Lions released QB Connor Cook. Remember him?

robjay04

Reaction score
see this is one reason i favor paying Dak now,our inability to scout QBs,even Dak was drafted as a backup.We have a long history of drafting duds and being associated with failed QBs for a long time since Romo emerged.

A long history?

We drafted 3 QBs between Aikman and Dak. The highest we have went in a second round pick.

We haven’t really valued the position.

I’m for Dak as well but the teams QB philosophy has always been...throw a little bit of it against the wall and hope something sticks.

csirl

Reaction score
exactly , and it wasnt just connor, there was another guy they wanted, went to denver i think and he was a bust too.
and then there was jerry and manziel lol.
They have Dak, so 1 bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush!

At least all these teams admitted their mistakes and moved on. Cowboys are still flogging a dead horse.

Jerry loved all 3 of these guys.
Jerry loves Dak.........scary.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This belongs in the top all time most ignorant posts.
Really, so tell us all what top tier draft picks the Cowboys have used on a QB in the 30 years since Aikman was drafted and who these great college prospects were ...

Bill Musgrave who was picked in the 4th round in 1991? Was he picked to unseat Aikman? Steven McGee in 2010 who was a project that came out of a running system in college? Does he represent the all out effort to get a starting QB? Or what about Dak in the 4th round or Bill White in the 5th round? Were those picks indicative of a team doing whatever they can to get a starting QB?

Here’s the reality ... In the 30 years since Aikman was drafted Quincy is the ONLY QB the team drafted that represented a serious attempt by the Cowboys to find a starter, and without a doubt he was a stupid choice. But the few others that were drafted over that time were all projects they took a shot on hoping to find something they could develop At least as a solid #2.

And if you want to look at the draft under McClay, we are only talking about Dak and White.

Last edited:

Scotman

Reaction score
I wanted a QB in that draft pretty bad. I was all in on Lynch, all in. Never heard of Prescott. Didn't want Cook at all. I thought we screwed up by missing Lynch.

GMO415

Reaction score
see this is one reason i favor paying Dak now,our inability to scout QBs,even Dak was drafted as a backup.We have a long history of drafting duds and being associated with failed QBs for a long time since Romo emerged.
Dak was drafted because Romo was a sneeze away from becoming disabled.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted a QB in that draft pretty bad. I was all in on Lynch, all in. Never heard of Prescott. Didn't want Cook at all. I thought we screwed up by missing Lynch.

giphy.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak was drafted because Romo was a sneeze away from becoming disabled.
That doesn’t change the fact that red was right in saying Dak was drafted as a backup. Of course they hoped he could be more than that, but 4th round QBs are not a major effort at getting a starter.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Really, so tell us all what top tier draft picks the Cowboys have used on a QB in the 30 years since Aikman was drafted and who these great college prospects were ...

Bill Musgrave who was picked in the 4th round in 1991? Was he picked to unseat Aikman? Steven McGee in 2010 who was a project that came out of a running system in college? Does he represent the all out effort to get a starting QB? Or what about Dak in the 4th round or Bill White in the 5th round? Were those picks indicative of a team doing whatever they can to get a starting QB?

Here’s the reality ... In the 30 years since Aikman was drafted Quincy is the ONLY QB the team drafted that represented a serious attempt by the Cowboys to find a starter, and without a doubt he was a stupid choice. But the few others that were drafted over that time were all projects they took a shot on hoping to find something they could develop At least as a solid #2.

And if you want to look at the draft under McClay, we are only talking about Dak and White.
Read your post again. You didn’t limit it to just QB’s. Read what I highlighted. Either you meant it or misspoke. Whichever, it’s on you.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

At least get the names right. Mike White.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your right. I remember that. Good memory.

I was never a fan of what Wilson accomplished as a quarterbacks coach and often an outspoken critic, but I will also give credit where credit is due. If he was the driving force and biggest reason why this team now has Prescott, I'll always be grateful.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The single toughest thing to do in the NFL is acquire the QB. There aren't 32 quality ones and never have been. Teams like BUF never replaced Kelly, DEN never replaced Elway without signing a FA, MIA never replaced Marino and if you look at the full history of the Cowboys, they're the best at finding that player, although luck was a big factor in the last two QB's. GB did it the smart way, get that guy before you really need him.

All they did in 2016 was follow the chart and Lynch was 3rd and Cook fell in right where he was supposed to be as did Prescott. The luck was failing to get the first two and settling for the 3rd and best of the 3.

Look at these Tier 1 QB's. The best was a 6th round pick, another was a high risk pick up because the odds were against his shoulder responding, another fell down the rung with teams needing QBs and was taken by one that didn't need one and the player that has lived up to his draft position, Rivers, has basically failed to deliver a title and may be the best QB to never reach the SB.

And these teams that have taken QB's in the 1st rounds the last two years don't know what they've got, save one, and one already gave up after one season and went back to the well. And teams that will take Herbert and Tua and other QB's in the 1st round in this next draft don't know but they do know they have to try.

The Cowboys are in rare air. What other team has had a UDFA QB1 for that many seasons only to follow that up with a 4th round pick? During that time span, how many teams have taken a QB in the 1st and come up snake eyes? And there will be more, many more.

What I don't get is the prejudice against these two QB's for their lack of pedigree and not enough credit for being great sports stories and beating the odds. If I am trying to inspire a young player that feels that hill is too steep to climb, I am sure as hell not telling him the story of the #1 pick in the draft and his 3 rings.

Sometimes, and I believe this is one of those times, you have to feel fortunate for what you have even though it isn't exactly what you want. Want to feel better about Prescott? Take a look at those names between Aikman and Romo and they were trying back then, they lucked into this QB, just like they did with him. Better to be lucky than good or you just might come up snake eyes.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Oh come on! We all know they’ve been terrible in that area. Let’s not try to revise history.
Quincy Carter not withstanding,I don't think the FO in the past really tried to upgrade the QB position other than try to get a QB on the cheap. I would agree more that they were terrible at evaluating QBs if they had invested premium draft picks and big money on FA QBs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was never a fan of what Wilson accomplished as a quarterbacks coach and often an outspoken critic, but I will also give credit where credit is due. If he was the driving force and biggest reason why this team now has Prescott, I'll always be grateful.
I often criticized him as well and laid some of the blame on him when not really knowing what the hell he did. Romo became one of the best D readers in the game, am I to believe Wade Wilson didn't have something to do with that?

I don't think many of us realize just how rough around the edges Romo was. Not only was he not on any draft boards, he was invited to the Combine to work out TE's, not even to get looked at himself. He was only on the radar of two coaches, Payton and Shanahan and only because they were fellow alum and even they didn't push to use a 7th round pick on him.

I go back to Parcells comments when the media was getting Romo fever, "just wait until they get enough film on him". That kind of ticked me off at the time as I thought "hell, you're his HC, can't you help him'?

Romo had quite a few teachers, Mike Lee, Testeverde, Payton but when he got Wilson, that's when he started to become the D reader that he became and that's when he became a good NFL QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quincy Carter not withstanding,I don't think the FO in the past really tried to upgrade the QB position other than try to get a QB on the cheap. I would agree more that they were terrible at evaluating QBs if they had invested premium draft picks and big money on FA QBs.

I would say that they have been very fortunate. First, by having Parcells hire Sean Payton and Payton identifying Tony Romo. That got us off of the Quincy Carter-Hutchinson-Henson - Testaverde-Bledsoe 'dark ages' cycle we were stuck in for years.

But if not for that? We would have continued to struggle.

And then, those same people thought the injury-plagued Romo had "five more years", remember that? Six months later, the guy was done.

And it's also well known that Prescott was Option C, after the fates saved them from themselves, and drafting Paxton Lynch and Conner Cook.

They've been lucky, not good.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I often criticized him as well and laid some of the blame on him when not really knowing what the hell he did. Romo became one of the best D readers in the game, am I to believe Wade Wilson didn't have something to do with that?

I don't. I give credit to Romo (who was already established), and the foundation he got from Payton and Parcells. Everything else Wilson ever touched was terrible. That's a fact.

I don't think many of us realize just how rough around the edges Romo was. Not only was he not on any draft boards, he was invited to the Combine to work out TE's, not even to get looked at himself. He was only on the radar of two coaches, Payton and Shanahan and only because they were fellow alum and even they didn't push to use a 7th round pick on him.

I go back to Parcells comments when the media was getting Romo fever, "just wait until they get enough film on him". That kind of ticked me off at the time as I thought "hell, you're his HC, can't you help him'?

Romo had quite a few teachers, Mike Lee, Testeverde, Payton but when he got Wilson, that's when he started to become the D reader that he became and that's when he became a good NFL QB.

Sorry, as I mentioned above, I see things very differently.

starfan1

Reaction score

Pretty good post here