Listening to BTB and Locked on Cowboys

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Figure it out.

And how has what you want to call “common sense” worked out?

That’s right, we got the bust Taco vs the Hall of Fame-bound Watt.

And you want to just shrug your shoulders at ‘teams make bad picks’ as if that done how makes it OK.

It doesn’t.
One more thing. Watt is hardly HOF bound.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
5 Pro Bowls and 3 time All Pro. Some reach. Keep posting.

Ah yes.. Let's use hindsight to validate the reach on draft day.

So if he sucked then we could confirm that it was a reach?

However his career went after the pick doesn't change anything on draft day. Draft day is draft day and you're drafting for value on draft day.

If you take Tom Brady in round 1 and you could've had him in the 6th round he was still terrible value on draft day because you reached for a player you didn't have to reach for.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Produce the evidence of this claim.

I'm not going years back just to prove something they said about the 5th year option. Screw that. They said it and if you're that invested in this convo you can go look for it yourself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well hell, why didn’t you take your brilliant *** to Dallas and set Jerry Jones straight about who he should listen to and who they should’ve picked! I’m 100% sure YOU would NEVER miss a pick although all 32 teams consistently do. You’re wasting your amazing talents on this board.

Ah yes, the old tried and true cop-out, that if you’re not doing the job you can’t have an opinion. Unless it’s singing their praises of course. Those are OK.

By the way, it’s easy to figure out. You one of the many that want to do nothing but ***** and moan about every damned thing.

And you’re clearly a homer who can’t handle anything but cheery news and praise. And pretend that 25 years-plus of futility never happened.

Have fun with your tantrum.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

However his career went after the pick doesn't change anything on draft day. Draft day is draft day and you're drafting for value on draft day.

If you take Tom Brady in round 1 and you could've had him in the 6th round he was still terrible value on draft day because you reached for a player you didn't have to reach for.
They got great value now didn’t they?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On my way into work this morning they confirmed our 3rd round CB was absolutely a Quinn pick. The scouts were arguing for Cox, who was higher on the board. We got lucky in that he dropped to round 4.

The dynamic in the draft room is often discussed here so I thought it was interesting to confirm (supposedly) what was is actually happening in the war room. From everything I've heard and read it's a collaborative effort. Although they stick to the board for the most part, they will deviate if a coach feels strongly and puts together a case.

Also had the pleasure of listening to the DB Mukuamu interview and he's a really impressive kid. It wouldn't suprise me to see him stick in this league. My apologies if this has already been covered.
I haven't had a commute to work since I retired on my 50th birthday four years ago!! Thank God! I hated that crap.

Reactions: CWR

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You don't know where Frederick would be drafted. That's a fact bro you need to learn the difference.

You took the " well you can't prove it" stance like a weenie.

I can't prove that our 99th pick wouldn't have gone at pick 100 either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not going years back just to prove something they said about the 5th year option. Screw that. They said it and if you're that invested in this convo you can go look for it yourself.

As expected. Once again you run your mouth with zero support.

Noise.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's "not good". LOL.
But it is how we skipped Sharif Floyd and got Fredbeard plus ammo for DLaw.
Scouts rate players then Coaches rate guys based on scheme fit and traits they want.

It's all pretty natural if these guys have only been here a couple months.
Now after a year plus you sure hope to never see it.

End of day if it works, it works, If it fails, bleh.

Just know Quinn would have told McClay to take TJ Watt not Taco and *** his RAS scores.
So I'm sure it breaks good and bad.

But to give an example form another sport if college basketball coaches just get the best athletes with every scholarship then they can very much end up at end of games without a free throw shooter.
Teams do very much need to fill roles.
Team building isn't about average graded players being super high as much as everything being to pull off their job well.
Gotcha!

Thanks for the explanation, Coach!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Clearly was a Quinn pick as many didn't view him as a top 100 player. He has the traits, Quinn covets for the position.
That doesn’t mean you can waste it. Or take a 7th round talent in round 3.

Maybe Quinn had some inside info on Wright and the Falcons were high on him and were planning on drafting him in the 4th round. Who knows?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

In the end, value in draft day means little. I don’t really care where a player is drafted as long as they turn out to be good or great players. Winning draft day means absolutely nothing. Nothing. If my 4th round pick becomes a Pro Bowler and performs a bit better than my 1st round pick, I don’t care. Give me good players and leave the draft class rating to the clowns selling magazines. First rounders bust. Sixth rounders become the greatest player in the game. Players drafted in between have great success and great failure. It’s a crap shoot. Just give me good players, period.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Quinn had some inside info on Wright and the Falcons were high on him and were planning on drafting him in the 4th round. Who knows?

We just have to wait and see how he turns out. But right now, based on the information we have, he’s a huge reach until proven otherwise.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Ah yes, the old tried and true cop-out, that if you’re not doing the job you can’t have an opinion. Unless it’s singing their praises of course. Those are OK.

And you’re clearly a homer who can’t handle anything but cheery news and praise. And pretend that 25 years-plus of futility never happened.

Have fun with your tantrum.
No, you’ve got it wrong. Sure everyone can have their opinions on players, etc. It’s the contrarians that want to do nothing but ***** that piss me off. Some of you question every single move that is made. It’s old and tired. Why are you even here if you hate everything about the organization? Move on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you’ve got it wrong. Sure everyone can have their opinions on players, etc. It’s the contrarians that want to do nothing but ***** that piss me off. Some of you question every single move that is made. It’s old and tired. Why are you even here if you hate everything about the organization? Move on.

Again you show that you can’t handle a dissenting opinion. Speaks much more if you than it does me.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Watching film on this guy is one thing getting access to interviews, medicals and everything else is something completely different or even access to the teams boards.

I never said anybody had to like the pick or that he will be a great player. What I'm saying is most of you guys never even watched film on a player and that complain it was a reach or say he could have been drafted later. Nobody knows but the 32 teams and even they don't know when a team will take a player. Sure you can figure out most of the first round but after that not a single person knows when or where they will be drafted.

I keep seeing the access to medicals, interviews etc. You don’t think a guy who does evaluations year round can’t ask the coaches and players questions? I mean what you just stated basically does away with any need to do evaluations or boards at all 2-7 because no one knows “when are where they will be drafted.” Let’s just pick X guy who might be an UDFA in the 2nd..why not? That’s what you are trying to say. It’s ridiculous. You know that when a kid wants to come out early, many times they get an evaluation to see where they would be picked in case they may need another year of college. So where someone is slotted has value. No one is saying the kid can’t be good. But value exists for a reason in the draft.

BTW, I’m not arguing against the kid, just how we placed value

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On my way into work this morning they confirmed our 3rd round CB was absolutely a Quinn pick. The scouts were arguing for Cox, who was higher on the board. We got lucky in that he dropped to round 4.

The dynamic in the draft room is often discussed here so I thought it was interesting to confirm (supposedly) what was is actually happening in the war room. From everything I've heard and read it's a collaborative effort. Although they stick to the board for the most part, they will deviate if a coach feels strongly and puts together a case.

Also had the pleasure of listening to the DB Mukuamu interview and he's a really impressive kid. It wouldn't suprise me to see him stick in this league. My apologies if this has already been covered.

The Cowboys draft board is based purely on game footage and measurables.

They leave out position value, medical and character then evaluate those issues at draft time. They put together presentations of each player that includes all of the background on character, medical, etc. and review it during the draft when they're discussing that player.

McClay evaluated the process when he got the top player evaluation job and determined that position value, character, etc. received extra emphasis because it was included in the draft board and then included again during draft day discussions.

If players are close on the draft board, CB is a more of a premium position than off-ball LB.

The primary criticism of Wright was speed. He did manage a 4.49 forty, but didn't play that fast and he'll need to gain weight in the NFL.

Richard Sherman dropped to the 5th round in large part because of concerns about his speed.

The Quinn style of defense makes size/technique a priority at CB.

Richard Sherman would have failed if coaches had tried to use him like coaches used Darrelle Revis.

The difference in style between Revis and Sherman is similar to the difference between Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson.
Ali: Float like a Butterfly, sting like a Bee.
Tyron: More like a Lion that had not eaten in days...

Sherman called the style played by Revis as "soft shoe" which is a reference to dancing.

Last edited:

Bizwah

Reaction score
The Cowboys draft board is based purely on game footage and measurables.

They leave out position value, medical and character then evaluate those issues at draft time. They put together presentations of each player that includes all of the background on character, medical, etc. and review it during the draft when they're discussing that player.

McClay evaluated the process when he got the top player evaluation job and determined that position value, character, etc. received extra emphasis because it was included in the draft board and then included again during draft day discussions.

If players are close on the draft board, CB is a more of a premium position than off-ball LB.

The primary criticism of Wright was speed. He ran a 4.57 forty.

Richard Sherman dropped to the 5th round in large part because of concerns about his speed.

The Quinn style of defense makes size/technique a priority at CB.

Richard Sherman would have failed if coaches had tried to use him like coaches used Darrelle Revis.

The difference in style between Revis and Sherman is similar to the difference between Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson.
Ali: Float like a Butterfly, sting like a Bee.
Tyron: More like a Lion that had not eaten in days...

Sherman called the style played by Revis as "soft shoe" which is a reference to dancing.
Are you talking about Nashon Wright?

I read he ran a 4.47 forty.