Looking like Dan Quinn will return

Status
Not open for further replies.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love Dan Quinn back. What happened against GB and the run this year was not his fault. We lost LVE, Diggs, Hankins for a while, Gilmore was hurt vs GB which forced us into a zone and Mazi did not take the next step.
Yep if Quinn leaves they'll be whining "what happened to the defense "?

cowboyed

Reaction score
I wonder why Quinn seemingly does not secure head coaching positions post-interview readily over the years. Too defense-centric or not overall team development oriented? Unreasonable amount of control expectant? A mixed bag of success having been a head coach?

CWR

Reaction score
I honestly don't care much in either direction. Quinn crapped the bed, but perhaps his defense needs players to execute. The Legion of boom days he had KJ Wright, Wagner or whatever other 245lbs. It wasn't a filed full of safeties.

I'm hoping they find what they need this off season.

Not thrilled about Quinn but I don't expect to find better with our lame duck coach.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's not a quick fix sadly. . A lot more than "almost there" and just "a few pieces".
I don't truly believe that they've been finding ways to keep this team winning 12 games winning the division twice in the last three years being in the playoffs all three years the last three years literally hard to do in this league to win that many regular season games this consistently and it is a few pieces that's all any team does every year's hope that in the draft and free agency you fill enough holes and stay healthy enough to at least advance in the playoffs and that's what we are and it's gonna take a little luck along the way to get us past where we wanna be....

You're entitled to your opinion but just because the last game is so entrenched in your mind you forget that we have so many young players that are really good we picked up some good free agents last year and cooks and veterans like Gilmore they got this team in the playoffs the number two seed you just don't drop off a Cliff typically especially when you don't make those crazy high risk moves that put your team in jeopardy...

So I believe we are a few pieces away yes that is what we are we have a very good core and simply need to get a running back at a linebacker and fill a few other holes and just hope that we stay healthy enough to get back where we were to have another shot at getting that one game further that we need to this year banana FC championship game that's what we're hoping..

So if you're gonna come at me again with a reply that says I'm wrong I'm just gonna come back and say you're wrong so let's just leave it at that you believe we're a big gap away and I don't... Let's see how willing Jerry Jones in this front office is knowing that the window is about to slam shut and see what they do see if they're running this back with truly making a few extra moves this year than they would have in past years given the big gut punch and the fact that they're getting older Jerry's not gonna be around very much longer everyone said he wouldn't put Jimmy in the Ring of Honor while he was alive and they were wrong and all the people that thought it was a curse also were wrong but the fact is maybe Jerry is willing to do a little bit more he knows this is becoming shorter and shorter...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I honestly don't care much in either direction. Quinn crapped the bed, but perhaps his defense needs players to execute. The Legion of boom days he had KJ Wright, Wagner or whatever other 245lbs. It wasn't a filed full of safeties.

I'm hoping they find what they need this off season.

Not thrilled about Quinn but I don't expect to find better with our lame duck coach.
As much as I agree with you I don't like Dan Quinn and his defenses they were not all small linebackers my man maybe you wanna look up Clark as close to 245 Evans 240 and Leighton vander as you got hurt 247 I I don't know what you think you were watching but yes when he runs his schemes he uses smaller hybrid linebackers to mix in with a guy like Leighton vander ash or Evans or Clark The thing is we just need better versions of them we need a better bigger linebacker not just bigger linebackers and that goes for the defensive line I look along all the top defensive lines and if you look at all our players that we run out there from left to right we are not small he chooses to run out smaller lineups because he's choosing his schemes far too often playing too much nickel and dime but we do have bigger players on this team whether you like it or not the problem is Dan Quinn not using them more on the field together and being whatever it is maybe his ego or that's all he knows that is why most of us want him gone... But it's a that narrative saying that his players are too small we've had some big linebackers here just this year...

The question is if he is retained here does Jerry and McCarthy go in and ask him to adjust his schemes just like Mike McCarthy tried to do this offseason didn't completely change our offense but change it enough and even on that front if you wanna talk about small players how about you talk about our running backs maybe our center etcetera etcetera we have players all over that can be improved but to say we have small linebackers is ridiculous... We simply need better versions of those bigger linebackers and we need a defensive coordinator that's willing to put them out there in the right schemes not with these weird lineups with giant gaps all over the place that invite the run game I mean look at some of this video and playback and some of these lineups when they run the football against us it looks like just about anybody can run the football against us...

blueblood70

Reaction score
So many people are just out for revenge. It can--and likely will--get worse if Quinn leaves.
Look as much as people wanna believe that they're scared to make change look I seen his defenses or at least his lack of or willingness to run out actual schemes that can stop the run play more traditional football instead of needing big turnovers high risk if the sack doesn't get there or create a turnover they can't stop anyone look at all the big games this year this is no better than rod marinelli or even at times it looks like Mike Nolan has been back...

The fact is we have a lot of really good players on defense they're not being utilized properly and we need to get better at linebacker and stopping the run and running schemes out there that can literally run those types of players out there to stop the run... His dime and nickel packages are worn out here I'm sorry he literally seems unwilling or unable to run a scheme that lines up more traditional 4334 or 335 or whatever the hell you want to call it they just don't do it here he runs his nickel and Dimes out way too much expects undersized players to somehow overachieve..

So again, I'm not sure what you're watching by saying you could get worse literally every big game this season this defense has got ran over and even in the game we nearly lost the Seattle game at home we barely got that win because his defense was terrible... Go back and check the facts I am betting more than half the games this year they gave up a touchdown or field goal on the first drive and also many games gave up a score on the very first drive out of halftime they literally getting walked over people are up in this guy's head they know what's coming he's becoming the Kellen Moore of defense it's not that he's bad but his schemes are just not getting it done...

blueblood70

Reaction score
He’s the D version of Bieniemy
I don't know man I call Dan Quinn looking more like Kellen Moore, his games aren't ,bad they can work a majority of the time but in the biggest games he's playing checkers and other people are playing chess they know what's coming they seem to realize that he won't get out of nickel and dime enough when they look over at the formation the quarterback easily says OK let's run the football because they're not going to get out of this defense like in the Buffalo game literally then start chucking it down the field when he makes adjustments which is very rare.... Dan Quinn's not bad but his scheme is pretty much in jeopardy of just being outdated and easily picked apart by the better offensive coordinators....

Jayinem

Reaction score
The definition of insanity is trying something new and expecting different results.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
With the way Jerry has set up the coaching staff to fail, the two most likely scenarios for Quinn would be a HC gig or a multi-year contract as DC elsewhere. The loss of Quin will be devastating because I don't see a good coach wanting to come to Dallas on what could essentially be a 1-year stint.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Me, I don't subscribe to the belief that coaches actually make the difference. You need high quality coaches, but the delta between the best defensive coordinator and replacement-level coordinator is not compelling.

It's about the players fundamentally.

I hope Quinn remains because I think we have enjoyed an upper tier coordinator who (as the evidence affirms) probably should be a head coach somewhere. And I think there is value in continuity that goes unappreciated more often than not.

So, I'll be disappointed if he leaves, but I know there are other high caliber coordinators still looking for jobs, and I trust the opening would attract one of those.

The bigger more confounding concern is what changes we're going to be able to make on the field. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

Sydla

Reaction score
This should surprise zero people if it comes to pass.

For all the BS that Jerry likes to sell as him being a rebel and a wildcat and taking risks, he's more the opposite. He's afraid of change, especially now in his later years.
Jerry sold McCarthy and this staff as what would put us over the top, something Garrett couldn't do, hence why he was let go. And yet 4 years later, the results are basically the same culminating with another first round knock out where we got blown off the field. That required a shake up. But we will get none.

Compare us to Philly. Yeah, they kept Sirianni but they are basically gutting the rest of the staff with two new coordinators and some new assistants. What are we doing? Nothing. The only "change" that might have happened would have been out of our control - guys getting jobs elsewhere. Jerry literally did ZERO to address the failures of this season.

He's a silly, old fool. And we the fans have to suffer year after year after year because he's too stubborn to see what even most average fans can see.

erod

Reaction score
My gosh, people.

Quinn is an excellent defensive coordinator. But he needs linebackers.

He was forced to play safeties at linebacker, which worked against weak running teams but was obliterated by good ones.

Players matter.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
I don't truly believe that they've been finding ways to keep this team winning 12 games winning the division twice in the last three years being in the playoffs all three years the last three years literally hard to do in this league to win that many regular season games this consistently and it is a few pieces that's all any team does every year's hope that in the draft and free agency you fill enough holes and stay healthy enough to at least advance in the playoffs and that's what we are and it's gonna take a little luck along the way to get us past where we wanna be....

You're entitled to your opinion but just because the last game is so entrenched in your mind you forget that we have so many young players that are really good we picked up some good free agents last year and cooks and veterans like Gilmore they got this team in the playoffs the number two seed you just don't drop off a Cliff typically especially when you don't make those crazy high risk moves that put your team in jeopardy...

So I believe we are a few pieces away yes that is what we are we have a very good core and simply need to get a running back at a linebacker and fill a few other holes and just hope that we stay healthy enough to get back where we were to have another shot at getting that one game further that we need to this year banana FC championship game that's what we're hoping..

So if you're gonna come at me again with a reply that says I'm wrong I'm just gonna come back and say you're wrong so let's just leave it at that you believe we're a big gap away and I don't... Let's see how willing Jerry Jones in this front office is knowing that the window is about to slam shut and see what they do see if they're running this back with truly making a few extra moves this year than they would have in past years given the big gut punch and the fact that they're getting older Jerry's not gonna be around very much longer everyone said he wouldn't put Jimmy in the Ring of Honor while he was alive and they were wrong and all the people that thought it was a curse also were wrong but the fact is maybe Jerry is willing to do a little bit more he knows this is becoming shorter and shorter...
sorry that we can't have a discussion without you feeling that I'm "coming at you".

Majic

Reaction score
My gosh, people.

Quinn is an excellent defensive coordinator. But he needs linebackers.

He was forced to play safeties at linebacker, which worked against weak running teams but was obliterated by good ones.

Players matter.
but that was his call

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Big Martin fan, but I would take Larry Allen everyday of the week over Martin
Larry at his best at G is probably better, and he also made All Pro at T. Better claim for the best olineman of all time, but Zack ends up with a better career at G.

Status
Not open for further replies.