Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

Sydla

Reaction score
10-20% blitzes - that is not a small number of plays per game.
make them count
on 3 and longs, we have the option to blitz but with decent blitzers

It's not. You seem to think I am disagreeing with you on the concept of us blitzing more. I am not.

But what we want isn't necessarily reality in Marinelli's world. You have yet to provide any evidence that Marinelli wants to and will in fact, blitz more than he has in the past.

waldoputty

Reaction score
It's not. You seem to think I am disagreeing with you on the concept of us blitzing more. I am not.

But what we want isn't necessarily reality in Marinelli's world. You have yet to provide any evidence that Marinelli wants to and will in fact, blitz more than he has in the past.

whether it is blitzing more or have better blitzers for the blitzes we do use increase our chances - that is my point.

Sydla

Reaction score
whether it is blitzing more or have better blitzers for the blitzes we do use increase our chances - that is my point.

Of course having better players would help. But I am strictly talking about the sheer volume of blitzes and the fact that given we do not blitz a lot, it's unclear if certain players would even have value for us.

For example, if Watt can't be a hand on the ground DE for us and is best served as an OLB attacking the QB, does he make a lot of sense for us if we don't blitz all that much to take advantage of his skill set?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just admit it, the boys blew it with taco. Just accept it and move on is what I say. I mean did anyone think he was going to be dware or jj watt?
3 1/2 months after the draft and you want to admit the Cowboys blew it??? Seriously??? He was considered a top 15 pick in some mocks for a reason.

No one expected Taco to be the next Ware of Watt. He wasn't thought of as being that kind of player coming out. No one. You are just throwing that out there because you didn't like the pick.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Of course having better players would help. But I am strictly talking about the sheer volume of blitzes and the fact that given we do not blitz a lot, it's unclear if certain players would even have value for us.

For example, if Watt can't be a hand on the ground DE for us and is best served as an OLB attacking the QB, does he make a lot of sense for us if we don't blitz all that much to take advantage of his skill set?

if taco is yet another LDE/3-tech, we have plenty of those in tcrawford, dlaw, collins and paea
why another one?
this was sold by the FO as a RDE, not LDE.
watt could play SLB and be used as one of the 3-and-long blitzers.
with our offense, stopping the opponent 2 times more may win us a close game by not giving the other 8 seconds and a lawnchair and a victory cigar to boot.

Last edited:

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
It was a high risk low reward pick. If he is a decent rotation guy I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Frozen700

Reaction score
When we made the pick I was like really? Nothing significant jumped out at me.

We were better off just drafting best player available or a WR. Make the offense more potent

Sydla

Reaction score
if taco is yet another LDE/3-tech, we have plenty of those in tcrawford, dlaw, collins and paea
why another one?
with our offense, stopping the opponent 2 times more may win us a close game by not giving the other 8 seconds and a lawnchair and a victory cigar to boot.

No idea why we would take Taco. He wasn't my favorite pick.

But you continue to be all over the map here.

It's simple. You want us to blitz more. The reality is we likely won't because that's not what Marinelli does and has rarely done throughout his career.

I am not sure what more to tell you at this point.

waldoputty

Reaction score
No idea why we would take Taco. He wasn't my favorite pick.

But you continue to be all over the map here.

It's simple. You want us to blitz more. The reality is we likely won't because that's not what Marinelli does and has rarely done throughout his career.

I am not sure what more to tell you at this point.

no, we are not communicating.
i want us to get better blitzers.
it is not like we do 0 blitzes, so our blitzes would be more effective.
if the blitzes are more effective, then even marinelli may consider blitzing more.
if we blitz and dont get there, we are likely to get toasted and not want to blitz any more.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
why another one?

Because we need numbers on the DL.

D. Law has had a bad back and his contract is up after the year.

Gregory is Gregory.

Tapper had to sit out a season.

Who else is there? We were desperate for Dlinemen.

Taco was the right pick and if you guys will be patient he'll end up being a solid guy.

His technique and strength are garbage right now and those are things that he can improve on with effort and everything I've heard about the guy is how intelligent and how much of a hard worker he is.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
3 1/2 months after the draft and you want to admit the Cowboys blew it??? Seriously??? He was considered a top 15 pick in some mocks for a reason.

No one expected Taco to be the next Ware of Watt. He wasn't thought of as being that kind of player coming out. No one. You are just throwing that out there because you didn't like the pick.
We could have taken Cheeto or JLewis or some other CB in the first and ended up with a much worse DE

I like the way it turned out with Taco, Cheeto and JLewis

Charlton will be a solid rotation piece by mid-season going up against TSmith and LCollins all year

waldoputty

Reaction score
Because we need numbers on the DL.

D. Law has had a bad back and his contract is up after the year.

Gregory is Gregory.

Tapper had to sit out a season.

Who else is there? We were desperate for Dlinemen.

Taco was the right pick and if you guys will be patient he'll end up being a solid guy.

His technique and strength are garbage right now and those are things that he can improve on with effort and everything I've heard about the guy is how intelligent and how much of a hard worker he is.

i am not worry this early in camp.
let see where he is at at the end of camp and in the season.

for LDE/3-tech, we have crawford, collins and irving - EVEN after assuming Paea and Dlaw are gone in 2018.
for 2017, we have Paea and DLaw also - Taco makes it the 6th LDE/3tech type.
if he is not a RDE, what the heck are we doing?
the FO SOLD taco as a RDE after the draft, not yet another LDE/3tech.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We could have taken Cheeto or JLewis or some other CB in the first and ended up with a much worse DE

I like the way it turned out with Taco, Cheeto and JLewis

Charlton will be a solid rotation piece by mid-season going up against TSmith and LCollins all year
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: CWR

logan

Reaction score
Just admit it, the boys blew it with taco. Just accept it and move on is what I say. I mean did anyone think he was going to be dware or jj watt? He doesn't have a single thing he's amazing at. Ware had work ethic and technique along with speed. Watt has a relentless motor, Von Miller is the fastest dude I've ever seen off the edge. Taco is just a dude.
Its almost like guys drafted in the top of the first round have more talent than guys drafted at the bottom. Who knew?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Its almost like guys drafted in the top of the first round have more talent than guys drafted at the bottom. Who knew?

there were other choices where we were.
we could have moved up a little for takk or harris, or taken watt.
they drafted taco and told us he is rde, so some of us like to see our new rde.