Looking like Dan Quinn will return

Status
Not open for further replies.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Zack Martin: His 2024 salary is 18M guaranteed. He signed a new 2 year contract last summer after his holdout.
- He did not play very well in 2023.
- Martin was the 3rd best OLineman on the team in 2023.
- Tyron and Tyler were better when ZM.
You could easily make the argument that the line performed better when the backups were in the game. Just sayin.

Maybe he will be healthier in 2024 but people need to get over the idea that he is still an elite player. That ship has sailed.

Last years contract extension was another example of this team paying "their" guys A) for past performance \ comfort level and\or B) they let the player use their failure to have a replacement ready as leverage against them.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not convinced Quinn will be coming back, even if he doesn't get a HC job. I could be wrong, but I think Jerry has held off commenting about Quinn or firing him so he doesn't damage his chances of getting an HC job somewhere else.

I would still like to know if the interviewing teams asked him what happened to his defense against GB and if so how he answered.
Very intriguing turn of events to have the defense look lost and playing prevent and zone. Makes me wonder if there were behind the scenes events between he and Jerry.

Gambit

Reaction score
Zack Martin is not still playing "very" well. It's ok to say players are declining.
Doing what is best for the team requires the team to make the decision to move on sometimes regardless of career accolades
Well pro football network and fox sports, just groups who would disagree.

He played thru a change to a horrendously bad blocking scheme and lower leg injury all year long and was still one of the top right guards in football.

Even a "declining" Zach Martin is better than most.

It's okay to look at things as they are.

Gambit

Reaction score
example of this team paying "their" guys A) for past performance
Tell me, how do you think second and 3rd contracts work?

Players are paid for previous years body of work. No team in league does it differently. Ands willfully being dishonest to suggest otherwise.

One of the dumbest arguments in the history of arguments. I mean seriously you can't possibly believe others aren't paid based off past performance. NFL contracts are futures contracts.

Thorn

Reaction score
I agree, for the most part. Quinn has transformed the defense without good DTs and basically any LBs. We literally went from dog**** to top 10. That said, I think he needs to adapt his scheme better and should have less say in personnel. I'm not confident that he's any good at scouting players. And Jerry and co are too reliant on him making do with subpar players.
Isn’t this the same coach who blew the biggest lead in history in the Super Bowl? Same coach that had Mazi drop weight? Same coach who could not stop the run last year as well? Same coach who played man majority of the season until Green Bay? He needs to go!!!

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Isn’t this the same coach who blew the biggest lead in history in the Super Bowl? Same coach that had Mazi drop weight? Same coach who could not stop the run last year as well? Same coach who played man majority of the season until Green Bay? He needs to go!!!
You'll be hard pressed to find a coach that doesn't have a blight on his resume. Bottom line is our defense went from a gigantic weakness to a strength. Their ability to turn the ball over literally won games for us, scoring when the offense couldn't. I'm not sure how long you've been around, but pre-Quinn we'd be lucky to get 10 ints in a year, let alone 10 by one player (in two separate years).

The run defense is bad, yes. The reliance on oversized S is bad, yes. But the personnel is also bad. The players we have aren't good enough. With what he's been provided, he's done a fantastic job in Dallas.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'd love Dan Quinn back. What happened against GB and the run this year was not his fault. We lost LVE, Diggs, Hankins for a while, Gilmore was hurt vs GB which forced us into a zone and Mazi did not take the next step.
A good analysis here...but yet, on Mazi. He got time on the clock which is what he needed. He will grow well now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You'll be hard pressed to find a coach that doesn't have a blight on his resume. Bottom line is our defense went from a gigantic weakness to a strength. Their ability to turn the ball over literally won games for us, scoring when the offense couldn't. I'm not sure how long you've been around, but pre-Quinn we'd be lucky to get 10 ints in a year, let alone 10 by one player (in two separate years).

The run defense is bad, yes. The reliance on oversized S is bad, yes. But the personnel is also bad. The players we have aren't good enough. With what he's been provided, he's done a fantastic job in Dallas.
Look again perhaps. There is a lot of talent which was only 4 months older than the youngest team age of Green Bay.

The run has to be defensed. That probably doesn't break the bank.

The draft should provide 3 players that get some serious on the clock time as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
no player has the "right" to decide when he comes or goes.
Produce or pack up. Doesn't matter what you did yesterday. Today is all that matters.
He was talking player respect...there seems to be very little of that on site at present. I liked it...

CCBoy

Reaction score
GREAT! Another year of our corners playing 9 and 10 yards off the WR's and everyone on the forum wondering why everyone is always wide open!!!!! Can't wait!!
That was a single game against Green Bay. The secondary actually was very good through the season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys collapse has basically deflated DQ’s value. But we’re glad to have him back. Lol

We like our guys. 12-5 “3-Peat” is best run with Jethro & Son post Jimmy’s team era.
:muttley: Ever tried bowling? Most of the problem isn't here and now upon either Jerry or Stephen.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Tyron Smith contract is up ? Didht know that . I would only bring him back at vet minimum given the half dozen games or so per season he needs to mend . Boy oh boy LVE is done I have no doubt and the LB position is paper thin . OL and LB critical at the draft . And find a RB to pair with Pollard ( pay cut )
Sure.

Who we replace him with? Tyler. Pass.

Tyron still elite. Even for his age.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
We're getting a couple of hurt lbs and a fatty on defense. Quinn will be fine.

Just blame jerry and run it back again.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I have plenty of popcorn... :popcorn:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I'd love Dan Quinn back. What happened against GB and the run this year was not his fault. We lost LVE, Diggs, Hankins for a while, Gilmore was hurt vs GB which forced us into a zone and Mazi did not take the next step.
The head hunters don't care about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.