Looking back on the 2015 draft hurts

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Five spots after Byron Jones, another safety Landon Collins was selected. Collins is a DPOY candidate and has 6 career INTs.

In the 2nd round, three spots after Randy Gregory another DE, Frank Clark was selected. Clark has 13 career sacks.

A littler perspective is needed when we dissect the hell out of a clip of Gregory running down a RB 7 yds down the field or when we fawn over Jones' versatility. Both players are getting severely outplayed by lesser picks at their same position.
My question to you Zordon, did you want Frank Clark for this to hurt so bad?

Jenky

Reaction score
I still dislike the Jones pick to this day.... Collins is a flat out stud Z. I hate the fact that Dallas draft Jones the workout warrior. He gets a lot of love for a player who doesn't create TO's. Which obviously puts the offense in position to score more points. But yet people will defend this guy because he has the ability to cover TE's. How many dropped INTs does he have? and how many would've made a difference? It took what 25+ games for Jones to get 1 INT and it was a hail mary attempt? and it took RG what 16 games to get 1 sack? Yep tried to get cute and this what you end up with 2 impact plays while the other guys mentioned are playing great football.

Byron Jones has been huge for our defense. The number of big plays has been cut down tremendously.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
We were loaded in smash-mouth safeties. We need a ball-hawking safety like Jones. He plays the ball well in center field, and he shuts down tight ends. Byron Jones was a brilliant pick.

Zach Ertz and Eric Ebron called. They beg to differ on the shut down comment

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Five spots after Byron Jones, another safety Landon Collins was selected. Collins is a DPOY candidate and has 6 career INTs.

In the 2nd round, three spots after Randy Gregory another DE, Frank Clark was selected. Clark has 13 career sacks.

A littler perspective is needed when we dissect the hell out of a clip of Gregory running down a RB 7 yds down the field or when we fawn over Jones' versatility. Both players are getting severely outplayed by lesser picks at their same position.
I wanted to draft Frank Clark.

I don't think Marinelli would trade Jones for Collins if he had the choice. The Cowboys secondary has improved this season. The pass rush is not really better and the CBs are the same with the addition of a rookie. The biggest reason they are better is because of Jones. He allows the CBs to play a different game than they have played in the past. What Jones does will not show up on the TV broadcast.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I wish we had Clark but the domestic violence thing wouldn't get swept under the rug in Dallas like it did in Seattle.

Also, I would take Byron Jones over Landon Collins for our defense.

Jones has basically taken away the deep ball, made our SS's better, and he can line up in the slot and cover like a corner.

I do not regret Jones > Collins at all and I actually prefer it.

I'd actually would give credit to the new secondary coach as all the DB's have been playing the ball this year. I don't think it has anything to do with Jones. Also both Wilcox and Church have stepped up their game which I believe is because of the new DB coach. It's no coincidence these guys are playing better since the new coach was brought in.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Landon Collins is a very good player who is making an impact on his football team.

Byron Jones is a very good player who is making an impact on his football team.

Spending time lamenting over differing stats is a waste. Byron Jones is a key member of what is quietly a very good secondary this year. Worrying about what could have been is of no value.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Byron Jones has been huge for our defense. The number of big plays has been cut down tremendously.

Give the new DB coach credit as ALL DB's are playing the ball this year where as in years past they were not. But hey it's all just Jones :rolleyes:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-under-25-the-nfls-best-young-players/

Interesting timing, this article came up as well. Note specifically the key difference they note with Collins. They are two very different players.

5. Landon Collins, S, New York Giants
After a rookie season in which he looked lost at free safety playing deep in coverage, Collins was moved to strong safety this season and has been a revelation. Playing closer to the line of scrimmage, Collins has been everywhere for the Giants this season and had a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year-caliber season. Collins had eight more defensive stops than any other safety this season, and picked off five passes.

25. Byron Jones, S, Dallas Cowboys
Teams are now chasing matchup weapons on defense to counter those that offenses have been stockpiling over the past decade, and the Cowboys’ Jones is one such player. Jones has played corner and safety for Dallas since being drafted and has been used to counter elite receiving TEs in the passing game. Jones has just one interception over two seasons, but has broken up six passes in each and made plenty of plays in coverage.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No excuses for Gregory, but Collins has a better supporting cast than Jones.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'd actually would give credit to the new secondary coach as all the DB's have been playing the ball this year. I don't think it has anything to do with Jones. Also both Wilcox and Church have stepped up their game which I believe is because of the new DB coach. It's no coincidence these guys are playing better since the new coach was brought in.

I'll give the new DB coach credit too but I think you need to pay closer attention to what Byron Jones is doing. He's been a Darren Woodson type for this defense.

We haven't had a player as dynamic as Byron Jones in some time and it's allowed us to do some things with the secondary because he has so much range.

Keep in mind that he is a 2nd year player that is really a 1st year safety.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I'll give the new DB coach credit too but I think you need to pay closer attention to what Byron Jones is doing. He's been a Darren Woodson type for this defense.

We haven't had a player as dynamic as Byron Jones in some time and it's allowed us to do some things with the secondary because he has so much range.

Keep in mind that he is a 2nd year player that is really a 1st year safety.

Woody brought the wood Jones does not sorry not a fan never have been a fan of this pick

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-under-25-the-nfls-best-young-players/

Interesting timing, this article came up as well. Note specifically the key difference they note with Collins. They are two very different players.

Exactly..

We don't need a guy closer to the LOS. That is the opposite of what we need and not only can our guy cover deep down field as a center fielder he can also line up as a corner out wide or in the slot.

We hit on this pick and he is probably the 2nd or 3rd most important defender on the team right now.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
You can play this hindsight game all day. In fact, we would all be billionaires with that ability.

On the contrary, billionaires don't become billionaires sitting around thinking about the one that got away. That's called a poverty mentality, one that afflicts many Cowboys' fans. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

lqmac1

Reaction score

I'm not gonna lie, I wanted Collin's badly. If we can do it all over again, I would take Collins over Byron. The dude has been an absolute monster and is well on his way in becoming the best safety in the league.

Aven8

Reaction score
Zordon have you even watched the games?? Byron may not be able to catch a cold but he is a covering/tackling machine out there!! He's our most dynamic player outside of Lee IMO. I think outside of Lee he's our most indispensable player.

Gregory was just a gamble. He seems to be very dynamic as well, he just likes to smoke weed. The next CBA they need to 86 these rules and get with society here. We are treating the Gordons and Gregorys as if they are criminals here! They got high. If they are criminals the NBA is a prison league!! Lol