Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

erod

Reaction score
One meaningless preseason game, I know. First live action in the NFL, yes, I know. But last night was decidedly unimpressive last night from Taco Charlton.

So I went back and watched his snaps again. Maybe I just missed something while the defense was getting torched early. Maybe it wasn't that bad. Maybe I need to chill.

Nope, it was even worse than I thought.

Absolutely no explosion off the snap. No twitch or quickness to him. No strength to push the pocket whatsoever. Not a single pass rush move that even looked like a pass rush move.

And this was against scrubs. He played like a three-toed sloth. Moved like molasses.

I realize pass rushers generally take a year or two to get their feet under them in the NFL. But even before that, you can see athleticism and that "special" quality that made them worthy of a first-round pick. You could see it immediately in Demarcus Ware. Randy Gregory looked different than the others. Demarcus Lawrence's athleticism was apparent. Charles Tapper certainly looks the part, even as a 4th-rounder.

I was hoping Taco could become a poor man's Greg Ellis. I'm afraid this is just another Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, or Ebennezer Ekuban.

I just see nothing there at all. I hope desperately that I'm wrong.

phildadon86

Reaction score
One meaningless preseason game, I know. First live action in the NFL, yes, I know. But last night was decidedly unimpressive last night from Taco Charlton.

So I went back and watched his snaps again. Maybe I just missed something while the defense was getting torched early. Maybe it wasn't that bad. Maybe I need to chill.

Nope, it was even worse than I thought.

Absolutely no explosion off the snap. No twitch or quickness to him. No strength to push the pocket whatsoever. Not a single pass rush move that even looked like a pass rush move.

And this was against scrubs. He played like a three-toed sloth. Moved like molasses.

I realize pass rushers generally take a year or two to get their feet under them in the NFL. But even before that, you can see athleticism and that "special" quality that made them worthy of a first-round pick. You could see it immediately in Demarcus Ware. Randy Gregory looked different than the others. Demarcus Lawrence's athleticism was apparent. Charles Tapper certainly looks the part, even as a 4th-rounder.

I was hoping Taco could become a poor man's Greg Ellis. I'm afraid this is just another Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, or Ebennezer Ekuban.

I just see nothing there at all. I hope desperately that I'm wrong.
After one game? Yeah, lets cut him. :facepalm:. You know I hate Stephen A Smith, but hes right about a lot of our fanbase. What a ridiculous statement after one freaking game. This guys has gotten better every year in college, and that was his first NFL experience. You see nothing and are already comparing him to Pittman and Carver? Lets pump the brakes a little bit here man.

CWR

Reaction score
We get it already, u hate Taco. If I can beg your pardon Ill try not to over react like a middle school girl and instead give him a little time to develop before I come to the conclusion he is a waste of space.

EST_1986

Reaction score
After one game? Yeah, lets cut him. :facepalm:. You know I hate Stephen A Smith, but hes right about a lot of our fanbase. What a ridiculous statement after one freaking game. This guys has gotten better every year in college, and that was his first NFL experience. You see nothing and are already comparing him to Pittman and Carver? Lets pump the brakes a little bit here man.
Dude, the transition should be seamless from college to the NFL don't you know this???

erod

Reaction score
Overreaction Friday.

Taco will be a good player in NFL.

Because.........?

Slowest lineman on the field with absolutely no strength at all. Got manhandled by guys that probably won't make the Arizona roster.

Imagine how bad he would have looked against real NFL starters.

CWR

Reaction score

Thats pretty much been his narrative all along. He wont stop blabbing about how much Taco sux.

erod

Reaction score
I couldn't care less about the game. I'm watching HIM.

He's had an atrocious camp. And last night against scrubs, he looked painfully slow and weak. Got destroyed repeatedly by guys that are going to hit the waiver wire.

Reaction score

I'm not declaring him a bust. But I am seriously questioning whether Watt would have been the better pick. In PIT camp, from the videos I've seen, he's more explosive and made some splash plays against OL. I'm not crying over spilt milk, but in my mind, the two players are linked. Will root hard for Taco tho.

Verdict

Reaction score

Maybe you just don't like the conclusion the OP reached? He said it was just one game, Taco sucked, and he hoped Taco would prove him wrong. He sounds like he is being pretty fair to me.

Proximo

Reaction score
LOL

OP starts off by acknowledging that it was one pointless preseason game......and then goes on to write a novel about how bad our 1st round pick sucks anyway.

Some of ya'll are funny. Good entertainment at least.

The 1st couple dozen pages of the "in game" thread were pretty funny like this too.

erod

Reaction score
Here's Taco's best play of the game. Seriously.

Reactions: BAT

Verdict

Reaction score
I haven't watched the game closely enough, but the few plays I focused on Tapper he didn't get there, and on some plays he took himself out of the play, but the explosion was there. At least he gives the staff something to work with.

Reactions: BAT

erod

Reaction score
LOL

OP starts off by acknowledging that it was one pointless preseason game......and then goes on to write a novel about how bad our 1st round pick sucks anyway.

Some of ya'll are funny. Good entertainment at least.

The 1st couple dozen pages of the "in game" thread were pretty funny like this too.

The game is meaningless. The score is meaningless.

It's the Super Bowl for the rookies as individuals. I'm concerned that our first-round pick, who should look dominant against scrubs, looked worse than the scrubs.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
@erod had already made up his mind before even seeing Taco play, so there is a definite bias there.

Taco did not have a good game last night, but only played about 15 snaps and in some of those snaps, he dropped into coverage (only seven pass rush attempts). He's going to take some time. He needs to get stronger and learn some better technique, but he has the measurables, work ethic, and the coaching to succeed

Awuzie did not have the best game either, btw.

erod

Reaction score
I haven't watched the game closely enough, but the few plays I focused on Tapper he didn't get there, and on some plays he took himself out of the play, but the explosion was there. At least he gives the staff something to work with.
Tapper looks like a home run as a 4th-round pick.

I hoped he would because I thought OU wasted his ability in college asking him to pay a run-stuffing end in a 3-4 scheme. The dude is relentless, and the one time Stoops abandoned the 3-4 against Alabama, Tapper was dominant.

He will help the pass rush.