Looking like Dan Quinn will return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks are rumored to be waiting for Ravens Defensive Coordinator Mike MacDonald, and it looks like Washington want the Lions Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson. That means the Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is likely to return to Dallas for the 2024 season. Both he and Mike McCarthy will be on short contracts. 2024 could be a do or die year for the Cowboys coaches. They really need to get it right.

There are some players getting near the end also: Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Leighton Vander Esch will be in the final year of their deals. Cooks is signed for one more season, also. But Lewis, Gilmore, Hankins, Pollard, Kearse, Gallimore and Tyron Smith will all be free agents.

Could the Cowboys bring back CB Anthony Brown to play the slot, since he's had a full year to heal from his injury?
They had an opportunity to get him in for interviews during the bye week but dragged their feet. So I don't know, if they were that interested at the time they likely would have requested an interview. Maybe the current candidates haven't impressed and they're reconsidering options, we'll see.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks are rumored to be waiting for Ravens Defensive Coordinator Mike MacDonald, and it looks like Washington want the Lions Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson. That means the Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is likely to return to Dallas for the 2024 season. Both he and Mike McCarthy will be on short contracts. 2024 could be a do or die year for the Cowboys coaches. They really need to get it right.

There are some players getting near the end also: Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Leighton Vander Esch will be in the final year of their deals. Cooks is signed for one more season, also. But Lewis, Gilmore, Hankins, Pollard, Kearse, Gallimore and Tyron Smith will all be free agents.

Could the Cowboys bring back CB Anthony Brown to play the slot, since he's had a full year to heal from his injury?
The Cowboys under Jerry Jones leadership have not gotten in right for the last 28 years.
Why would anyone logically think year 29 will be any different?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd love Dan Quinn back. What happened against GB and the run this year was not his fault. We lost LVE, Diggs, Hankins for a while, Gilmore was hurt vs GB which forced us into a zone and Mazi did not take the next step.
Well you’re the only one so far that I’ve seen.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
This season or rather this off season I get the feeling that Quinn has been more open to talk to teams with HC vacancies. I know he really wanted the Denver job a couple of years ago. But up until this year he seemed pleased and settled in as the Cowboys DC. Currently he is interviewing hard with anyone and everyone who sends out an invite. There could be any number or reasons for that. Among them but not limited to this list:

1) He is ready to be HC again and run his own show.
2) The Cowboys may be considering moving on from him and he senses it. Jones and Son and/or MM may be considering a change.
3) He is losing confidence in the Cowboys. There are a lot of holes to work on with both the D and O. And Cowboy management is not the greatest of mending a needy roster.
4) Could he be like some of the players and questioning the ability and confidence of the QB to get the job done in big games?
5) He just wants a change. A different bunch of guys and personalities in a new locker room.

What do you think?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I'd love Dan Quinn back. What happened against GB and the run this year was not his fault. We lost LVE, Diggs, Hankins for a while, Gilmore was hurt vs GB which forced us into a zone and Mazi did not take the next step.
I still view the Green Bay game as his fault since he saw how the Packers were torching the defense in a certain look he kept on giving them on defense and he refused to adjust or try to change up. In an attempt to at least see if different schemes and getting pressure on Love could help slow the Packers offense down.

Hope he doesn't come back.

Loso86

Reaction score

Just draft lol or bring 21 back and put Daron there lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Quinn: I don't think he went all in to sell himself to teams as a Head Coaching candidate. He enjoys being a DC and Jerry is paying him well.

Anthony Brown: If his agents calls the Cowboys and asks for a camp tryout, they'll probablly give him one; however, I don't think they'll reach out to him otherwise.
- He was good in the slot before the injury but some players just don't recover from injury sufficiently, especially when they were just OK talentwise pre-injury.

CB overall: Diggs and Bland will be the expected starters on the outside.
- Lewis likely earned himself a decent contract with another team; although, the Cowboys kept him in 2023 for 5M despite his post-injury ability being unknown.
- Gilmore would have to accept a role/contract as the 3rd CB in order to return.
- The issue is that none of Diggs Gilmore or Bland are "burner" types. Teams need one uber fast CB (In My Opinion). for matchup purposes.
- Quinn was scared of the speed that Green Bay had at WR but also knew stopping GB's run game would be a problem.
- They probably need to spend more time in the off-season practicing zone coverage. Trying to switch to zone prior to the playoffs was not a good idea.

DLaw was good in 2023. The cost to keep him in 2024 is 10M which is not huge considering what top DEs are getting paid now.

McCarthy: Due to being in the last year of his contract, he'll be fired is they don't make it to the Super Bowl.
- Jerry has no emotional ties to McCarthy like he did with Garrett.

Zack Martin: His 2024 salary is 18M guaranteed. He signed a new 2 year contract last summer after his holdout.
- He did not play very well in 2023.
- Martin was the 3rd best OLineman on the team in 2023.
- Tyron and Tyler were better when ZM.

Thorn

Reaction score

That news is as depressing as the score and play in the the Green Bay game. Geeze, what a let down.

visionary

Reaction score
I am not convinced Quinn will be coming back, even if he doesn't get a HC job. I could be wrong, but I think Jerry has held off commenting about Quinn or firing him so he doesn't damage his chances of getting an HC job somewhere else.

I would still like to know if the interviewing teams asked him what happened to his defense against GB and if so how he answered.
Quinn stayed for Jerry for 2 years
Hes coming back if he wants to

Worst case would be that we suck and MM is fired and we get Quinn and Dak next year

That would be suicide territory for thinking Cowboys fans

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I agree, for the most part. Quinn has transformed the defense without good DTs and basically any LBs. We literally went from dog**** to top 10. That said, I think he needs to adapt his scheme better and should have less say in personnel. I'm not confident that he's any good at scouting players. And Jerry and co are too reliant on him making do with subpar players.

Status
Not open for further replies.