Looking like Dan Quinn will return

Status
Not open for further replies.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My gosh, people.

Quinn is an excellent defensive coordinator. But he needs linebackers.

He was forced to play safeties at linebacker, which worked against weak running teams but was obliterated by good ones.

Players matter.
Playing safeties at LB is clearly a large part of Quinn's philosophy. Losing LVE surely made him do it more than even wanted to, but it's not like LBs getting hurt should be a shock, especially when that LB is LVE.

Quinn was largely the reason we went so thin at true LB.

What's unclear is just who is responsible for depriving the defense of their best LB - Parsons. Obviously should be a split time LB/DE.

Lack of true LBs is largely on Quinn, and good chance it's entirely so.

Majic

Reaction score
No, it wasn't for the most part. And it didn't help when Overshown was lost in preseason and LVE shortly after.
That is not correct. Dan Quinn has been allowed to build his DEF. He has not prioritised the LB position,

vlad

Reaction score
This is great news guys - say hello to your new goal line LB - I'm skinny fat but I think that's a secret weapon in our D

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sadly I think 2024 is probably his last year in the NFL.
I think that depends on whether or not the Cowboys return to the playoffs and how they do there. Martin doesn't talk a lot but from what he does say, I'm of the opinion that he desperately wants a ring. So if he's healthy and the team improves (not likely, I know but nobody knows for sure) then he might stick it out for 3-4 more years....

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So many people are just out for revenge. It can--and likely will--get worse if Quinn leaves.
Yeah, the players were just busting their butts for Quinn.
When's the last time you saw dlaw's motor running wide open every play.

Yeah, they finished poorly. But I still say that's because they found out he was gonna be leaving.
As they say, there was a disturbance in the force.lol

He also used some players skills to cover other players warts.

erod

Reaction score
That is not correct. Dan Quinn has been allowed to build his DEF. He has not prioritised the LB position,
Stephen refuses to spend money in free agency. Ain't happening. That's the problem.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm glad he's back, if he sucks we can just blame jerry. don't worry about the job he does. Jerry sucks...

1942willys

Reaction score
My problem with Quinn is his performance in the big games. He seems unable to make game time adjustments

rambo2

Reaction score
yeah I know you will be happy as a pig in slop if we win 12 games again and flop in the playoffs
I'll be happy if they get the 1 and win in the playoffs. There is no telling what Dan Campbell will do after the fiasco we saw against the 49ers.

Gambit

Reaction score
Ben Johnson staying with the Lions so he is off table. Quinn has had or scheduled to have 2nd interviews with Commanders and Seattle

blueblood70

Reaction score
sorry that we can't have a discussion without you feeling that I'm "coming at you".
2d44bd7b-f411-4078-82c2-e3a4a5549390.jpg

Eddie

Reaction score
Dun matter. We've had hundreds of coaches ... nothing will change with JJ in charge.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Me, I don't subscribe to the belief that coaches actually make the difference. You need high quality coaches, but the delta between the best defensive coordinator and replacement-level coordinator is not compelling.

It's about the players fundamentally.

I hope Quinn remains because I think we have enjoyed an upper tier coordinator who (as the evidence affirms) probably should be a head coach somewhere. And I think there is value in continuity that goes unappreciated more often than not.

So, I'll be disappointed if he leaves, but I know there are other high caliber coordinators still looking for jobs, and I trust the opening would attract one of those.

The bigger more confounding concern is what changes we're going to be able to make on the field. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.
as much as i can get on board agreeing with you , if you have a coordinator who constantly trying to force his scheme on the players and its not working but refuses to adapt and Change to payer strengths, especially after losing some do to injury, he could become an issue.. sometimes change is good for both parties....

_sturt_

Reaction score
refuses to adapt
I'd understood this was considered a DQ strength, actually. That is, the babble I'd heard after his hiring originally was that he'd essentially reassessed his convictions while he was unemployed... in similar vein to what McCarthy was advertised as having done... and, indeed... adapted. Hence all the success and all the regard gained as a result.

If you're going to let him go...

sometimes change is good for both parties
... then that to me is the more reasonable motive.

I just caution that that comes with its own price/risk.

I don't think the failings of the 2023 defense primarily laid with the coordinator. I believe it was personnel, and by quite a large margin. I can't know that w/o hidden mics and cams, but that's just my sense based on all I came to understand from the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.