Lions released QB Connor Cook. Remember him?

JayFord

Reaction score
Coming out of college I thought this dude woulda been somebodies franchise QB

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't. I give credit to Romo (who was already established), and the foundation he got from Payton and Parcells. Everything else Wilson ever touched was terrible. That's a fact.

Sorry, as I mentioned above, I see things very differently.
S'ok, different views. Wilson's contract was renewed while Romo was there and I don't think that happens if Romo doesn't want that. Parcells wasn't known for growing QB's as much as he was known for trying to keep them from making mistakes, he looked at the QB job a little differently than a lot of HC's. He was more, not asking the QB to win the game, just don't lose it. Which is why he and Simms had that oil/water relationship.

And I think you give a little too much credit to Payton, who was not even on the staff when Romo replaced Bledsoe. And was nowhere around as Romo began to show promise reading D's. Wilson was his QBC and was renewed as such.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coming out of college I thought this dude woulda been somebodies franchise QB
His stock began to fall during the season, and Dak's as well. Then, he interviewed poorly and the word "arrogant" was used by more than one scout about him. He had the arm and size they wanted but not the head.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
S'ok, different views. Wilson's contract was renewed while Romo was there and I don't think that happens if Romo doesn't want that. Parcells wasn't known for growing QB's as much as he was known for trying to keep them from making mistakes, he looked at the QB job a little differently than a lot of HC's. He was more, not asking the QB to win the game, just don't lose it. Which is why he and Simms had that oil/water relationship.

And I think you give a little too much credit to Payton, who was not even on the staff when Romo replaced Bledsoe. And was nowhere around as Romo began to show promise reading D's. Wilson was his QBC and was renewed as such.

And Wilson was shown the door during Parcells entire run here, and only found his way back in afterwards. That speaks volumes.

I can't think of a single quality quarterback Wilson ever coached, can you?

GMO415

Reaction score
That doesn’t change the fact that red was right in saying Dak was drafted as a backup. Of course they hoped he could be more than that, but 4th round QBs are not a major effort at getting a starter.
Yet they are and will be the highest paid QBs out there. Granted that pertains to the position more than the talent, but you can't say no one is in the market for Dak if he were to become available.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Wilson was shown the door during Parcells entire run here, and only found his way back in afterwards. That speaks volumes.

I can't think of a single quality quarterback Wilson ever coached, can you?
Grossman reached the SB with him as his QBC. And I consider Romo a quality QB and better with Wilson than without him.

I do not hold Parcells in high regard as a selector of coaches. The best one he ever had, and the one mostly responsible for his rings, told him to pound sand after he tried to set him up with the Jets.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet they are and will be the highest paid QBs out there. Granted that pertains to the position more than the talent, but you can't say no one is in the market for Dak if he were to become available.
And he would get paid what he will get with the Cowboys because of two things, the market price for QB1's and the shortage of Tier 1's.

If there was a shortage of filets, the highest priced steak per pound, the prices of ribeyes, T-bones and sirloin would rise. It is simply supply/demand and don't think these situations with Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and Paxton Lynch don't get the attention of the these GM's. Most of their jobs ride on that one position. And the jury isn't even in the jury room on the crop this year. And these QB's coming out in this next draft? Same thing.

While Dak might not be the choice of some, he is the devil we know. His issues are well documented and according to reports, he and the team are working to resolve those.

I really do wish they'd go ahead and get this done so we can deal with the wailing wall threads and get past it. It is a fait complete and all of these posts and threads about what they should do are just wasting time, it is already being done.

And put me in the group that cares a hell of a lot more how much they pay the RB and whether they keep the CB than the QB situation. That is over.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dak detractors want Jerry to go get Connor Cook, so he can come give Dak a run for the starting QB position. :muttley:
Other than not offering more to trade up for Lynch, they're thanking the draft gods that they got jumped on Cook. I think the Dak detractors would be a lot happier focusing on those two things that did not happen.

But I do not expect this to wane even after they sign him. I recognize I am addressing a Charter Romorooter here, an officer in the group, in fact.:)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Grossman reached the SB with him as his QBC. And I consider Romo a quality QB and better with Wilson than without him.

We both now the Bears got there despite him not because of him. But a nice attempt just the same.

I do not hold Parcells in high regard as a selector of coaches. The best one he ever had, and the one mostly responsible for his rings, told him to pound sand after he tried to set him up with the Jets.

That coach that got his start with Parcells?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get that but what are odds we would have had three QBs on the active roster. Again, remember Romo was the starter and they'd already named Moore as his back-up. Hell, at that time Dak was just a 4th round pick trying to make the team.
The first time Prescott practiced turn Sean Lee said who is this guy. He would have beat Kellen Moore for the second spot right then and there

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We both now the Bears got there despite him not because of him. But a nice attempt just the same.

That coach that got his start with Parcells?
That coach that made Parcells. He was never able to execute the 3/4 without him, as witnessed in Dallas, or win a ring. The student was the teacher in that arrangement. And Parcells never learned anything because he was a know-it-all.

It was revealing that when Parcells explained the difference between the 3/4 and 4/3 and why he preferred that, he was merely channeling Belichick because his 3/4 never even remotely resembled the real 3/4's in the league.

I have the tendency to discount any accolades toward Parcells because he was marginally successful here with only two intrusions that we know of by his boss. Owens and selecting Ware over Spears first and instead of Merriman. Then there's his record with and without Belichick. All he did was better than Campo did and not was good as Phillips.

But to top all of that off, Parcells goes into Seattle against two Safeties off the street, literally, and one he knew very well because he dumped him and fails to exploit that because of his fear/respect of the HC across the field. I thought he and Holmgren were going to pick out drapes together, so much man love he had for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That coach that made Parcells. He was never able to execute the 3/4 without him, as witnessed in Dallas, or win a ring. The student was the teacher in that arrangement. And Parcells never learned anything because he was a know-it-all.

It was revealing that when Parcells explained the difference between the 3/4 and 4/3 and why he preferred that, he was merely channeling Belichick because his 3/4 never even remotely resembled the real 3/4's in the league.

I have the tendency to discount any accolades toward Parcells because he was marginally successful here with only two intrusions that we know of by his boss. Owens and selecting Ware over Spears first and instead of Merriman. Then there's his record with and without Belichick. All he did was better than Campo did and not was good as Phillips.

But to top all of that off, Parcells goes into Seattle against two Safeties off the street, literally, and one he knew very well because he dumped him and fails to exploit that because of his fear/respect of the HC across the field. I thought he and Holmgren were going to pick out drapes together, so much man love he had for him.

Three Super Bowl winners between Parcells and his tree.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Other than not offering more to trade up for Lynch, they're thanking the draft gods that they got jumped on Cook. I think the Dak detractors would be a lot happier focusing on those two things that did not happen.

But I do not expect this to wane even after they sign him. I recognize I am addressing a Charter Romorooter here, an officer in the group, in fact.:)
:laugh::flagwave::thumbup: Right on, CC, ol' buddy!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it funny that the two QBs that the Cowboys' scouts wanted have been made available 2 years after they were drafted and the Cowboys had no interest in either as a backup.
Lucky twice, not necessary to push for a third.

Isn't it just like that old proverb "Life is just as much about what you didn't do as what you did"? It's not really an old proverb, I just made that up to fit this post and old is debatable since I am an old guy so maybe this could be old guy proverb?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lucky twice, not necessary to push for a third.

Isn't it just like that old proverb "Life is just as much about what you didn't do as what you did"? It's not really an old proverb, I just made that up to fit this post and old is debatable since I am an old guy so maybe this could be old guy proverb?

tenor.gif

joseephuss

Reaction score
At least all these teams admitted their mistakes and moved on. Cowboys are still flogging a dead horse.

Jerry loved all 3 of these guys.
Jerry loves Dak.........scary.

If those guys produced anywhere near the level of Dak, they would still be with their respective teams. That doesn't mean Dak is perfect as is. He still needs to grow and improve. It just shows how poor those other guys performed. It isn't even close. If Dak played that poorly, Dallas would be looking for another QB.