Looking back on the 2015 draft hurts

Zordon

Reaction score
Five spots after Byron Jones, another safety Landon Collins was selected. Collins is a DPOY candidate and has 6 career INTs.

In the 2nd round, three spots after Randy Gregory another DE, Frank Clark was selected. Clark has 13 career sacks.

A littler perspective is needed when we dissect the hell out of a clip of Gregory running down a RB 7 yds down the field or when we fawn over Jones' versatility. Both players are getting severely outplayed by lesser picks at their same position.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Five spots after Byron Jones, another safety Landon Collins was selected. Collins is a DPOY candidate and has 6 career INTs.

In the 2nd round, three spots after Randy Gregory another DE, Frank Clark was selected. Clark has 13 career sacks.

A littler perspective is needed when we dissect the hell out of a clip of Gregory running down a RB 7 yds down the field or when we fawn over Jones' versatility. Both players are getting severely outplayed by lesser picks at their same position.
Landon Collins is greatly helped by what NY did in free agency. If we spent 200 million I can guarantee you Jones would be playing at a higher level than he already is. Collins also called out Romo last season before playing a snap in the NFL. Not the RKG

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins is a very good player. Not DPOY or even in the conversation as far as I am concerned. Very good none the less.

We still don't know how the Gregory situation will turn out but he has played very limited number of snaps compared to Clark so comparing sack totals isn't really a good measure to go by. Before the draft Gregory was considered to have top 10 ability.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At 13-3 and the #1 seed, I think I'll get over it.

Agreed.

If I wanted to go down the "woe is me" path I'd revisit every draft from the inception the team and punch myself after every "Billy Cannon Jr" or "Robert Shaw" pick...

But realizing how much of the draft is a crap-shoot I'll resist the temptation.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins is a very good player. Not DPOY or even in the conversation as far as I am concerned. Very good none the less.

We still don't know how the Gregory situation will turn out but he has played very limited number of snaps compared to Clark so comparing sack totals isn't really a good measure to go by. Before the draft Gregory was considered to have top 10 ability.

Quite frankly I think when it comes down to pure pass rushing talent Gregory is the best pass rusher out of the last two drafts.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
I think Jones is going to be a very solid player for us for many years. I'm not upset with that pick.

Gregory, well he was a risk. First round talent that needed some mental coaching. Well, obviously that hasn't worked out unfortunately but you cant really blame them for trying.

btcutter

Reaction score

You can play this hindsight game all day. In fact, we would all be billionaires with that ability.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I wish we had Clark but the domestic violence thing wouldn't get swept under the rug in Dallas like it did in Seattle.

Also, I would take Byron Jones over Landon Collins for our defense.

Jones has basically taken away the deep ball, made our SS's better, and he can line up in the slot and cover like a corner.

I do not regret Jones > Collins at all and I actually prefer it.

erod

Reaction score

We were loaded in smash-mouth safeties. We need a ball-hawking safety like Jones. He plays the ball well in center field, and he shuts down tight ends. Byron Jones was a brilliant pick.

Randy Gregory, quite obviously, was a risk that isn't panning out at all. Chaz Green looks to have ability, can't stay on the field.

Jeff Swaim looks like a very nice pick late, and Damien Wilson is coming on strong. David Irving has replaced the Ryan Russell bust.

LittleD

Reaction score
I wish we had Clark but the domestic violence thing wouldn't get swept under the rug in Dallas like it did in Seattle.

Also, I would take Byron Jones over Landon Collins for our defense.

Jones has basically taken away the deep ball, made our SS's better, and he can line up in the slot and cover like a corner.

I do not regret Jones > Collins at all and I actually prefer it.

Dallas was never going to select Clark... He was in the box and not in their draft field of view.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

I still dislike the Jones pick to this day.... Collins is a flat out stud Z. I hate the fact that Dallas draft Jones the workout warrior. He gets a lot of love for a player who doesn't create TO's. Which obviously puts the offense in position to score more points. But yet people will defend this guy because he has the ability to cover TE's. How many dropped INTs does he have? and how many would've made a difference? It took what 25+ games for Jones to get 1 INT and it was a hail mary attempt? and it took RG what 16 games to get 1 sack? Yep tried to get cute and this what you end up with 2 impact plays while the other guys mentioned are playing great football.

Sydla

Reaction score

Collins is a nice safety but he's a different kind of safety. There's no chance you could take Collins and put him on a slot WR or use him as a 3rd CB like the Cowboys can with Jones. I think that's why Dallas took him. Marinelli wanted flexibility.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score

lol chill out bruh. Clark had as many issues as Gregory. Jones is in his first year playing safety. Collins has played safety the last 5 years. Just sayin