Longhorns Recruiting

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m not comparing the Big12 to the ACC. I’m saying you guys sound like total homers every year when you say they’re the best conference in football or basketball yet they don’t win anything.

I would say the same thing to guys in the PAC10 or the Big10.

With so much “talent” in Texas you’d think universities there would luck up every now and then.

It's not all about talent. Look at Football, in the last several year, the Big 12 has had 3 teams who could have won the NC. Missouri in 2007, 12-2 lost out to LSU who was also 12-2. TCU in 2010 was unbeaten, lost out to Auburn. OKSt. was 12-1 in 2011 but lost out to 12-1 Bama. None of these schools lost head to head to the eventual NCs. I mean, I get things like strength of schedule etc. but they all played good enough to win a NC. They just didn't get voted in so it's not like the Big 12 is not playing good Football, it's that the SEC has the mind share of voting base. Even when it's questionable, the SEC gets the benefit.

You would say the same about the guys in the PAC10 or the Big10 but I don't hear you saying it about Virginia?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Really? Don't BS me, I follow the ACC. I'm a Heel's fan, which is why you can't BS me, I've watched Virginia for over 40 years in all the major college sports. Yeah, you guys play Tennis, yeah you guys play LaCross, you guys play Soccer, Rowing, things like that but in terms of major sports, you got what, one Basketball Title and one Baseball Title and that's it? You are not part of the SEC so don't claim them. Big 10 is better but when's the last time they one a Football Title or even a Basketball Title? Let me help you here, I think it was OSU in 2014 and Texas won it in 2005 (and those are the only two schools outside of the SEC who have won a football title in the NCAA since 2005), In Basketball I'm gonna say Michigan St. in like 2000 (Kansas won it in 2008)? Like I said, the ACC is Carolina, Duke and the rest and that's it. Well, I guess I would have to include Nova in there as well, since they do have some recent Basketball success but Virginia is filler in that league so don't try and tell anybody that the Big 12 sucks while you guys are worse. You had one good year, don't let it go to your head.

In my opinion, you calling out anybody is a joke. I think you need to put up or shut up.

And for the the record, the SEC is not part of the Northern or Mid Atlantic. Don't them because you aint part of them.

Edit: I left out mentioning Clemson as an ACC school, they won it in 2016 and 2018. They are more of an SEC team in Football IMO but they are in the ACC.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Edit: I left out mentioning Clemson as an ACC school, they won it in 2016 and 2018. They are more of an SEC team in Football IMO but they are in the ACC.
Yeah, in the last 6 years, the
  • ACC has 3 national titles (Clemson 2, Florida St 1)
  • SEC has 2 (Alabama 2)
  • Big 10 has 1 (Ohio St)
  • Big 12 has 0
  • Pac 10 has 0
For the last decade
  • SEC has 6
  • ACC has 3
  • Big 10 has 1
  • Big 12 has 0
  • Pac 12 has 0
  • everyone else has 0

DFWJC

Reaction score
Last 20 years, the current

• SEC has 9.5 (4 teams)
  • ACC has 5 (3 teams)
  • Big 10 has 2 (1 team)
  • Big 12 has 2 (2 teams)
  • Pac 12 has 1.5 (1 team)
  • everyone else has 0

uvaballa

Reaction score
It's not all about talent. Look at Football, in the last several year, the Big 12 has had 3 teams who could have won the NC. Missouri in 2007, 12-2 lost out to LSU who was also 12-2. TCU in 2010 was unbeaten, lost out to Auburn. OKSt. was 12-1 in 2011 but lost out to 12-1 Bama. None of these schools lost head to head to the eventual NCs. I mean, I get things like strength of schedule etc. but they all played good enough to win a NC. They just didn't get voted in so it's not like the Big 12 is not playing good Football, it's that the SEC has the mind share of voting base. Even when it's questionable, the SEC gets the benefit.

You would say the same about the guys in the PAC10 or the Big10 but I don't hear you saying it about Virginia?
LOL Virginia isn't really a football school. We have higher standards so we can't sign a lot of the top recruits. We're more of a basketball, lacrosse, baseball, and soccer school.

Virginia Tech is more of a football school. Once Beamer retired you had to assume they'd drop.

Texas is so big and has so many schools and still hasn't won much more than the VA schools lol.

I also mentioned basketball because during the basketball season I was hearing about how great the Big12 is. A conference that has been pretty bad in basketball except for one team. East coast guys aren't taking you serious until you win something in either sport, that's just the way it is.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL Virginia isn't really a football school. We have higher standards so we can't sign a lot of the top recruits. We're more of a basketball, lacrosse, baseball, and soccer school.

Virginia Tech is more of a football school. Once Beamer retired you had to assume they'd drop.

Texas is so big and has so many schools and still hasn't won much more than the VA schools lol.

I also mentioned basketball because during the basketball season I was hearing about how great the Big12 is. A conference that has been pretty bad in basketball except for one team. East coast guys aren't taking you serious until you win something in either sport, that's just the way it is.

No kidding, your not really a basketball school either. Nor are you a Baseball school. You are just talking a lot. Texas is much more accomplished then is Virginia, in terms of Athletics. You can make this crap up if you wish but I mean, come on. I've been watching Virginia play ACC Basketball since you signed Ralph Sampson. All you heard was how you were going to win a Championship and what happened? Nothing. BTW, Terry Holland was the best HC Virginia ever had IMO. It's interesting that you would comment on Texas HS talent and turn around and say that they haven't won much more then Virginia, what a lie that is, and yet Virginia is a East Coast School. You play in the best College Basketball Conference in the country (and it aint the Big East), the ACC yet what do you have to show for it? One championship, that's it. You've had better access to talent in Basketball then any school in Texas for years and yet, you comment on how Texas has nothing? Really?

To my knowledge, you have one Baseball title ever and one Basketball title, ever. You have had access to just as much talent, if not more, as any school in Texas. There are way more people who live on the East Coast then there are in Texas and many more resources available for the majority of Virginia's existence. Do people in Texas Brag on their schools? Yeah, they do, but so do you guys. Come on, you trying to say that you don't? I lived in Virginia, I know that's not true. You are on a Cowboy Board, a team that is from Texas, I mean what do you expect?

uvaballa

Reaction score
No kidding, your not really a basketball school either. Nor are you a Baseball school. You are just talking a lot. Texas is much more accomplished then is Virginia, in terms of Athletics. You can make this crap up if you wish but I mean, come on. I've been watching Virginia play ACC Basketball since you signed Ralph Sampson. All you heard was how you were going to win a Championship and what happened? Nothing. BTW, Terry Holland was the best HC Virginia ever had IMO. It's interesting that you would comment on Texas HS talent and turn around and say that they haven't won much more then Virginia, what a lie that is, and yet Virginia is a East Coast School. You play in the best College Basketball Conference in the country (and it aint the Big East), the ACC yet what do you have to show for it? One championship, that's it. You've had better access to talent in Basketball then any school in Texas for years and yet, you comment on how Texas has nothing? Really?

To my knowledge, you have one Baseball title ever and one Basketball title, ever. You have had access to just as much talent, if not more, as any school in Texas. There are way more people who live on the East Coast then there are in Texas and many more resources available for the majority of Virginia's existence. Do people in Texas Brag on their schools? Yeah, they do, but so do you guys. Come on, you trying to say that you don't? I lived in Virginia, I know that's not true. You are on a Cowboy Board, a team that is from Texas, I mean what do you expect?

I just looked and Texas is really a swimming and diving school lol. Haven’t really done much in any of the big sports recently. All that money for nothing.

The basketball program has more wins than Duke and UNC the last few years.

Virginia’s athletic program is on par with Texas across all sports. The men have won the Capital One Cup 2 times in the past 5 years I believe. We win championships in sports other than swimming.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just looked and Texas is really a swimming and diving school lol. Haven’t really done much in any of the big sports recently. All that money for nothing.

The basketball program has more wins than Duke and UNC the last few years.

Virginia’s athletic program is on par with Texas across all sports. The men have won the Capital One Cup 2 times in the past 5 years I believe. We win championships in sports other than swimming.

I'm not sure what the bigger joke here is, this post or the idea that you actually looked at Texas.

Texas has 6 Baseball National Championships. They Have 6 Runnerups for the National Championship. I think we both know that Texas is coming in Football as well and BTW, Texas is the 3rd winningest program in College Football. There aren't a lot of schools that can compete with SEC schools, in terms of Football, but Texas has been one of them and they are rapidly returning to form in that regard. Virginia is what?

Basketball, Texas has had a lot more talent then results in this area IMO but then again, it has really only been recently that Basketball Players have even stayed in Texas to play and even today, that doesn't always happen. In the history of Mr. Basketball/Texas, the best player in the state of Texas has only stayed in Texas to play Basketball 11 times. Hell, one of them went to Virginia to play ball, Lance Blanks. So while I concede that point, it's also not like Texas has had the same kinds of opportunities as Virginia has, in that regard. Lets see what time brings. Texas needs the right coach IMO, the rest is there for them. Then we'll see.

It's true that Texas has historically had a great Swim Program, 14 National Championships, that's true but because they have had such success doesn't mean that they are just a Swimming School. They also have a great Golf Program and a great Track and Field Program. Truth is, Texas has 47 NCAA National Championships, 52 total. So yeah, they have won a lot in a lot of different areas and that's just one school in Texas. If you want to complain about fans talking up their schools, be my guest but don't come in here and act like Virginia is better cause they would get smoked in the Big 12 and it aint even close. I didn't start this but I'll finish it for you. In a 130 odd years, Virginia has won 27 NCAA championships with more time, more money behind them and with a much bigger advantage in population draw. Only two of those championships in major sports.

It's easy for you to spout off because you are coming off an NCAA championship but that's all it is. It's talk and this coming year, it will be gone. What I said originally is true. Virginia is filling out the schedule in the ACC in Basketball. In Football, your going to be what you have historically been, a .500 team. In Baseball, I actually have most respect for Virginia and there Baseball program. Virginia is not Texas but they are decent here. You guys have done some good things here and I think Virginia can be proud of the schools accomplishments here.

So that's the deal. I don't hate Virginia. I actually like them, compared to a lot of teams in the ACC but don't come in here and talk about Texas Schools or their fans, when your Virginia has done less then diddly squat in the NCAAs themselves. No game there.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, Texas has one the best all-around athletic programs in the nation, and that includes power sports as well.
Multiple titles in Football and more NCAA tourney appearances than any school in history in baseball (plus 6 titles)
Strong academically too..

DFWJC

Reaction score
Texas is in that group of programs that is good in all around sports (measure by Director's Cup) and academics (measured by US News ratings)

The top 12 combined academic and athletic programs over the last 10 years (10 yr average)
  1. Stanford
  2. UCLA
  3. USC
  4. Duke
  5. North Carolina
  6. Michigan
  7. Cal
  8. Virginia
  9. Florida
  10. Northwestern
  11. Texas
  12. Penn State
was going to do top 10 but may as well make it dirty dozen :)

uvaballa

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the bigger joke here is, this post or the idea that you actually looked at Texas.

Texas has 6 Baseball National Championships. They Have 6 Runnerups for the National Championship. I think we both know that Texas is coming in Football as well and BTW, Texas is the 3rd winningest program in College Football. There aren't a lot of schools that can compete with SEC schools, in terms of Football, but Texas has been one of them and they are rapidly returning to form in that regard. Virginia is what?

Basketball, Texas has had a lot more talent then results in this area IMO but then again, it has really only been recently that Basketball Players have even stayed in Texas to play and even today, that doesn't always happen. In the history of Mr. Basketball/Texas, the best player in the state of Texas has only stayed in Texas to play Basketball 11 times. Hell, one of them went to Virginia to play ball, Lance Blanks. So while I concede that point, it's also not like Texas has had the same kinds of opportunities as Virginia has, in that regard. Lets see what time brings. Texas needs the right coach IMO, the rest is there for them. Then we'll see.

It's true that Texas has historically had a great Swim Program, 14 National Championships, that's true but because they have had such success doesn't mean that they are just a Swimming School. They also have a great Golf Program and a great Track and Field Program. Truth is, Texas has 47 NCAA National Championships, 52 total. So yeah, they have won a lot in a lot of different areas and that's just one school in Texas. If you want to complain about fans talking up their schools, be my guest but don't come in here and act like Virginia is better cause they would get smoked in the Big 12 and it aint even close. I didn't start this but I'll finish it for you. In a 130 odd years, Virginia has won 27 NCAA championships with more time, more money behind them and with a much bigger advantage in population draw. Only two of those championships in major sports.

It's easy for you to spout off because you are coming off an NCAA championship but that's all it is. It's talk and this coming year, it will be gone. What I said originally is true. Virginia is filling out the schedule in the ACC in Basketball. In Football, your going to be what you have historically been, a .500 team. In Baseball, I actually have most respect for Virginia and there Baseball program. Virginia is not Texas but they are decent here. You guys have done some good things here and I think Virginia can be proud of the schools accomplishments here.

So that's the deal. I don't hate Virginia. I actually like them, compared to a lot of teams in the ACC but don't come in here and talk about Texas Schools or their fans, when your Virginia has done less then diddly squat in the NCAAs themselves. No game there.

Are you talking about titles from 25+ years ago? I'm talking about this decade. Not going back and forth with you about this because I don't have time. Winning national championships recently is all the east coast cares about was my point.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Texas is in that group of programs that is good in all around sports (measure by Director's Cup) and academics (measured by US News ratings)

The top 12 combined academic and athletic programs over the last 10 years (10 yr average)
  1. Stanford
  2. UCLA
  3. USC
  4. Duke
  5. North Carolina
  6. Michigan
  7. Cal
  8. Virginia
  9. Florida
  10. Northwestern
  11. Texas
  12. Penn State
was going to do top 10 but may as well make it dirty dozen :)
Yeah pretty clear Virginia sports and academics is top notch. I wasn't even talking about individual schools just conferences but guys took it personal lol.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Are you talking about titles from 25+ years ago? I'm talking about this decade. Not going back and forth with you about this because I don't have time. Winning national championships recently is all the east coast cares about was my point.

I'm talking about titles all time. I am not certain of how old you are but here's the thing, titles won still count, even if it was 25 years ago. Besides, you got no argument even if it's in the last 25 years. Texas has still won more then Virginia. And BTW, the East Coast is whatever. They aren't the only part of the Country and nobody in Texas gives a flip about what the East Coast thinks. That's just the truth. If you want to rant over how the East is great and Texas sucks, that's cool but don't expect to come in here and get traction. That ain't happening.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I'm talking about titles all time. I am not certain of how old you are but here's the thing, titles won still count, even if it was 25 years ago. Besides, you got no argument even if it's in the last 25 years. Texas has still won more then Virginia. And BTW, the East Coast is whatever. They aren't the only part of the Country and nobody in Texas gives a flip about what the East Coast thinks. That's just the truth. If you want to rant over how the East is great and Texas sucks, that's cool but don't expect to come in here and get traction. That ain't happening.
I initially wasn’t even talking about Texas you did. I said all talk about Big12 being the best in certain sports isn’t validated without winning NCs. I was saying that because guys keep saying east coast bias but it’s not really bias.

I actually don’t have anything against Texas and may root for them if they actually made it to the football final four.

Actually heading to Austin for the first time in October. Any good breweries you recommend?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I initially wasn’t even talking about Texas you did. I said all talk about Big12 being the best in certain sports isn’t validated without winning NCs. I was saying that because guys keep saying east coast bias but it’s not really bias.

I actually don’t have anything against Texas and may root for them if they actually made it to the football final four.

Actually heading to Austin for the first time in October. Any good breweries you recommend?

Hey, it's cool with me, we can discuss any Texas school. Doesn't really matter, you ain't coming in here from Virginia and talking about Texas Schools. I got no love for the TAMUs and Techs and SMUs and TCUs of the world but I will defend them over Virginia every day of the week. Well, maybe not on a game week.

It's a principle thing. I wouldn't expect to go on an ACC board and talk trash about Carolina or Duke or Wake or NCSt. I mean, it's just a natural given right? That's why I don't have a problem with you being proud of the Cavs. It's fine, it's just not the board to do that on right?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, in the last 6 years, the
  • ACC has 3 national titles (Clemson 2, Florida St 1)
  • SEC has 2 (Alabama 2)
  • Big 10 has 1 (Ohio St)
  • Big 12 has 0
  • Pac 10 has 0
For the last decade
  • SEC has 6
  • ACC has 3
  • Big 10 has 1
  • Big 12 has 0
  • Pac 12 has 0
  • everyone else has 0
National titles do not determine the best conferences contrary to dummy thinking.
The ACC is a trash football conference propped up by 1 school that gets a free ride ot the NC every year by virtue of playing trash ACC opponents.

DFWJC

Reaction score
National titles do not determine the best conferences contrary to dummy thinking.
The ACC is a trash football conference propped up by 1 school that gets a free ride ot the NC every year by virtue of playing trash ACC opponents.
It appears that you didnt read the context of my post.
Instead , just blindly proceed with irrational insults, as usual.

Anyway, thats only going back a measly 6 years, yet TWO different ACC teams won titles.
The free ride thing is comical anyway. Clemson had a strongest SOS in the nation last year.
Talk about the exact opposite of being true from what you said
Your post was just plain wrong factually.
All emotions, once again.

Last edited: