Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I hope he can do just that.

But why would the Cowboys, a team ready to win now if the defense could get good quick, draft a guy that "might" be good in two years?

Rueben Foster was right there. Can you imagine Foster, Jaylon, and Lee this year?
I think they see a guy that can lock down a defensive end position for 8 years. They totally took the player for the future where they were at. The only thing I will say about a LBer corp of Foster Lee and Smith is that there is a really bad track record of injury in that group.

erod

Reaction score
You said he was slow (and I showed you he was in the upper percentiles for DEs) and you said he didn't do anything in college (and tI showed you he had the third best production of DEs in his last two years).

I'll trust McClay over you any day.
Marinelli wanted a defensive end. It was his turn. They really wanted Tak McKinley, but settled for Charlton because the top 7 DEs were off the board.

I don't think McClay wanted him, but that's just a hunch.

They were desperate for pass rushers, but they were picked over by #28. I think they went with the warm body approach because of all the suspensions and injuries.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
You mean like Marcus Spears, Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, Marcus Smith, Ebennezer Ekuban........?

Spears was drafted pretty much where he was projected to go. Charlton went about where he was expected to. Just because some guys in the past didn't live up to their draft status doesn't make Charlton a bad pick.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Which begs the question, why draft a 5th-round talent in the first round then?

He is raw as I said. The coaches saw something in his college film more so than what you saw of him in college.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Marinelli wanted a defensive end. It was his turn. They really wanted Tak McKinley, but settled for Charlton because the top 7 DEs were off the board.

I don't think McClay wanted him, but that's just a hunch.

They were desperate for pass rushers, but they were picked over by #28. I think they went with the warm body approach because of all the suspensions and injuries.

I would have picked Watt. I wanted him on draft day!

Oh, well. What's done is done. It's just going to suck seeing Watt make game-changing plays and be The Man knowing we could have (should have) taken him.

erod

Reaction score

Oh, well. What's done is done. It's just going to suck seeing Watt make game-changing plays and be The Man knowing we could have (should have) taken him.
I liked Watt, too, but too much of a 3-4 outside linebacker, so not sure the fit would work.

I certainly didn't expect a project in round 1.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He needs a lot of work on his technique. He looked like he had the size and athleticism to be a solid DE, but his hand placement and technique is pretty putrid right now. He's certainly a project. While I like Marinelli and he knows more about D-Linemen than I could ever possibly know...he seems to be such a big effort and 'don't loaf' type of coach that it may be his blind spot when it comes to D-Linemen.

YR

Sydla

Reaction score
Too soon to write him off but when you watch Tapper and Taco, it was clear, at least for that game, who is the more athletic and potential high level edge rusher.

Reactions: BAT

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score

I was very fearful of Watt. The kid screams LBer to me. I just saw him lose at POA too often for my liking.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

They took the best pass-rusher available on their board, not a warm body. You poo-poo all you want, after 15 snaps in the hall of fame game, lol. I'll give the guy a chance.

dware94

Reaction score
And he got destroyed on the run plays. Steamrolled by guys hoping to make the Cardinals roster.

On passing downs, DEs don't "set the edge." They get to the QB. He got thrown around like a rag doll.

I specified on run plays. None of our DE's or anyone on the dlne was good last night. D. Moore was supposedly first rd talent, been in the league for 4 years and couldn't get a sack against guys "hoping to make the Cardinals roster".

erod

Reaction score
Spears was drafted pretty much where he was projected to go. Charlton went about where he was expected to. Just because some guys in the past didn't live up to their draft status doesn't make Charlton a bad pick.
There are busts. The Cowboys made huge strides in recent years by avoiding busts.

Frederick, Martin, Tyron, Zeke, Jones....those were instant starters who showed ability immediately as 1st-round picks.

Charlton looks like a 3-year project at best.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not declaring him a bust. But I am seriously questioning whether Watt would have been the better pick. In PIT camp, from the videos I've seen, he's more explosive and made some splash plays against OL. I'm not crying over spilt milk, but in my mind, the two players are linked. Will root hard for Taco tho.

I liked Watt too but based on reports, the Cowboys weren't sure he could ever be a 4-3 edge guy given his size and injury history.

I can't fault them for that.

erod

Reaction score
They took the best pass-rusher available on their board, not a warm body. You poo-poo all you want, after 15 snaps in the hall of fame game, lol. I'll give the guy a chance.
And the entire camp. He hasn't smelled a QB yet.