense won't be 'fixed'. The era of great sufffocating defenses are over, offense wins championships.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2300032 said:
I look at it like this. We are most likely going to draft between 25-32. Crabtree won't be there, and there isn't another WR on the board that is as polished as Roy Williams.

His real talent hasn't even been displayed yet because he has played in very few meaningful games. Imagine him under the big stage back in his home town in Texas. Just in time for the G-Men.

Our defense won't be 'fixed'. The era of great sufffocating defenses are over, offense wins championships.

Like I said before, I'd give them the #1 in a heart beat if thy would let us start talking contract with him and we could hash something out. We can't be in a position where we have to franchise him next year. Jerry is going to want to move a player also to make some more space salary wise for the new contract that will need to be structured for RW.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2300042 said:
Like I said before, I'd give them the #1 in a heart beat if thy would let us start talking contract with him and we could hash something out. We can't be in a position where we have to franchise him next year. Jerry is going to want to move a player also to make some more space salary wise for the new contract that will need to be structured for RW.

The name Carpenter keeps getting kicked around, but who else could we really afford to give up?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hostile;2299222 said:
I don't believe he is woofing and I don't think it would push him over the edge either.

i think people are wanting a situation involving owens want this to be true. but he had 2 catches in a win last week. and not a word. im glad he P.O'd about losing and actually putting some accountabilty in romo. too many people give romo a pass on his bad throws. im willing to bet romos bad throws a game outnumber to's drops 5-1 a game.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
player for player trades are almost unheard of in the NFL, its a pipe dream. I also find it funny that people think Carp sucks but think he has trade value.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2300060 said:
The name Carpenter keeps getting kicked around, but who else could we really afford to give up?
Anthony Henry. He will be a UFA after 2009. He won't be re-signed because Jenkins, Scandrick, and Jones are all younger and cheaper.

Spears because he too could be a UFA. In fact he may be after this year.

Ellis if they want to move Spencer to starter.

Draft picks are more likely because the Lions will want to rebuild.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
LatinMind;2300066 said:
i think people are wanting a situation involving owens want this to be true. but he had 2 catches in a win last week. and not a word. im glad he P.O'd about losing and actually putting some accountabilty in romo.
That's absurd. No WR should be "putting some accountability" in the QB. No one but the HC or OC should criticize your franchise QB, ever, and not publicly then.