Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I don't think he was nearly as bad as you suggest. ON the first series he was consistently the first Cowboy off the snap. He was doubled on one pass rush and showed a good spin move. Never saw him get "manhandled" as you claim. Definitely a lot to work on but he still has a lot of time.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Your comparing him to the wrong kind of players. In my mind I envision an Aldon Smith kind of player in the best case scenario. He has tools you can't teach, but he needs to learn to play lower. He still plays very high and this is why you see him get pushed around.

dware94

Reaction score
Because.........?

Slowest lineman on the field with absolutely no strength at all. Got manhandled by guys that probably won't make the Arizona roster.

Imagine how bad he would have looked against real NFL starters.

Imagine this being the first contact game he's played in 7 months, let alone a new system/league. Do you not think he was a little overwhelmed trying to digest his assignments, hence the hesitation off the snap? Let's tap the brakes and give these guys some time to knock off the rust.

erod

Reaction score
@erod had already made up his mind before even seeing Taco play, so there is a definite bias there.

Taco did not have a good game last night, but only played about 15 snaps and in some of those snaps, he dropped into coverage (only seven pass rush attempts). He's going to take some time. He needs to get stronger and learn some better technique, but he has the measurables, work ethic, and the coaching to succeed

Awuzie did not have the best game either, btw.
Not true. I watched him play. I looked for something. Anything. There was nothing, and even worse, there was zero athleticism on display.

Why did we pick a guy like this?

I bounced around Twitter to see if I was imagining things. Nope, that's the opinion of him across the board so far.

erod

Reaction score
Your comparing him to the wrong kind of players. In my mind I envision an Aldon Smith kind of player in the best case scenario. He has tools you can't teach, but he needs to learn to play lower. He still plays very high and this is why you see him get pushed around.

What tools? The dude looks slow as hell and weak. Perhaps he can get in the gym and be a DT one day, I guess.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Well, then that's what the DL coaches are for (Lett, etc), to work with him on other moves besides his speed rush. The guy is raw, he had 1 good year in College.

erod

Reaction score
Imagine this being the first contact game he's played in 7 months, let alone a new system/league. Do you not think he was a little overwhelmed trying to digest his assignments, hence the hesitation off the snap? Let's tap the brakes and give these guys some time to knock off the rust.
Assignments? He's a defensive end. Go get the QB with your first-round talent. That's it.

erod

Reaction score
Well, then that's what the DL coaches are for (Lett, etc), to work with him on other moves besides his speed rush. The guy is raw, he had 1 good year in College.
Which begs the question, why draft a 5th-round talent in the first round then?

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
What tools? The dude looks slow as hell and weak. Perhaps he can get in the gym and be a DT one day, I guess.
He has good length and size. I knew he would be a player that would be highly criticized from the jump, but look at how he has developed throughout his football career. He has gotten better and better every year he has played. This has always lead me to believe that it will really take two full seasons before we start to get great production out of him. For now he just needs to work himself into the rotation.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Not true. I watched him play. I looked for something. Anything. There was nothing, and even worse, there was zero athleticism on display.

Why did we pick a guy like this?

I bounced around Twitter to see if I was imagining things. Nope, that's the opinion of him across the board so far.

Really, because in the last Taco thread you pretty much said the exact same thing while making up stuff about his College production and measurables. You need to remember that Taco was picked #28, not #1. Your not going to get an immediate QB killer at #28. It going to take some time.

erod

Reaction score
He has good length and size. I knew he would be a player that would be highly criticized from the jump, but look at how he has developed throughout his football career. He has gotten better and better every year he has played. This has always lead me to believe that it will really take two full seasons before we start to get great production out of him. For now he just needs to work himself into the rotation.
I hope he can do just that.

But why would the Cowboys, a team ready to win now if the defense could get good quick, draft a guy that "might" be good in two years?

Rueben Foster was right there. Can you imagine Foster, Jaylon, and Lee this year?

erod

Reaction score
Really, because in the last Taco thread you pretty much said the exact same thing while making up stuff about his College production and measurables. You need to remember that Taco was picked #28, not #1. Your not going to get an immediate QB killer at #28. It going to take some time.
What did I make up?

Rueben Foster was there. Budda Baker was there. Non-projects were there.

erod

Reaction score
This couldn't be more false.. Teams will run right at you with that approach, he has to set the edge on run plays.

And he got destroyed on the run plays. Steamrolled by guys hoping to make the Cardinals roster.

On passing downs, DEs don't "set the edge." They get to the QB. He got thrown around like a rag doll.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What did I make up?

Rueben Foster was there. Budda Baker was there. Non-projects were there.

You said he was slow (and I showed you he was in the upper percentiles for DEs) and you said he didn't do anything in college (and tI showed you he had the third best production of DEs in his last two years).

I'll trust McClay over you any day.