Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

Verdict

Reaction score
I see him as a Strong Side DE. You know what I think there but the thing about playing DE for him is that he has to use bend and he has to be able to muscle a guy on the edge. He has some quickness off the snap to get upfield but, he doesn't have that quick twitch lightning fast first step that weaker players can use to flat beat a block. He isn't fast enough to simply use leverage up field to get position and beat a guy so he has to be able to use that initial step and then leverage a guy with strength IMO. Right now, he's just not strong enough.

The problem with the board, IMO, is that we have a team filled with Strong Side DEs and everybody really wanted that Rush End. I feel like we continue to draft the same guy, so to speak. It's kind of frustrating but you know what? Still does no good to rake these young guys over the coals after just one pre-season game.

Well said.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One meaningless preseason game, I know. First live action in the NFL, yes, I know. But last night was decidedly unimpressive last night from Taco Charlton.

So I went back and watched his snaps again. Maybe I just missed something while the defense was getting torched early. Maybe it wasn't that bad. Maybe I need to chill.

Nope, it was even worse than I thought.

Absolutely no explosion off the snap. No twitch or quickness to him. No strength to push the pocket whatsoever. Not a single pass rush move that even looked like a pass rush move.

And this was against scrubs. He played like a three-toed sloth. Moved like molasses.

I realize pass rushers generally take a year or two to get their feet under them in the NFL. But even before that, you can see athleticism and that "special" quality that made them worthy of a first-round pick. You could see it immediately in Demarcus Ware. Randy Gregory looked different than the others. Demarcus Lawrence's athleticism was apparent. Charles Tapper certainly looks the part, even as a 4th-rounder.

I was hoping Taco could become a poor man's Greg Ellis. I'm afraid this is just another Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, or Ebennezer Ekuban.

I just see nothing there at all. I hope desperately that I'm wrong.
dear Erod---- Oh man i noticed this about taco when he played at Michigan...even his 2 and 1/2 sacks against OSU...he is slow off the snap ..no real power..not pushing anyone back..if it were not for his long arms he would not make many sacks....i did not like the pick..i hope i am dead wrong

Verdict

Reaction score
Our fanbase's lack of objectivity is annoying. Taco sucked bad last night. That's all that is being said, and it was definitely true.

We can rejoice if he starts playing well. I do not think it is wrong to pile on the pick based on the ****** play displayed so far.

Verdict

Reaction score
Do you realize that people were calling Zeke a bust last year? Believe it or not this happened on this board. Then the season happened. The point is when will we learn to RELAX? Football is a sport of unseen development, chemistry, and infinite variables THAT CANNOT ALWAYS BE DETERMINED AFTER ONE PRESEASON GAME. This happens every year and it's shocking.

Man I don't remember any of that. I must have been drunk a lot.

Verdict

Reaction score
And how did that work out? I guess I'm looking for a perspective that I honestly shouldn't be If I'm being honest. It's a microwave world and people want instant conclusions. Have at it.

Yeah. That's possible. But you also seem to want to deny what we have seen so far is indicative of anything. That's not really fair? Is it?

Sydla

Reaction score
i recall a reasonable amount of blitzes, particularly when the base rush was not getting there.
get a better rush player, we may get 2 more blitzes home.
there is probably all we need with the offense we have.

Stats don't seem to back that up. I believe we've been ranked in the low teens and 20s in terms of blitz percentages over Marinelli's tenure.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
It sounds like you are describing an UDFA not a first round pick. I think maybe you are setting the bar too low, so that Taco can reach it???

Look, I don't hate the kid. Of course I wish he was going to be the stud on the DL that we so desperately need...but he's not. All of these qualifications and excuses posters here are throwing out about him (He's raw...he needs strength training...he needs to be coached...speed isn't his game) are INVALID when referring to a 1st round pick! If a 1st rounder has that many warts on him then he was not a good use of your 1st round pick. A first rounder should be an immediate starter and impact player...period. Guys who need time to get stronger and learn how to play are guys you grab in the late rounds. Mid rounds if his measurables are off the charts. Again, I hope I'm wrong. I REALLY hope I'm wrong because we both need an impact DE and the guy we DIDN'T draft is going to be a stud (Watt).

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Ulrick. John. One day when he is enshrined into Canton, we will marvel that Charlton was able to do half of what he did against that destroyer of worlds.
Martin, Zack could only aspire to sniff his jock...
Yes... we witnessed true greatness and some scoffed.

CWR

Reaction score
I get it. But it sounds like he is consistent in his position on Taco. Since there isn't any real convincing evidence that he won't be a bust, I would say his position on Taco isn't all that far fetched.

All of us want to see Taco excel. Can we at least agree that while he can't be labeled a bust yet, he hasn't shown he is going to contribute much, SO FAR? His opinion seeems as good as the other side at this point. Time will tell what Taco turns out to be.

Yes I can agree with that. What I cant agree with is Taco lacking in athletic ability or not having the tools to be a good player. Its just to early for me to go down that road.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Stats don't seem to back that up. I believe we've been ranked in the low teens and 20s in terms of blitz percentages over Marinelli's tenure.

10-20% blitzes - that is not a small number of plays per game.
make them count
on 3 and longs, we have the option to blitz but with decent blitzers

Bizwah

Reaction score
I've rewatched this game a couple of times. I focused on Taco.

Not once was he blown off the ball. His rushes weren't terrible. He was a tic slow.

Does he need to be better? Yes.

Was he as terrible as the original poster said? No.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Just admit it, the boys blew it with taco. Just accept it and move on is what I say. I mean did anyone think he was going to be dware or jj watt? He doesn't have a single thing he's amazing at. Ware had work ethic and technique along with speed. Watt has a relentless motor, Von Miller is the fastest dude I've ever seen off the edge. Taco is just a dude.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Yeah. That's possible. But you also seem to want to deny what we have seen so far is indicative of anything. That's not really fair? Is it?

The problem is the "so far" is a limited sample size to say the least. Some would consider condemning a young prospect this early in camp as an overreaction lacking proper perspective time? Are we free to discuss the progress of our prospects? Of course? It's the fact that many want to draw CONCLUSIONS and DEFINE that becomes irritating.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Just admit it, the boys blew it with taco. Just accept it and move on is what I say. I mean did anyone think he was going to be dware or jj watt? He doesn't have a single thing he's amazing at. Ware had work ethic and technique along with speed. Watt has a relentless motor, Von Miller is the fastest dude I've ever seen off the edge. Taco is just a dude.

Really? So it's over? Done?